Benny Leonard and Modern Technique

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by roughdiamond, Feb 16, 2019.

1. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Leonard's trainer Manny Seamon said this "Benny wasn't strong, and he knew it. He was easily hurt with good punches. In fact, he could be hurt a little more than the average fighter. That's what made him such a great boxer. He knew he had to be clever to keep out of trouble, and so he spent many hours learning to hide and get away."

2. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    "Leonard made the closest study of feinting of anyone I've ever dealt with, and I regarded him as The Mastermind of boxing. When fighters make a man miss today, they move back slash-off balance. Not so mr. Leonard. He would sidestep and then move on quickly with a punch hard enough to knock his opponents brains out.

3. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    From Benny Leonard to his trainer.... " Mannie, I know I'm great. I know I can beat anybody my weight because I work so hard to become good and made many sacrifices. I know that if I get knocked down I have to get up because so many people expect me to and because I have nothing to fear! I have so much reserve in my system because I always train faithfully." From Seamon...."Leonard was not a braggart he said this because he knew it believed it and lived it it was actually a Superman in boxing trunks in his prime and so had complete confidence in himself."

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  4. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    In some ways he looks really good — accurate, uses angles, good footwork.

But I don’t see a lot of combinations ... hardly any unless you count a 1-2 with a bit of hesitation (like jab ... right). Would he be capable of competing and mastering more modern combo punching? Absolutely. But as is, I don’t see him beating, say, Duran.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  5. Hannibal Barca

Hannibal Barca Active Member Full Member

Jul 23, 2010
    You're right about the lack of combos. But Burley, Hopkins, RJJ, and Mayweather didnt throw many either. Not sure to what extent this would be a negative.

6. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    This is the best thread in a dog's age.

greynotsoold likes this.
  7. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    RJJ didn’t throw combinations? I’ve seen him throw triple rights and quadruple hooks. And let go in six- and eight-punch volleys. Many times. As he got heavier he settled down and picked shots, but there’s a big difference between lightweight and light heavy.

Mayweather too. He could potshot but he also let his hands go quite frequently.

8. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Are you looking at the Tendler fight? He was a dangerous Southpaw.

9. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Yes. I didn’t comment on the opponent. Just that he looks like what today would be called a pot-shotter. Didn’t see many combos.

10. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Southpaws are a different animal to fight. I know Tendler was dangerous. He may have been looking for that right hand against the lefty gameplan.

11. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Ray Arcel didn't really train Benny Leonard. He was his friend...and when Benny made his comeback in his mid 30s he ask Ray to 2nd him. Be there to protect him.
    Mannie Seamon was his trainer and cornerman in Benny's prime years. He also took over for Jack Blackburn after he passed. He trained Joe Louis from the early 40s to the end.
    Two pretty good names on Seamon's resume. Especially for a guy nobody ever talks about Manny Seamon.

12. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Pretty sure Benny wasn't leaving anything to chance, as I'm sure this was a rematch, and Tendler had given him hell the first go around, so more shot picking.

ETM likes this.
  13. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
  14. Bukkake

Bukkake Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2010
    The fight shown here is actually the first between the two.

roughdiamond likes this.
  15. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Yeah, I figured it out some time after the post lol. Tendler was a tough customer and quite underrated.