Ben Whittaker

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by CutThroatFade, Feb 4, 2024.

1. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Probably an unpopular opinion but I don’t mind the showboating and have no issues with what he’s doing. I enjoy watching it apart from the fouls which should be penalised.

It’s disrespectful but boxing has disrespect all over from fighters to promoters. At the end of the day he’s building it up to a point where if he gets schooled or KO’d it will be incredibly satisfying for those who don’t like it.

Hopefully they step him up quickly though now.

DaRealJT, DJN16, ryanm8655 and 3 others like this.
  2. sniffmybadger

sniffmybadger Relationships are not my forte Full Member

Jan 20, 2010
    I don't mind a bit of showboating, I just hate it when it's against someone who is several levels below. A lot of these journeymen don't earn a lot, getting knocked out as well as being mocked during the fight is a bit much for me. When he starts being matched in competitive fights I probably won't mind as much.
    He's clearly a very talented fighter and has an entertaining style, but I just can't help but root for the underdog

Furey, DJN16, Fisty_Cuffs_21 and 7 others like this.
  3. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Yeah totally understand that mate. But on the flip side, it’s equally awful to watch someone levels above their opponent brutally blast them out in round one anyway. I think the bigger issue there is that these absolute mismatches need to be stopped completely. Showboating or not.

I think if you asked me as a fan what would I rather see, a brutal KO over a far less talented opponent or a guy clowning around a bit, I’d choose the latter.

4. Gregor1987

Gregor1987 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I find him entertaining to watch and look forward to his fights.

DJN16, pow, Bfcad and 1 other person like this.
  5. Bfcad

Bfcad Active Member Full Member

Dec 10, 2022
    I dont mind the showboating to an extent, but i think he takes it a bit too far. i get why he does it, hes building a profile, putting on a show and weather you like him or hate him he has people tuning in to watch him and talk about him.

I would say regarding respect in his post fight interviews the first thing he seems to do is thank his opponant so i guess that offsets it a little but i can see why people would take a dislike to him.

I hope they step him up quickly now, hes clearly a talented fighter - but you do wonder how much he will have to kerb the showboating against better fighters

CutThroatFade likes this.
  6. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    He's an interesting character, he contrast the showboating when he speaks imo. Very switched on lad who knows what he needs to do to get where he wants to go, there won't be any shortcuts with him.

My main doubt about him is his power as he steps up in class.

7. Darni187

Darni187 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 13, 2008
    I don't mind the showboating BUT , I want to see him do that in Vs a World champion? , let's say Beterbiev, would he do that Vs him? I don't think so , so he will do it's Vs lower level opponent then that's just disrespectful because he knows he can get away with it with them and not with the big boys ... That's sad ..

marro and BXNG101 like this.
  8. LegsAreShaky

LegsAreShaky Member Full Member

Nov 2, 2023
    Don’t mind the showboating personally, equally I did enjoy the ref getting on his case about that stupid backhand he threw! It’s more the level of opposition for me. He needs to step it up from journeymen into domestic guys who will give him a solid fight. Doesn’t need to be European level guys yet but Summers/Pitters/Edmondson etc should be the level of his next two fights over 10.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  9. Degale

Degale Active Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    As others have said , don’t mind showboating but it’s the level of opponent that frustrate me who he is doing it against.

Sonny1 likes this.
  10. smoking mirrors

smoking mirrors Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2023
    against 10-14 forty year old French nightclub doormen, it’s absolutely pathetic

looks like he won’t be able to take it either. when the Cuban beat him in the Olympic final, he sulked like a child and wouldn’t wear his silver medal on the podium

UnleashtheFURY, Koli55 and Sonny1 like this.
  11. Sonny1

Sonny1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 11, 2013
    He seemed to throw the towel in during that Olympic final too and was content to coast to a wide points loss.

Are his opponents similar level to that of Eubank Jnrs first career bouts? If so there is a reason for that when you have Joe Joyce straight in with better opponents from his debut. Appreciate he didn’t have time to muck about as he was older, but they were meaningful tests early which is clearly what wannabe Hamed, Whittaker is not getting.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  12. LeavemealoneKoooogs

LeavemealoneKoooogs All hail his excellency Full Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I'd say Whittakers opponents haven't been as bad as some of the dross Eubank Jr fought in his Channel 5 and Boxnation days but he definitely needs to step it up by a couple of levels this year.

Sonny1 likes this.
  13. themaster999

themaster999 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2015
    A quick low blow usually sorts out the showboating. Have no idea why they let him get away with it.

14. ash234

ash234 Active Member Full Member

Dec 17, 2023
    I'm on board fck it. British boxing is crap right now so at least it's a talking point. Also think he comes across well in interviews outside of fight week & stuff.

DJN16 and CutThroatFade like this.
  15. Sonny1

Sonny1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 11, 2013
    The squeaky voice though bud. It’s grim.

Mick8 and ash234 like this.