Best defensive fighter in history while in the pocket?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Can I box, Jul 8, 2019.

1. The Clan

The Clan Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Brilliant as FMJs defence was I just can’t rate him because of the level of opponent manipulation and the blatant cheating during fights that he was allowed to get away with!
    Constant and persistent ducking below waist height, turning his back to stop opponents from attacking when he was cornered and the use of his elbow when in close

2. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    So then the question becomes, who was better consistently and on their best nights, Floyd or Toney?

I personally think both styles were effective, but Toney was the slicker man on his best nights.

Mayweather the more consistent, and it all boils down to practice versus natural ability.

Can I box likes this.
  3. The Clan

Nov 11, 2007
    As I said earlier, don’t rate Mayweather he cheated too much so it doesn’t come down to Toney or Mayweather

4. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    But his cheating is not in question here, we didn't ask who is the cleanest fighter. Merely their ability to defend, while out of the pocket.

For example, BJS is bad human being imo, good boxer though.

mark ant likes this.
  5. 81ZAR

81ZAR Dr. Steelhammer Full Member

Jul 28, 2018
  6. The Clan

Nov 11, 2007
    His defence relied a lot on him being allowed to cheat

7. Pound4PoundGG

Pound4PoundGG Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2013
    I think floyd but he would go too defensive and not in the position to switch from defence to offence to defence.
    The shoulder roll didnt really allow the quick switch from defence to offence. I would rather consider the best defensive fighter as someone who had a great defence but was also able to immediately switch to offence, kind of like Lomachenko or Whitacker relied more on bobbing and weaving then getting off his shots. Im also going to mention Mike Tyson. Which other tiny heavyweight have you seen who could get in range the way he did and avoid all those bombs to get off his own?

RacingBeat likes this.
  8. The Clan

Nov 11, 2007
    In that case you have to look at SRL. He could stand toe to toe without getting a glove laid on him and then throw a 10 punch combo

Pound4PoundGG likes this.
  9. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    You mean tiny in terms of height?

10. Pound4PoundGG

Oct 9, 2013
    yes exactly height and reach. In order for tyson to be effective he had to stay in the pocket most of the time and always at risk of getting hit.

mark ant likes this.
  11. Pound4PoundGG

Oct 9, 2013
    Yes but he isnt really remembered much for his defence. I think his offence was that good that he didnt need much of one.

12. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Duran beat Ray in the pocket in their first bout though.

13. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    the brawl in montreal is probably the greatest fight in terms of displaying skill in the pocket from both fighters, Duran`s defense inside was awesome.

14. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    His footwork was great and I watched him slip shots well too, he had great reflexes, but he did also get caught a bit too much too.

15. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Tyson`s hooks were usually wide though, I saw him in the pocket in a couple of fights v Tubbs, Thomas and Mathis, he use to get clinched a lot on the inside too.