Bernard Dunne on Setanta

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by rooq, Aug 12, 2007.

1. rooq

rooq Rooq's Boxing Promoter Full Member

Jan 16, 2007
    i'm glad setanta have picked up this fight - this will be my first chance to see dunne, and the undercard isn't bad either, with magee fighting oakey for the british lhw title, and andy lee and matthew macklin also fighting!

2. BigEars

BigEars Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 30, 2006
    Okay first of all I have to state I'm very disappointed in you .
    I've been posting links to the streaming of Bernard Dunne fights since he fought Pickering and you still haven't seen him :-(

It's the best card we've had since boxing became big in Ireland again .

Bernard Dunne v Kiko Martinez-European Super Bantamweight title
    Tony Oakey v Brian Magee-British Light-Heavyweight title
    Matthew Macklin v Darren Rhodes
    Paul McCloskey v Antonio Di Feto(lost a close decision for the Italian lww title in his last fight)
    Andy Lee's homecoming against a yet to be named opponent .

Even the bout I'm least interested in(McCloskey's) has me excited as Paul is after stopping Ivan Bustos(22-11-3) in 4 rounds , which is the same amount of time it took Michaek Katsidis and it took Souleymane M'Baye 5 rounds(even if M'Baye has since looked very ****) . Di Feto lost a very close decision for the Italian title in his last fight so on a European scale this fight has some meaning and I'm starting to wonder if maybe Paul could do something at European level(which hopefully this fight will tell us) .

The Dunne fight itself will be a real treat for ya , great atmostphere and Dunne always puts on a show ,some of the Americans on the main forum were putting forward his last fight as a contender for fight of the year , which I thought was a bit much but the atmostphere really gets to you .

Here's Dunne's fight with Jailouev:http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0325/dunneb_av.html?2232674,null,228
    I don't think RTE's video for the fight with Walstad is working and RTE changed their website after the Pickering fight and videos of Dunne's fight before that weren't kept so this is the only Dunne video I have for you at the moment .

Well and this poor quality video of his fight with Sean Hughes(Dunne has come on a lot since this)[YT]yFpB4tDmwEs[/YT]

3. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    ****, thats a card.

I have to hurry up and get my freeview box with a card.

Dunne, Macklin and Lee are three very watchable fighters.

4. rooq

Jan 16, 2007
    sorry, i meant live on tv! i've seen clips of him before, but not that Sean Hughes fight. cracking combo to finish it!

i look forward to seeing more of him

5. BigEars

Sep 30, 2006
    Ah thank god , I was worried my constant promotion of Dunne and his fights wasn't getting through to people :lol: .

6. Shev

Shev Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Wasn't Duddy supposed to be fighting along with them?

7. hitman_hatton1

hitman_hatton1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    what's this guy he's fighting like then???

i don't rate dunne all that tbh.

his stamina is questionable and his punch has been found out as he's stepped up the levels.

8. BigEars

Sep 30, 2006
    Dunne's punch was found out back in America it was hardly 're-found' out back here . Your right though his stamina is questionable and it seems mainly to do with him being tight at the weight .

Martinez is pretty much an unknown(very few people , even round here have seen him) . But in his 4th fight he stopped Juan Garcia Martin , in Martin's fight before that he had fought Esham Pickering for the European title and went 8 .
    He became only the 4th man to stop Frederic Bonifai and did it in 2 rounds(the quickest it had been done by anyone) , Michael Brodie had gone 5 rounds with Bonifai

He beat EU and French Super Bantamweight champion Salem Bouaita by a very wide decision . Bouaita has recent wins over Miguel Mallon(who Pickering defended against and stopped in 10) m and Tuncay Kaya(who Hunter had trouble defending against and stopped in 9 after a mistimed count) Bouaita's record doesn't look great , but he is 9-2 since he lost to future World champion Mahyar Monshipour 5 years ago(and the loss other than Martinez came at Featherweight) .

Martinez can definitely punch , he most have some boxing skills to have clearly outboxed Bouaita . He is only 5'5(and quite stocky) and his opposition hasn't been that great . He is in experienced with only 16 fights and is just 21 years old .

So that's most of what I can tell you on Kiko Martinez .

9. hitman_hatton1

hitman_hatton1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    sounds an interesting one for dunne.

i've got setanta so i'll deffo watch this one.

10. rooq

Jan 16, 2007
    i didn't realise dunne was rated that highly on the world stage...top ten ranking in the 4 major organisations.

unfortunately, there are no easy routes to a super-bantamweight world title looking at the current champions...vazquez, molitor, ponce de leon and caballero. :think

11. PrideOfWales

PrideOfWales Winston Zedmore Full Member

Apr 20, 2006
    It's a shame, I enjoyed BigEars' links through the RTE website.

12. BigEars

Sep 30, 2006
    Super Bantamweight is one of the strongest divisions at the moment and it will be tough for Dunne to win a World title here and Dunne's camp have had to settle for Molitor as the target even though he is the slickest boxer of the lot simply because he doesn't hit as hard as the others .

Super Bantamweight really does have some monster hitters , Vasquez , Marquez , Ponce De Leon , Sithchatchawal can all really bang and guys like Caballero(who at 5'11 would be difficult for anyone at the weight) , Cordoba , Bautista , Sergio Medina , Zarate , and most of the Thai contenders all hit quite hard .

13. Smazz20

Smazz20 Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 19, 2006

I think I asked you this before, but what do you think are the chances of Dunne fighting McCullough? I don't really want to see WM continue fighting but he keeps saying he'll be back sometime soon and to me at least, it looks a very likely match up.

14. BigEars

Sep 30, 2006
    It looked certain when McCullough was meant to be on the last card , but I think McCullough may feel he was messed around a bit and may not want to deal with Brian Peters again . I think with McCullough's recent move into involvement with the UFC it may have ended his ideas of a comeback and I really don't think it will happen now .

I'm get the feeling we won't be seeing Wayen McCullough in a boxing ring again(except as a trainer/manager) which is a good thing .

15. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Dunne has some QUALITY work. The way he incorporates his body attack into his arsenal is first class.

I fear for his lack of concentration. He drops those hands, he show boats and I just hope his mental lapses don't cost him. Some can get away with it though.