Benitez Vs. Minter

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mark Dunham, Oct 21, 2021.

1. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    He did nearly always bleed when fighting, and that is partly why he was 39-9; seven were cut related stoppage defeats.

2. Mark Dunham

Mark Dunham Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    but what if he doesn't? I've never seen Wilfred stop a fighter on cuts

Turnip mk3 likes this.
  3. Turnip mk3

Turnip mk3 Active Member Full Member

Feb 6, 2021
    I think Alan might be a bridge too far . Minter late stoppage after trailing on the cards

Mark Dunham and Tonto62 like this.
  4. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    That is like saying what if Rosenbloom could punch?! what if Patterson had a chin?!

Yes, things would be different, probably a lot.

I think it is hard enough to pick a winner in fantasy fights that could have happened, without changing the make up of a/the fighter(s).

Minter cut up a lot, even when winning. Everything we know about Benetiz suggests that if they had fought, that would be a factor. Also you further handicap Minter by suggesting it is 1980 Boom Boom showing up, and albeit with over forty years of hindsight, Alan probably was past his best by then too boot.

And yes, Benitez was not quite the fighter he was at 140, but the 154 Benitez was still a very fine fighter in 1981. As a fellow Brit, very much at the top of his game, found out that year.

But then, perhaps that should not be a factor, as I never saw Benitez finish off top class opposition with one punch! ;)

5. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Benitez has a chance only if he moved up to 160 a few years earlier than he actually did. It's hard to say how good Benitez could have been at 160 because by the time he got there, he was pretty much shot and in serious physical decline.

Tonto62 likes this.