Bernardo Mercado vs Johnny Du Plooy

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, Aug 5, 2022.

1. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    This one may be more even than my previous thread featuring Mercado vs Foster. Bernardo Mercado and Johnny Du Plooy were two huge punchers with average chins and poor defense. This wouldn’t look pretty but at least there’d be a lot of early round wild action and a knockout. What do you think ?

2. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    I have to give you credit, I have never seen this matchup before and it would be fun while it lasted. I'm going with Mercardo. I just think he was the superior fighter.

cross_trainer and mr. magoo like this.
  3. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    He certainly might have been. Johnny Duplooy is probably the most wide open slugger I’ve ever seen on film. I’ve never seen anyone leave themselves open that much. But if he hit you, it hurt

AwardedSteak863 likes this.
  4. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I would go with Mercado too. Johnny always seemed to have a knack for finding a way to lose.

mr. magoo likes this.
  5. BCS8

BCS8 Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I personally like Du Plooy's timing and punching power here. He got the win over Weaver whereas Weaver stopped Mercado. That said, if it went the other way nobody would be shocked. Both these guys could hit like hell. I think Du Plooy had heavier hands and Mercado maybe a better chin.

mr. magoo likes this.
  6. CANNONBALL

CANNONBALL Active Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Apart from wins over Randy Stevens, Berbick and Shavers, Mercado's resume is pretty thin.

DuPlooy has wins over a lot of over the hill guys like Bey, Tillis, Parkey, Broad, LeeRoy Murphy........

Both lost to Weaver - Mercado in '78, Duplooy in '88

Mercado' best wins are Berbick and Shavers which in my opinion are better results than Duplooy's best wins which are Weaver and Bennie Knoetze

I like Mercado in this one - more proven at a higher level and whilst he could be discouraged on occasion he hung tough with Shavers, Spinks and Cobb whereas Duplooy capitulated quite easily against Weaver, Snipes, Damiani and Sanders. Mercado gets the win in 5/6 rounds for me. Good match though

mr. magoo likes this.