Ben Davison or Freddy Roach should be Fury’ trainer?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Gennady, Dec 16, 2018.

Who should be Fury’s trainer?

1. Freddy Roach

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Ben Davison

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  1. Gennady

Gennady Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Even though Freddy was in Fury’s corner he didn’t talk, Davison was the boss.
    Roach said that he thinks he would make Fury a better fighter.

2. underwraps

underwraps Active Member Full Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Freddy for me. Ben has done a great job shifting the weight and maybe keeping his head right, but Freddy knows his stuff. Maybe it could work if Ben was still involved in some way.Fitness maybe.

3. Gil Gonzalez

Gil Gonzalez Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jun 15, 2012
    I don’t care for the way Roach has been criticizing Davison since the fight. Why is Roach campaigning for Davison’s job in the media? It’s a b**** move. And since everyone here thinks Fury is a better boxer than Ali on his best night, what does Fury need to switch trainers for?

4. bailey

bailey VIP Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I'm not educated enough to pass any real comments that have any real merit but I think Furys trainer did an amazing job. I thought he gave good advice during the fight and had Fury boxing really well.
    Why change that? They also appear to have a good relationship.
    I don't think Freddie would improve anything. I think Freddie likes working with the big names in high profile events, but don't think that helps Fury. I don't know but wonder if he may have too many fighter's to train, to spend enough time with someone who has been and could still be rebuilding.

What does anyone think Freddie would have done that would have been better?

I think Ben did a great job and that they have a good working relationship

It's Ovah and ipitythefool like this.
  5. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Roach was correct in the fight moments. But the fight as a whole Davison knew how to maintain control of rounds this is good and bad but was still needed. Fury fought more not to lose then to win.

Roach won t be around forever and Davison has gained unlimited experience after that fight and he would grow with Fury more. Fury doesn't need some mastermind in the corner because he has ring IQ , he needs a direct motivator that can make adjustments in the ring, Davison is more then capable of that.

If Davison takes Roach plan before round 7 of going for a K.O and abandons the "" TIE WILDER UP " instructions he gave Tyson after round 11 he takes any controversy out of judging hands.I

People said Fury looked bad in two comeback fights but I wasn't fooled one bit. I saw how Davison was training Fury of more direct punching and better crisp combos. Davison will continue to improve Fury with or without Roach who has other fighters so Fury won t get the same attention he gets from Davison.

Davison is the answer!

It's Ovah and ipitythefool like this.
  6. Bollywooden

Bollywooden Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 8, 2014
    Neither?

A savvy coach would have told Fury to take no risks and keep his distance in the 12th round.

7. GALVATRON

Oct 30, 2016
    Davison told him not to take risks that's why he instructed Fury to tie him up , he didn't tell Fury bend his head down in punching range and clown around...lol

A savvy coach would have told Fury to strictly jab on the outside! Savvy is something that is learned it's not like Davison is going to be stupid and not be able to learn himself.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  8. HappyClappy

HappyClappy Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2016
    What other heavies has Freddie Roach worked with and which ones were sucessful? Imo, Davison should be in Fury's corner along with the rest of the Fury clan. Its likely they are the only people he will listen to as hes very much his own man. Same with Zaghe, lots of natural talent, but probably would be less effective with somebody trying to turn him into something hes not

9. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    right now its difficult to say pick Davidson over Roach because of the gulf in experience but ultimately Davidson is probably the better option and more future proof, he has a good chemistry with Fury and probably knows him psychologically much better than an outsider like Roach. that counts for a lot, Fury must have a lot of trust in the man. Fury seems to respect Davidson as well. I thought it was a bit of a joke at first but he seems to take his role seriously and as said, has gained a lot of experience.

It's Ovah likes this.
  10. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Roach for boxing, Davidson for fitness.

Why not? Davidson can be the cut man this time.

11. gmurphy

gmurphy Land of the corrupt, home of the robbery! banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Freddie is no longer with the fighter that made him a star, manny

Im not sure if he even trains anyone decent anymore. There's always talking about him being in decline and can't do decent pad work anymore. Makes me think that maybe no fighter wants to work with him as he may be finished any day.

So i would assume the last year or two have been tough for freddie.
    Then fury walks through the door of the wilder card gym. A super talented heavyweight champion with a low output and freddies looking at him thinking he could be my new superstar.
    So he gets a chance in the corner.
    All his talk now is trying to undermine Ben and try to get fury thinking about going with him. I dont think he will fury is very loyal and probably doesnt like what freddies doing.

So i dont like what Freddie's doing but when you look at it logically you can see exactly what his doing. He wants back in the big time and he sees fury as the guy to get him back there

12. Ukansodoff

Ukansodoff Deontay plz stop ducking Joshua. Thank you. Full Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Both, but Roach has ruined that.

13. GALVATRON

Oct 30, 2016
    Here's the problem with your post.

A trainers ability isn't reflected on weight classes, the man has over 20 world champions and had guys like Klitschko and M.Tyson in fights they looked great and never lost.

Go take a look at Trey Morrison HW in his first 12 fights then take a look after , he's trained under Roach and looks like completely different fighter.

Trainers don't look for fighters , it's not a seek thing usually . Roach had lighter classes that he rotated towards to . Some trainers just get lucky like Steward who had a available Klitschko looking to revamp his career. In the end the fighter has to win not the trainer.

Davison should be the trainer but it has nothing to do with what HW Roach has had success with.

14. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Get them to swap roles.

Ben the strength conditoning coach and second trainer

Freddy the tactician and main trainer

Pay them 5% each. Win-win.

15. HappyClappy

HappyClappy Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Thats the thing i was querying. Steward seemed to have more success with guys at heavier weights and often ended up, at least on the surface, appearing to fight in a similar sort of style.

The opposite with Roach, more success with the smaller weights. I was trying to think which trainiers over the years have had bundles of success with fighters over a wide range of different weights. Educate me! ;)