Best Black Heavies Of The 1890s?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Rainer, Jun 25, 2019.

1. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    I'm not a scholar in that era but Jackson aside there must have been outstanding black heavyweights .. if they do not immediately stand you can be sure lack of opportunities hampered it .. they don't just majestically appear when opportunities to compete do ..

2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    There seems to have been something of a hiatus between Peter Jackson and Denver ed Martin.

Circumstantial evidence might lead you to think that some of these fighters were better than people realized.

Bob Armstrong was said to be a monster in sparring, and he was occasionally mentioned as a possible title challenger.

3. Rainer

Rainer Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2019
    Slavin's best wins are over McAuliffe 36 and on the slide, and Kilrain 37 and also on the way out.
    Let's deal in cold facts, not people's perceptions, both McAuliffe and Kilrain were badly used up, and they are Slavin's best wins. Slavin lost to Armstrong twice by ko in the decade we are talking about ,the 1890's.He also lost to Butler in the same decade ,again by ko.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  4. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I think that you would be very unwise to dismiss contemporary perception, and asses a fighter from this era based on trial by Boxrec.

Boxrec is as misleading as it is informative when you go this far back!

5. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Farnan, Laing, Burke, Dooley, McAuliffe, Kilrain were Slavin's best wins. Kilrain was 32, coming off a win over Godfrey when he lost his meaningful fight to Slavin. Both were washed up for the second encounter. McAuliffe was 26 when Slavin beat him and considered a leading contender. These fighters constitute a far better list than Childs.
    Godfrey, Jackson, Childs, CC Smith, Klondike, Armstrong, Griffin, Felix, Martin and Byers would be my top ten.

Jason Thomas and BitPlayerVesti like this.
  6. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I really don't see those as close to the level of beating Slavin. Childs also got totally outclassed by Dan Creedon, and lost to Choynski, in the 1890's.

Choynski and McCoy are probably the weakest of that group, and both pretty convincingly got the better of Creedon.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Jason Thomas likes this.
  7. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007

Misleading news. Where are you getting this information?

Slavin first defeated Kilrain at age 32, not age 37.

Slavin defeated McAuliffe at age 26. McAuliffe retired at age 33. Where did age 36 come from?

I would say Slavin's wins over Dooley ( aAssie hwy champion ) and Criag could rate as big wins.

Of course John L Sullivan refused to fight Slavin! We could have seen a news champion had they fought.

8. Rainer

May 2, 2019
    Farnan,Burke,, Dooley ,Laing happened in the previous decade. Any comment on this?
    "The Wanganui Herald/Wanganui Chronicle. Six-ounce gloves were used. Laing was recovering from what may have been food-poisoning and was advised not to fight until he had fully recovered. Years later a Slavin supporter admitted to slipping something into Laing's bevy days before the fight."
    Who did Griffin beat in that decade?
    You're right about McAuliffe's age I got that wrong,thanks for the correction.
    I know nothing about CC Smith,I had to look him up,
    He seems to have lost all his major fight inthe1890's.
    Butler ko3rds
    Godfreyko4rds
    Choynski ko4 rds
    Maher by dec
    I'm not that up to speed on this period ,
    [one of the reasons I made the thread ,] but his wins don't seem to be that impressive during that decade.

9. Rainer

May 2, 2019
    I'm referring to their second encounter.You are correct on McAuliffe I've already said I was wrong in M Donnellon's post.
    Sullivan was really finished after the Cardiff fight, Slavin had no one on his record up to that time that suggests he would have beaten prime Sullivan imo.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  10. Rainer

May 2, 2019
    I was referring to their second fight.
    I was wrong on McAuliffe and have said so on the Donnellon post.
    Dooley was pre 1890.s Craig scaled 164lbs I can' t give him much credit as a big win for beating a middle weight.
    My stance is what these men did during the period allotted ,not what they did before or after.
    Jackson retired after 1892 so he's out

11. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    Though I do think people sometimes overstate the contemporary opinion of Slavin.

It seems to be said pretty regularly that they didn't think he'd be able to beat Jackson or Sullivan, and typically got boos whenever proclaimed champion (for the Police Gazzette belt).

12. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Sure, you can argue it either way.

We could flesh it out further, or even give it a thread, if it serves any purpose to do so.

13. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    Probably not a lot of need, though I wouldn't object if you wanted to.

I think we would probably agree on something like, that atleast in America, he was seen as one of the top heavyweights, but generally regarded as not as good as Jackson and Sullivan, IIRC they, unsurprisingly, generally held a higher opinion of him in Aus.

janitor likes this.
  14. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I'm not sure what you want, I listed my opinion of the top ten black heavyweights of the decade, I'm not saying they were an impressive bunch. Stevenson, Butler, Craig, Walter Johnson could be considered but then look at their records. The Laing claim is generally debunked and I'm awae of when Slavin's fights took place, I'm just replying to your claim that Childs was better than Slavin based on a boxrec trawl when everybody that knows the period knows that Slavin was basically a drunk after the Jackson fight. Griffin beat Harris Martin, drew with Bob Jones and Childs, not exactly sterling work but you asked for ten.

Mendoza likes this.
  15. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Since you seem to know the most here about the top black heavyweights of the times, give us ten in order is possible.