Benn vs Eubank off?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by TBC-ASAP, Sep 12, 2022.

1. ZiggerZagger

ZiggerZagger Active Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2012
    I think you're missing the point.

Him walking round seemingly eating KFC is symbolic of the fact that he doesn't care if he makes the weight or not , if he does and feels ok he'll fight , if he doesn't and they don't agree to allow him to come in slightly heavier then the fight will be off .

Its amazing what people will agree to in the relentless pursuit of PPV loot.

FWIW I think he beats Benn comfortably even with a reasonably uncomfortable weight cut.

2. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    He’s not missing the point, though. He clearly wasn’t using the KFC buck as a symbolic resource for not caring, but rather to portray that he had/has no issues with making weight. He clearly does care about making weight because he took the fight on the basis that he wants the fight. If, for whatever reason, he does not fight, and that it is weight related, I’m not sure how you’ve arrived at the conclusion that he doesn’t care. He will/would be disappointed.

3. Sonny1

Sonny1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Tell us again, how decent?

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  4. Sonny1

Sonny1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 11, 2013
    It was Lee Purdy v Devon Alexander. Purdy was in the sauna with Barry Hearn the day before. Eddie Hearn put it on Twitter and Warren jumped on it.

Particle Man, TBC-ASAP and Bob Flaps like this.
  5. bobbobbington

bobbobbington New Member Full Member

Oct 13, 2021
    I assume Sr cleared what he said with Jr. I think Jr has come to the realisation that he just not going to be able to do the weight and this is a way of saying give me some wiggle room, on rehydration more than the 157, or the fight is off. Eubank probably earned more for the super series anyway than this fight, so its not worth half killing yourself for

6. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Thanks for that.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  7. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Symbolic? What a load of shite.

It was just abit of social media trolling, nothing symbolic about it at all.

8. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Junior won’t pull out. Too much money at stake and truth is that this just sells the promotion even more.

EJC83 likes this.
  9. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    I guess Junior was saying his dad had gone quiet in the first press conference; maybe this is the excuse for Senior not to be involved at all.

10. bobbobbington

Oct 13, 2021
    Your probably right but how would this compare to the money he got for the Groves fight- heard the WBSS paid the fighters unsustainably well? I wonder if this just a attempt by Eubank to get a bit of leeway (re: weight). Does Eubank need the payday a bit less than Benn as he already made decent money, so he a better position in a game of brinkmanship?

11. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    I’d imagine both are getting paid significant purses irrespective of PPV buys since DAZN is basically a money laundering operation and this is one of the cards DAZN and Matchroom are relying on big time.

Eubank’s longevity in the sport is pretty much coming to an end now and after Benn, aside from a possible rematch, there aren’t many big money fights left for him other than Saunders (which won’t be as big as the first fight) and possibly Golovkin.

Benn on the other hand has potential for many more PPV fights so long as he doesn’t sustain too much damage against Eubank.

It may well be a savvy move to negotiate an easier weight limit for Eubank.

But I’d be very surprised if Eubank pulls out because he genuinely regards this as an easy fight and he’s already made it clear that if his dad isn’t in his corner he’d go with Roy Jones and continue with the fight. I’d imagine we need to hear a positive update today about the fight otherwise I guess it really would be in jeopardy.

Scissors likes this.
  12. bobbobbington

Oct 13, 2021

Yes I don't necessary disagree but I not sure of Benn's ceiling, capacity to sustain a PPV career. I think Benn losses to the likes of Avanesyan and see a fight withSpence/Crawford etc as a mismatch.. An Eubank fight could end representing the majority of his career earnings.

I sure Eubank thinks it a easy fight but there a state of physical degradation beyond which he will lose. Maybe he coming to the realisation that he just can't do 157 with a tight rehydration clause and somethings got to give. I can't see 157 being moved by maybe the rehydration clause could be altered. I don't like the fight as really seems come down to will Eybank be half dead when he enters the ring? If so he losses, if not he wins.

13. Astro

Astro Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    I can confirm that. The boxers who participated in the WBSS earned incredibly well.

14. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Eubank Jnr would be in breach of his contract and Hearn/DAZN/whoever would no doubt take legal action and rinse him dry over what is essential a change of mind on his part. My gut feeling is that it’s just a play to get the hydration clause adjusted.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    Scissors likes this.
  15. BEATDOWNZ

BEATDOWNZ Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Good. Hopefully Eubank can fight a genuine MW who is World class and Benn can do the same at WW.

Here's Johnny and Mitch87 like this.