Best boxing glove for beginner?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by iStraughan, Sep 12, 2017.

1. iStraughan

iStraughan New Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Hey everybody,

I started boxing at a boxing gym here in Austin, Tx a week ago, and so far I LOVE it and wish my work schedule allowed me to go more than 4 times a week.

But anyways, he has a shelf with about 20 pairs of gloves that he allows everybody to use and share. It's awesome that he provides those, but they are very beaten up and it takes for ever to find a matching pair. So, I wanted to buy my own gloves that I could use for myself. I've been looking on ebay/amazon/title boxing and I see tons of them. I've been thinking of going with a pair of Title boxing gloves, but not too sure which ones I should go with. I'm not really wanting to pay $100 just yet, but I also dont want to pay for a pay of $15 gloves.

What would you all recommend I start out with?

Thanks in advance!

2. AlixWelterWeight

AlixWelterWeight New Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2017
    does your gym rhyme with moharb ?

3. Caimán

Caimán Member Full Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Low price: RDX. A couple of years ago I'd said Title but the quality just went waaay down suddenly.
    Personal preference: Sabas Proseries. Are around 140 USD but are worth of it. Durable, comfortable, good fit, protective but nos a pillow so you can feel a punch thown correctly.

I'm not from the US so I don't know if there is another brand that don't compromise your health in exchange of saving money or overpriced brands, also I don't know how much a pair of Fairtex gloves do cost in there (a friends has a pair, pretty nice) but I do comment from my own experience.

PD: avoid Everlast, Adidas and some Title gloves, those would break your hands and your heart.

iStraughan and PIRA like this.
  4. PIRA

PIRA Arise Sir Lennox. Full Member

Mar 30, 2007

Fairtex or Twins in my experience have been good and I would recommend.

5. YearZero

YearZero Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2012
    If you want to put a lot of power punches into the heavy bag and are worried about your hands for work purposes, you can't go wrong with Title gel bag gloves. Had them for 7+ years and still going strong. Reason why I would also suggest it to beginners is that hand problems can begin early on if you don't use proper gloves and form or are punching bags that are too hard.

https://www.titleboxing.com/title-gel-world-bag-gloves

Although they can be used for sparring, they're a bit too front heavy and will slow you down. They weigh around 17oz.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Brixton Bomber and iStraughan like this.
  6. iStraughan

Sep 12, 2017
    Hahaha no, I don't think it does. What gym were you thinking of?

7. AlixWelterWeight

AlixWelterWeight New Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2017
    you described the gym i go to exactly like it is.

8. iStraughan

Sep 12, 2017
    What gym is that?

9. rodney

rodney Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Get a decent pair of boxing gloves and sparring gloves. And get the $100 ones. That’s not a lot of money. I live in Canada. I can sell you everything that you need.

10. rodney

Jun 16, 2006
    I mean bag gloves and sparring gloves

11. Fortis

Fortis New Member Full Member

Jul 8, 2017
  12. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
  13. WonderMonkey

WonderMonkey New Member Full Member

Nov 21, 2017
    I also suggest finding a pair that you use at the gym and see if they are in your budget. It's a way to test-drive the product.

14. rodney

Jun 16, 2006
    Boxing gloves:
    --- sparring gloves
    --- bag gloves
    Whether a beginner or experienced boxer, you should get good gloves.
    I like Rival gloves.