Best Boxing Documentaries?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Rumsfeld, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher Lineal Champion Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I did in my post 😊

2. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    There's a great documentary on Max Baer on YouTube.

3. Skins

Skins Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Good one on Wilfredo Gomez, English subtitles. Also Kings of the Ring, excellent doc on the Heavyweight Champions. Go to Bing and just type in boxing documentaries

4. Vanboxingfan

Vanboxingfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I just saw that on netflix's a couple of weeks ago. I think it was called Champs.

5. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    "Boxing: In and Out of the Ring" - is a very good documentary. It covers the behind-the-scenes situation after Hasim Rahman upset Lennox Lewis and how Don King moved in to grab Rahman ... and portrays Cedric Kushner as the oafish guy too slow to react.

In that regard, there's also "Don King: Unauthorized" which was very good. It was a PBS Frontline episode that aired a couple days before the first Tyson-Holyfield fight was scheduled to take place in 1991 (but was cancelled when Tyson hurt his rib).

"Sonny Liston: The Mysterious Life and Death of a Champion" - HBO documentary which won an Emmy award - not to be confused with ESPN's "Sonny Liston: The Champ Nobody Wanted"

"Klitschko" - which was released in theaters and aired on HBO. Very good.

"Incredible Blackness" - the Jack Johnson documentary which is a two-parter and originally aired on PBS.

"Ring of Fire" - the documentary about Emile Griffith, the situation surrounding his last fight with Benny "Kid" Paret and Griffith meeting Paret's son.

"The Thrilla in Manila" - the HBO documentary that was released a year or so ago. It was a pretty good watch, and Joe Frazier and Butch Lewis are featured prominently just before their deaths. But Bob Arum stated publicly it was full of lies and was embarrassed for HBO.

"Fighting the Mob: The Story of Carmen Basilio" is also very good. I think it was an ESPN documentary.

"Sugar Ray Robinson: The Bright Lights and Dark Shadows of a Champion" was good. Another HBO documentary.

The recent 30 for 30 documentary "Chasing Tyson" was entertaining. It involved the build-up to the Tyson-Holyfield fights. It aired about two weeks ago and everyone on Twitter lost their sh*t. A lot of younger people know who Tyson and Holyfield are but were too young to remember them in the ring. So it caused a stir. That said, they didn't go in-depth at all. And they didn't even mention some significant fights - like the Tyson-Ruddock matches and the third Bowe-Holyfield fight - but it was more about just Tyson and Holyfield circling each other for years.

Nobody here is going to learn anything new from it, but I found myself getting anxious during the fight scenes between Tyson and Holyfield, even though I'd seen them a thousand times. It was like eating cake. You don't get anything beneficial out of it, but it was good while you were eating it.

That said, when you watch these, you see how well done HBO's mini "24/7" pieces are. HBO kind of ran out of ideas when they had to make so many Mayweather 24/7s ... and after a while they all started to seem like the same documentary done over and over again. But the visual quality of boxing documentaries is certainly improving as time goes on.

Journeyman92 likes this.
  6. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Jackomano likes this.
  7. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
  8. AREA 53

AREA 53 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 10, 2006
    "The Fight" - AlivFrazier FOC Documentary

9. Estes

Estes Active Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2013
  10. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I have seen that that's been on netflix but haven't checked it yet. Odd to include Hopkins along with the other 2.

11. Jear

Jear Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 27, 2004
  12. Vanboxingfan

Vanboxingfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Actually I thought his story was the best one of the bunch.

13. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    I have no doubt I will probably wind up thinking the same. I just think the context may have made more sense with Lennox or Bowe as the 3rd guy. :lol:

14. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Its more to do with fighters that came from poor backgrounds.

Tysons story everybody kinda knows now, but I thought Hopkins story was refreshing.

I've always wondered what Hopkins and Holyfield/Tyson thought of each other considering they're the same age and fought in the same era.

15. Rumsfeld

Jul 19, 2004
    I watched it now. It was pretty good (although the fight footage was sometimes grainy, and even stretched a few times - which annoyed me, and surprised me, as I would think they could could get better reproductions of fights that aren't particularly old - Tyson-Holyfield I, for instance - surely they could have gotten their hands on a better reproduction than what they used).

But this is sadly true of a lot of boxing documentaries. That aside, I enjoyed it.

KidGalahad likes this.