Best Black Heavies Of The 1890s?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Rainer, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Rainer

Rainer Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2019
    Sorry, I just wondered if you had any more info on the quote below.

"The Wanganui Herald/Wanganui Chronicle. Six-ounce gloves were used. Laing was recovering from what may have been food-poisoning and was advised not to fight until he had fully recovered. Years later a Slavin supporter admitted to slipping something into Laing's bevy days before the fight.

The claim is debunked? Fine, that's all I wanted to ascertain.
    I presumed you knew when the fights took place ,I was really explaining why I don't give credit for fights that happened outside the prescribed time scale.
    I don't pretend to be up to speed with the era. But judging from Box Rec and CBZ ,[who else can I go by?] the list isn't that special whose ever picks you go by!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    mattdonnellon likes this.
  2. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Certainly not a sterling bunch.
    My try;
    1--Jackson
    2-Godfrey
    3- Childs
    4-Armstrong
    5-Felix
    6-Byers
    7-Klondike
    8-Martin
    9-Griffin
    10- CC Smith

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I agree.

If there was any time when a champion drawing the color line, would be of minimal consequence, then it was between Jackson's prime and Martin coming on the scene.

Rainer likes this.
  4. Rainer

Rainer Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2019
    This is really an important observation,imo. It doesnt excuse the color bar of course, but it does indicate that it's application probably was not of any great significance during that time slot.

janitor likes this.
  5. mattdonnellon

Dec 2, 2006
    Maher beat Smith, Godfrey, Klondike, Butler, Craig, Stevenson, Harris easily,Choynski beat Godfrey, Wilson, Smith, Wilson, Jack Johnson, Childs and so forth so the middle tier white heavies were a step ahead at that time.

6. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks. We are few sports apart on Griffin. His record is very good, and holds over Harris Martin ( your #8 ) and Jack Johnson ( When Griffin was past his best ), along with a draw with Childs, who you place at #3

While the group isn't a good one, they often had to fight for peanuts.

Jackson, I think could have been a transformative sports star had he faced and beaten Sullivan He was a stereotypical type at all, rather he was well liked by the press, and a gentleman.

Using your top then, mine would be

1 ) Jackson - Way above the rest

2 ) Griffin
    3 ) Godfrey
    4 ) Childs
    5 ) Armstrong

Spots 6-10 are interchangeable for me.

BitPlayerVesti and mattdonnellon like this.
  7. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Part of the challenge is that their records are so poorly known. Quite a few fights, including Griffin Vs Childs only being known from mentions in records years later.

mattdonnellon likes this.
  8. mattdonnellon

Dec 2, 2006
    Agree on Jackson. I stayed with the OP'S criteria, fights in the 1890's. My Martin was Denver Ed nd I don't share your appreciation of Griffin, his draw with Childs was over 4 rounds, I think, and at an early stage of his career, Johnson wasn't much when he beat him and a young Jeffries beat him, not a bad fighter but not great either.

9. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    That and next to no film.

10. mattdonnellon

Dec 2, 2006
    I think they were actualy better in the 1880's, Jackson, Godfrey, Hadley, Wilson, McHenry Johnson, cc Smith etc.

11. Jason Thomas

Jason Thomas Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2019
    thanks fellows. An informative and interesting read. A lot of info on an obscure historical topic.