Ben Davison deluded

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Canning, Nov 27, 2018.

1. CasualFan

CasualFan Active Member Full Member

Oct 23, 2013

I cringed a bit when I heard that... But that is just his age and inexperience talking :-D

Bit unfair to say he's deluded though.

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    People like to criticize Ben Davison because he's an easy target. He's young and inexperienced. No one knows him. But ..
    Like I've said before :
    Who the hell was Peter Fury before he started working with his nephew ?
    As far as I can tell Peter was 0-1 as a professional boxer, and was/is a businessman and was once a drugs manufacturer, money launderer and prisoner.
    Still, he did a fine job getting Tyson into shape for a few years and won the champinship from Klitschko.

Some of these trainers with big reputations are often overrated by the fans. Or at least they got their start when they happened to handle a very talented fighter. And once they've worked with a sucessful fighter they get more talented fighters interested in working with them.
    The idea that a boxer like Tyson Fury is reliant on any trainer for a "game plan" or "strategy" is nonsense.
    Sure, he needs a trainer he can work with who won't mess things up.

Working with Davison has brought Fury from a depressed and unmotivated 28 stone slob back to a motivated 18 stone fighter, so give the lad a break.

Blah, bbjc, im sparticus and 5 others like this.
  3. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Who was Adam Booth before Haye, Shane Mcguigan before Frampton? Both started as young and inexperienced trainers who are now highly rated...

Unforgiven likes this.
  4. SambaKing1993

SambaKing1993 Don't do it Zachary! Full Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Nonsense. Fury is milking this mental health thing to defend the whole situation with the Wlad rematches falling through. Most people think it's to deflect the whole PEDs thing. I've always been suspicious of the way the PED situation was handled, and knew they would target Fury after some of his comments, so I give Fury a pass in that regard.

I just think he didn't believe he could beat Wlad again & shat the bed. I've seen him make a couple of contradictions in the many mental health interviews he has done.

YearZero and BXNG101 like this.
  5. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Im not going to get into a back and forward about mental health with you on here but i think your original comment is poor and, as i said, a reason why people stay quiet.

dryzer likes this.
  6. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Everyone starts somewhere.

He already deserves credit for the impact he's had on Fury and getting him to shed such weight as well as regaining his love for the sport.

DJN16 likes this.
  7. SambaKing1993

Sep 17, 2018
    Being mentally ill is the cool thing to be these days. I don't know if you have noticed, mate. It's almost got as bad as the old "our armed forces don't get enough respect. They are the real heroes" virtue signalling fad that thankfully seems to have died down these past couple of years. And there is a sinister reason why this mental health stuff is being pushed.

There really is no stigma anymore. None at all. And predictably in this world driven by social acceptance, and how many likes you can get on social media, 99% of the people jumping on the bandwagon are opportunistic, attention seekers. "I've suffered greatly from Anxiety bla bla bla" says the slut who has her arse hanging out on her avatar. Harsh truth.

But I respect you can't be arsed with a back and forth on it.

YearZero, dreadlockno1 and BXNG101 like this.
  8. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    I have no doubt people play up in that way, social media is full of twats, on all sorts of issues but that doesnt get away from the fact people kill themselves everyday due to mental health issues and never speaking about it or getting the proper help. Very poor comments again.

Glenn McKrory and ryanm8655 like this.
  9. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    There is enough anecdotal evidence on video from friends and family that actually point to it being much worse than Tyson has made out. He was tested during his time out of boxing (tested positive twice for cocaine) and no PED's were found and has also passed every test since before and after the UKAD mess.

10. SambaKing1993

Sep 17, 2018
    Isaac Lowe and Shane are two who have made contradictory statements saying they never noticed he was "suffering" then in other videos talking the opposite.

Yes, I'm suspicious of the PED thing. As soon as Tyson said Zionists control what you hear and see then I knew he would pay the price lololol.

11. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Ben has done 2 corners since the bjs fight, both of which is easily argued, were squandered opportunitys
    Tyson is still only 29yrs old, he's hardly in his prime for making wise decisions.

12. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    If he didn't believe he could beat Wlad again he could have just turned up a bit fat and collected his career highest payday (by far!).
    I mean, if he didn't believe he could beat Wlad the second time, that suggest he never reckoned he'd win the first time either, but he turned up and got paid and ended up winning.

Fury totally schooled the inept Wlad the first time and I don't think he'd have had any problems with Wlad.
    Wlad was levels below Fury when they fought. It was a stinker of a fight but it wasn't even close. The robot malfunctioned.

13. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Anyone who throw away a $10 million payday in return for ZERO, then goes 10 stones overweight in a matter of months, is obviously not right mentally.

But I agree that he's milked the mental health thing as a gimmick. I don't blame him, considering the negativity he attracted when he had no script or gimmick whatsoever (which was largely his own doing, of course).

305th and velagod like this.
  14. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I've said before and will again. A guy winning by four rounds and landing on average three more punches a round isn't a schooling and never will be a schooling.

Aside from that particular personal bugbear, there is nothing to suggest that thinking he wouldn't win the second fight meant he didn't think he'd win the first. But my reading of that fight is that deep down, he knew he caught Wlad on an off night and that a fully focused Klitschko would be a different animal entirely.

Boxing is a weird sport in that fighters aren't allowed an off night. If Roger Federer loses to the world number fifty or MK Dons knock Man Utd out of the cup nobody says that's it; confirmation received; they're obviously better than them. We acknowledge an upset and understand that they happen. I'm disappointed we never saw the Klitschko rematch given as poor as the first was I think it asked a lot of questions which a rematch may have answered.

YearZero likes this.
  15. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Isn't there a question that he wasn't 'throwing it away.' He failed a drug test which he was retrospectively banned for?