Bernard The Executioner Hopkins vs Canelo Alvarez, 160 lbs, Both Prime.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Richard M Murrieta, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Quick Cash

Quick Cash Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 12, 2007
    The notion of prime Hopkins being outworked by Canelo, of all people, is frankly quite ridiculous.

2. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    This content is protected

3. wutang

wutang Active Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2012
    Hopkins was great at neutralizing his opponents strengths. Even in his 40's in the fights that lost he was able to make them close and in his prime he had great movement and was extremely spry.that being said, canelo does land some really eye and ear catching shots. His defense is also no joke, but hopkins would feint and lunge in awkwardly to land shots and then tie him up - and make him reset over and over - he wouldn't stand and exchange with canelo for long. He was too smart and would know that is where canelo would shine. I really think hopkins takes this one.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Rumsfeld likes this.
  4. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Very interesting call. Canelo is extremely talented and well conditioned. He would not be defeated by being outcuted by Hopkins or mugged. He could also take Hopkins power. U have me thinking here.

robert ungurean likes this.
  5. Knights107

Knights107 Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2015
    B.Hop. too tricky & skillful..

Its like bHop vs winky wright.

6. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Hopkins beats Canelo. I think Hopkins defense and footwork, plus his ability to neutralize his opponents best weapon, will help him school Canelo just enough to convince the judges to give Hopkins the win. Canelo’s patient style and slow footwork will give Hopkins the advantage to fight his fight and pace.
    Let’s not forget that Hopkins was at his most well rounded form both offensively and defensively at 160.

7. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    You are totally right my friend. Good Post.

AwardedSteak863 likes this.
  8. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Well that your opinion.

9. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Hang on a second. Canelo threw over 600 punches against Golovkin, who threw a ton himself. I remember some Hopkins fights where he threw just over 500. Here's the stats for the Holmes fight:

https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Bernard_Hopkins_vs._Keith_Holmes

Holmes managed a relatively puny 350 himself, giving Hopkins all the time in the world to unload. The notion of Canelo outworking Hopkins is not ridiculous, its at the very least, possible.

robert ungurean likes this.
  10. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Not a Canelo fan Hopkins schools him

11. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Keith Holmes isn't prime Hopkins imo. I'm thinking more late 90's, when he still had a high workrate but had gathered some experience.

The Glenn Johnson fight is my favourite Hopkins performance.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  12. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Yep.

Bokaj likes this.
  13. Quick Cash

Jul 12, 2007
    In other words, Hopkins in his mid thirties outworked Canelo from the Mayweather match, the Jacobs match, and the Kovalev match to name just three. This isn't even going into styles; we know Hopkins shut his opponents' offense down, and didn't have a problem fighting at a slower pace should Canelo choose to do the same to him.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  14. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    That's not the point. The point is that you seem to think the notion is absurd, when it clearly isn't.

15. Quick Cash

Jul 12, 2007
    I just gave you three fights off the top of my head that have Canelo fail to match the random goalpost you set. It would have been four, but I had already pushed send before coming up with Trout.
    Hopkins was drastically changed by the Holmes encounter, relying on strategic ambushes and counter punching, like Floyd at welterweight.
    Floyd, when his body was breaking down, pitched a shutout on Canelo!
    Not that it matters, since Golovkin was a come forward fighter that in no way resembles Hopkins in the first, but not even the performance Canelo put forth on that night would have matched the Glen Johnson performance on workrate.