Bernard Hopkins - From Minter To Mugabi?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Can Hopkins remain unbeaten through facing Minter through to John Mugabi as Hagler did?
    Using Hopkins who beat Mercado for the Minter bout.

Jamal Perkins likes this.
  2. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
  3. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
  4. Bujia

Bujia Active Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Can he? Yes. He’d be favored over any of them in one-off fights at his best. Would he if that was the opposition he actually faced starting in ‘95? I really don’t know.

I disagree with the notion that Hagler’s opposition was no stronger/weaker than Hopkins’, either way.

5. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Active Member banned Full Member

Nov 8, 2020
    BHops defense and superior range and footwork would make him a difficult outing for anyone from Haglers era, specifically the top fighters.
    If anyone were to give Hopkins a run for his money I see it being one of the gym heroes like Willie Monroe.
    Mugabi had brutal power but he was not at all impenetrable

6. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Wonder how the Hopkins v Hearns fight would play out?
    Bernard probably winds up Tommy before hand.

7. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft 'Snarky Little Gobshite' - IntentionalButt Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes. Can't see anybody who'd even have more than a 30% chance of beating B-Hop.

8. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I could see him getting thru them.

Pat M and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  9. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    No I don't think so but he would have beaten the majority.
    Mugabi I don't know. Echols dropped Bernard in the first fight even though it wasn't ruled a knockdown and I think Mugabi hits harder and is a better boxer then Echols.

10. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    which of Mugabi’s wins over championship caliber opponents at 160 leads you to envision him beating Hopkins?

11. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Its his POWER that could come into play.
    Sure Hopkins is alot more skilled but POWER has a way of turning the tables.
    Not to mention Mugabi did go toe to toe with Hagler in a war which Hagler was a pretty strong middleweight.
    I always thought the win over Parker was vastly underrated. Parker had NEVER been stopped and here Mugabi decimates him in a ROUND.

Flash24 likes this.
  12. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    well I agree about the Parker win being underrated, Parker does hail from a city I love so I always enjoy him getting some love. But I would also say this was at SWW and as we know power does not always move up in weight with you. What championship caliber MW at 160 did Mugabi beat and or stop that makes you see him beating and/or stopping Hopkins?

Jackstraw likes this.
  13. UltimateDestroyer

UltimateDestroyer Member Full Member

Nov 25, 2020
    Hearns Hamsho and Roldan for starters were all miles better middleweights than Trinidad and Oscar who had about 3 fights at the weight between them and are put up as legacy fights for Hopkins...Hopkins does well but takes a loss or two at least against Hagler's opposition. Hopkins isn't proven against those calibre middleweights.

Flash24 and robert ungurean like this.
  14. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Hopkins would beat all of them including the Leonard that Hagler lost to. Im mystified by the people picking Mugabi as one of his tougher opponents. Mugabi fought a hell of a fight against Hagler, who fought a stupid fight against him, but Mugabi was made to order for Hopkins and frankly I dont his power being any better than several of the guys Hopkins beat like Trinidad, Pavlik, Echols, or Tarver to name just a few. And I dont think his power would matter anyway because Hopkins had great defense, was better inside and out, bigger, stronger, and had a great chin to back up everything else. When Frank Fletcher is your best win dont try to tell me Mugabi would beat Hopkins.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    PhillyPhan69 and JohnThomas1 like this.
  15. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I don’t know if he beats Hearns. Perhaps. The rest I’m fairly confident he defeats. Only difference is that we might not see some of the impressive knockouts that Hagler gave us. There’d be a lot more decisions

Fergy likes this.