Benavidez Vs Gvozdyk in June

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by velagod, Feb 22, 2024.

1. 'Warpath'

'Warpath' New Member Full Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Who said beating Morrell proves he's the best? I don't care what most people say. I'd give Benavidez more respect for fighting & defeating a young, prime Morrell than I will for fighting & beating Gvozdyk

2. steviebruno

steviebruno ESB NYC Delegate banned Full Member

Dec 1, 2012
    I see... has Morrell earned your respect, then?

3. 'Warpath'

Sep 4, 2018
    I like what I've seen but he needs to up the opposition, I do feel he's in his prime & is a better opponent for Benavidez right now than Gvozdyk

4. steviebruno

Dec 1, 2012
    Okay.

'Warpath' likes this.
  5. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    At this rate if Benavidez turns down the fight whilst claiming Canelo didn't offer him enough money and runs off to 175, you'll probably still say Canelo is ducking him.
    If Benavidez moves up to 175 instead of fighting Canelo in May or September, then what are we supposed to think? If this 175 endeavor is merely a contingency plan in case the Canelo fight cannot be made this year, then that's another thing entirely. If you read the OP, it said Benavidez "is set to move up to LHW" as if he's already made his mind up, in which case it would be a duck given that he's the mandatory for a Canelo fight which according to the WBC President must happen this year, a.k.a. in May or Sept.

For Benavidez to announce that he's moving up to 175 in June, not just for a stay-busy fight while waiting for Canelo but to a launching pad for a campaign at 175, i.e. to become the mandatory for the winner of Bivol Beterbiev, suggests that he's done with 168, wants no part of a Canelo fight, and is moving out of the division permanently. If that's not the case, if he's merely considering a move to 175, while still trying to make the Canelo fight, then fine, but that's not the way the news was announced, as it gave the impression that Benavidez was choosing to move up to 175 instead of pursuing a Canelo fight. So the reaction calling this a Benavidez duck is perfectly normal given how this was reported.

bjl12 likes this.
  6. Maidanas Gun Tattoo

Maidanas Gun Tattoo Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2017
    What does beating a 9 fight Morrell prove then?

C.J. likes this.
  7. 'Warpath'

Sep 4, 2018
    It proves Benavidez wants to fight the other top fighters in his division. Morrell is young & in his prmie & a top 5 super middleweight. If Benavidez can't make 168 anymore then I fine with him moving up & taking on Gvozdyk. If Benavidez can still make 168 then he should try to fight the other top guys if Canelo won't fight him

bjl12 and shadow111 like this.
  8. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    Benavidez Morrell would be a great fight, especially as a battle of undefeateds. Above all else though, if David's goal is to secure the Canelo fight in May or September, moving up to 175 in June to campaign there is inconsistent with that goal.

C.J. and 'Warpath' like this.
  9. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    He's never going to get a Benavidez fight the Ginger fraud is scared to death of him. That is painfully obvious.
    Strip Canelo then have Bivol - Morell for all Gingers trinkets he stole

dougingb likes this.
  10. Eclipse

Eclipse Member banned Full Member

Jan 20, 2024
    Benavidez has already proven to be the clear number 1 contender he has nothing left to prove at 168. Morrell has no reward all risk.

Maidanas Gun Tattoo and C.J. like this.
  11. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    But Shadow Youre idol Ginger Wonder moved up weights to cherry pick & to duck the dangerous guys at 160 after ducking GGG for years claiming he wasn't a middleweight himself ROFL Eventually robbed GGG twice after

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  12. 'Warpath'

Sep 4, 2018
    I agree that Benavidez is #1 to Canelo's titles. I like to see fighters take risks & see no reason Benavidez shouldn't seek out the other top guys at 168 if he still plans to fight in the division. That goes for the other top guys at 168 as well. If they can't get Canelo, then go after everyone else

13. steviebruno

Dec 1, 2012
    I am also undefeated and I have almost as many pro fights as David Morrell. We also have identical records vs. the top ten at 168.

Should I call out Benavidez, too?

14. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    Sure why not? Make a name for yourself.

15. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    You don't become Undisputed Champion by cherry picking. When Canelo moved up to 168, he fought Undefeated Champion after Undefeated Champion, dominating the best that SMW had to offer. Benavidez would have been one of those Champions, but he had his title stripped TWICE due to drug use and coming in overweight. Since then, David has worked his way back into contention and good for him, but it's no time to run off to 175 when he has a shot at Undisputed, which is everything he's been working towards.

As far as 160, Canelo beat GGG after fighting him twice, no matter how much you deny that and he beat Jacobs, schooled him really. All were great fan friendly fights. Canelo has amassed a legendary resume throughout his career. Unfortunately you just don't recognize greatness and everything Canelo has accomplished.