Ben Whittaker

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by CutThroatFade, Feb 4, 2024.

1. LeavemealoneKoooogs

LeavemealoneKoooogs All hail his excellency Full Member

Apr 30, 2021
    This big emphasis is being made on how many views and followers he has gained since Saturday. That seems to be the kind of angle Boxxer want to push with their fighters over actual in-ring boxing achievements :/

im sparticus and Darni187 like this.
  2. smoking mirrors

smoking mirrors Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2023
    impressive showboating: Teofimo Lopez beating Josh Taylor - an accomplished world class fighter in his own right, heavily backed by many, who had talked mad trash in the buildup - so easily he could toy with him in the final rounds

unimpressive showboating: - pampered Olympian messing around with some jobber who had to ask for time off work to fly in with Ryanair a few days before the event

Sonny1 and Young Terror like this.
  3. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm not totally against all showboating but there's a time and a place for it. I've found it embarrassing and painful to watch Whittaker do it against over matched dumplings. When he speaks it's like car crash TV. What age is he? He speaks in child lingo and it's toe curling. He's talented with an out out of control ego and I personally will enjoy to see him KTFO which might humble him a bit.

4. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Whittaker is doing something right as he gets plenty people talking about him. Love or hate him, it does not matter. What matters is people care.

Whittaker will get plenty of people wanting to tune in to see him lose. He is a promoters dream.

Astro likes this.
  5. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Broner wanted to be Mayweather without putting the work like Mayweather did. Unlike Broner, Floyd lived the life constantly in the Gym.

6. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    But this is the modern way. It’s allowed Matchroom to claim Benn is hugely popular by counting social media numbers. It wasn’t a lot different for Joshua back in the day, he just had a better grasp of media training.

It also kind of exposes other Boxxer fighters as being relatively unknown - without the Sky backing, the likes of CBS would be scrambling for a Saudi undercard pay day like Lyndon Arthur got.

7. Sonny1

Sonny1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Good post. I think the voice alone is enough to never make him a boxing star, let alone a crossover sports one.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  8. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Is a clowny bellend and despicable asswipe, who's a violent KO waiting to happen, and it will be ****ing hilarious when it does.

9. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    By doing what he is doing he is setting himself up for a monumental fail, give it 10-15 fights time, so probably 7-8 years and we'll see him get smashed up.

10. Throwback

Throwback "Somebody wake up Hicks" Full Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Personally, I hate showboating, especially against a clearly overmatched opponent, I didn't like it when Naseem did it, not even when SRL did.

However, if memory serves, they didn't get booed for doing it.

And Whitaker comes across as a tit.

My missus will watch the boxing when I've got it on, and occasionally enjoy a good contest, so I'd class her as a casual.

She absolutely hates Whitaker, and hated the silly stuff.

Oreet Cha! and CST80 like this.
  11. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    A few stiff punches will curb the showboating once he isn’t facing cab drivers.

I turned it off. Wound me up too much.

You’d want to be as good as Naz if you have that sort of carry on. Guy is a muppet in my opinion.

Throwback likes this.
  12. ash234

ash234 Active Member Full Member

Dec 17, 2023
    Probably an unpopular opinion but I think he comes across alright in interviews and stuff, especially outside of fight week.

DJN16, unfriendlyorchid and Astro like this.
  13. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Ricky knocked back a fight against Josh Buatsi for £30k a couple of years ago. I reckon he would be looking for around £100,000 to fight Ben on a big TV card.

14. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    I am opened minded with this one. I don't mind Whittaker. Interested to see how far he will go, which I'm really not sure about. More than likely he will get exposed on the way up but we will see.

15. Astro

Astro Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    Although he only has 5 fights left on his contract with Boxxer / Sky, I hope Boxxer has patience with Whittaker.