Best defensive fighter in history while in the pocket?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Can I box, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    PBF routinely kept his opponents to career low connect % and punch out put numbers for a reason, he's arguably the best defensive fighter of all time.:deal:

2. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    I disagree PBF's shoulder roll always left him in the position for the counter more so than Pea Whitaker who was usually off balanced when he was on defense and not in the position to counter. PBF was a much better counter puncher than Pea for that reason.

3. Pound4PoundGG

Pound4PoundGG Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2013
    I disagree. He hardly ever ever countered from the shoulder roll. He countered in the middle of the ring when his reflexes would avoid a punch then he would counter but i never saw him counter from the shoulder roll. Give me some examples of him counering from the shoulder roll?? He would usually be against the ropes on his back foot when doing the shoulder roll.

4. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    He countered plenty in the shoulder roll and did some of his best work while there. He would throw a quick short right hand or right hook all the time while in the shoulder roll. Pea was usually off balanced while moving and used his legs way more than PBF ever did he was all over the place doing all kind of twists and turns on defense which lead to him being off balanced dropped and out of position to counter. Like I said earlier PBF was a much better counter puncher than Pea because he was usually not off balanced and out of position like Pea was.

This content is protected

This video has plenty of examples of him doing it 3:53 against Oscar and 6:50 he does it against Mosley.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    iii and Pound4PoundGG like this.
  5. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Toney had no where near the consistency of those two, at his absolute best the difference between him and Mayweather/Swear Pea is not that far

6. Alo2006

Alo2006 R.I.P Sean Taylor Full Member

Jun 28, 2006

Clearly u haven't seen none of the fights where he's in the pocket then. Of Course u get hit occasionally, but Mayweather doesn't get hit cleanly because he's rolling the punches. Canelo fight is a good prime example of Mayweather using his defense in the pocket to create offense. Mayweather as "Pretty Boy" executed this best. Using defense to create offense. He was the best at it. Mayweather vs Gatti, Mayweather vs Ndou, Mayweather vs Bruseles are some fights to see him in the pocket using his defense to create offense.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    George Crowcroft likes this.
  7. Blaxx

Blaxx Member Full Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Roberto Duran & Henry Armstrong, they lived for inside fighting. So many subtle things defensively.

They are obviously very offensive minded, but that imo makes their inside defense even more impressive.

Honourable mention: Toney, Mayweather, Whittaker, Locche, Benitez, Lomachenko

George Crowcroft likes this.
  8. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Yeah exactly, that’s what I said. I’ve seen close to every fight of Floyd’s career and I’ve never seen him fight effectively in the pocket. Where does that idea come from? He’s nowhere near as good as Hopkins is on the inside, yet Floyd seems to get mentioned before him?

9. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    Oh right, now I get it. You’re illiterate and used a double negative. I’ve seen all those fights, YDKSAB. I’ve seen Floyd get bloodied up and bashed by Augustus on the inside. Floyd uses defense to escape, not to create offence. Those fights you mentioned were against punching bags, he didn’t need any defense in those fights. That’s why he wasn’t afraid to let his hands go in those fights.

10. Alo2006

Jun 28, 2006

Well u couldn't have seen most of his fights saying that. Maybe u should go back and watch closely this time. I guess u never seen Canelo fight, nor Nduo, Gatti fight. Just to name a few where he fought in the pocket. Chop Chop Corley, Bruseles as well.

11. Alo2006

Jun 28, 2006
    Clearly u can't read u stupid ****! I guess Canelo is a punching bag too huh? By the way u dummy, Mayweather fought Augusts with a fracture hand most of that fight and still won. Clearly u don't know ****! So i won't waste time trying to educate an idiot as yourself! The fact that u said he don't create offense off his defense speaks volumes of ur knowledge of Mayweather. U clearly are a i heard this from other people, so it must be true man lol Go learn boxing for yourself clown, and stop posting what u heard other people saying.

12. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    I’ve already talked about the Canelo fight in this thread. I’ve seen those fights. Look at the names you’re mentioning as well, even if you had a point.

13. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    I’ve just watched Hopkins-Pavlik again, what a masterclass. Look at the defense in that fight. That is a fighter turning defense into offence. Then keep in mind that is a 43 year old (older than Floyd now). Hopkins belongs in these conversations, a long way before someone like Floyd.

14. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Yup. Yes, he was.

15. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The reason is because Toney's outside game is not even close to Mayweather's. If it was, he'd utilize it more.