Best five wins thread. Lineal / Ring Magazine heavyweight champions.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, May 8, 2020.

1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Corbett beat Sullivan in 1892, which was his last fight. I'm talking about Choynski from 1889....that guy.

I think the 1889 Choysnki beats the 1882 far gone Sullivan.

Was Choynski Sullivan's sparring partner in 1889? That would be news to me as he was retired for 7 years or so. If you're saying Sullivan was active after losing to Corbett, he might have another unlisted fight or two, though I doubt someone as famous as he was could escape the press from recording it.

2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    The Jeffries fight is a difficult issue, because we don't have anything else to judge him by.

It might be that he still had enough left to beat every single white hope, or he might truly have had nothing left.

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Choynski has 4 recorded fights before the loss to Corbett ,3 against nobodies, those three have respective records of
    1-0-0,
    0-0-0
    6-7-5
    The other, that no dec,aborted one with Corbett.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  4. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    We need to say a little about Denver Ed Martin now.

He is largely forgotten today, but he was highly touted going into the Johnson fight. He was one of the few contenders that people gave a chance of defeating Jeffries, and he went into the fight a betting favorite. He was 6' 4'', and by some accounts had a 20lb weigth advantage over Johnson. Here are some of the things said about Martin before the fight:

"He is young, almost if not quite ad clever as Ruhlin, can punch harder, is ambitious and thoroughly game. As I said several weeks ago, of all the men looming up on the pugilistic horizon not one has better qualifications for usurping the title than he. The next champion will be a black man, mark the prediction."

San Francisco Evening Post

"The Colored Heavyweight championship lies between Denver Ed Martin, the black whirlwind of the coast, and neither will have a clear title until he whips the other."

Bute Miner

"Since the start of his career, Martin's strongest card has been his cleverness. Endowed to an unusual extent by nature in respect to size and strength, he is also one of the most skilled men in the profession, big or little."

Los Angeles Herald

"Martin has quite a reputation in the east, and will surely go into the fight a favorite over Johnson. Johnson while not as experienced as Martin, has youth and ambition in his favor, and has an idea that he is as good as the best of them."

Tom McCarey

70sFan865 and mcvey like this.
  5. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Some observations about the fight itself:

"From the start, realizing that Martin had every physical advantage, Johnson played a waiting game, looking to counter. He assumed a peculiar position, half crouched, and blocked the clever Martin's efforts, in a way that repeatedly evoked cheers from the house."

"They mixed it like bantems, fought in and out like middleweights, and were lightning fast on their feet. In covering ground rapidly Martin showed himself to be a wonder. His footwork was splendid, his boxing phenomenally stylish, and his appearance in the ring most impressive."

Los Angeles Herald

"Denver Ed Martin was the harder hitter, but that did not help him any. Johnson's cleverness was something that he could not solve. His left jabs sailed past Johnson's ear nearly every time."

National Police Gazette

Johnson would fight McVea a mere 21 days later!

Needless to say, I wish this fight had been filmed, because it would show us a new dimension to Johnson!

70sFan865, mcvey and dmt like this.
  6. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I will now say a few words on Sam McVea.

Some people dismiss these fights based upon McVea's youth and inexperience, but he was undoubtedly viewed as a top contender.

"Jeffries now fears no pugilist on earth capable of giving him a battle. There is one man who might have a faint chance of success, and that is Sam McVea, the Oxnard Giant. He weighs in excess of 200lbs, and has a very hard wallop. He is the only kind of man, of whom the champion would stand in the least bit of danger. Punchers like Gardner, Monroe, Sharkey, and Ruhlin, are easy game for the champion."

San Francisco Evening Post

"They say there's only two men left who have a chance with Jeffries, that's Sam McVea and myself"

Jack Johnson

"There is none at present in the Queensbury game who is possessed of a better physique than McVea. Six feet in height, weight 210 pounds and as hard as nails, with no bad habits and his twenty first birthday yet to greet him."

Referee Harry Stuart

I could go on!

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    mcvey and Jason Thomas like this.
  7. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    When Johnson defeated Martin the first time he was after beating Armstrong, Childs, Ferguson and Griffin...a vry impressive list, plus he regularly outboxed Ruhlin in sparring. As for the Corbett-Choynski fight they wre virtual amateurs, think Lewis-Bowe in the Olympics, bitter rivals who would go on to be elite fighters. Joe Goddard would soon bounce Choynski around and Hall bested him. No comparison with the great John L at that time.

8. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    i'm looking forward to seeing posters struggle to find 5 decent wins for Willard! :)

mcvey likes this.
  9. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    It will get worse when we get to guys like Braddock, Spinks and Briggs.

One thing that this exercise has shown me, is that Hart should probably be better regarded than Burns or Willard!

Jason Thomas and mattdonnellon like this.
  10. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Then you have the second Martin fight.

Johnson had already beaten him, but it was much more decisive, so it might merit a spot?

mcvey likes this.
  11. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    One of the issues with Johnson, is that he has multiple wins over some good fighters, such as Martin, McVea and Ferguson.

Do you give him one place per fighter, or could some of them theoretically get two slots?

12. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    One name for champion.

13. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Jason Thomas: Johnson best 5 wins

Jim Jeffries--Jeff was a big man, had been a most dominant champion, and as with Sullivan against Corbett, this was his only loss ever. He certainly wasn't what he had been, but one can at least ask if the fact that Johnson was bigger, stronger, and far more skilled, especially at infighting, than any of Jeff's earlier opponents had something to do with how bad Jeff looked. Jeff certainly is historically the best heavyweight Johnson defeated.

Sam McVea--another big man. He had KO'd some good fighters like Martin. He was not at his career best, but was already considered a dangerous contender.

Denver Ed Martin--a big fellow who could box well and was considered a rising contender.

Tommy Burns--The reason I rate him so low is that those first three were actually bigger than Johnson. On film against Johnson, Burns looks to be a super-middle at most. He is just too small to be considered higher for me.

Fireman Jim Flynn--others could be picked, but Flynn had some big wins over his career, including over Langford and Dempsey, although both slaughtered him in rematches.

There are quite a number of men who could be put in that 5th spot, such as Frank Moran, Al Kaufman, George Gardner, etc. And all kinds of names who are either too old, too small, or too green.
    This content is protected

14. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    McVey is believed to have had several early fights that have gone under the radar.Jeffries himself said he would be a physical match for him as regards size ,[McVey was 205lbs for the 3rd Johnson fight,] but declined to take the fight because of Sam's colour.
    I should like to say that the contributions from yourself,Jason Thomas, and Matt Donnellon have been outstanding on this thread.Objective,considered,unbiased ,and without any trace of agenda.It makes me almost regret not having participated more fully, instead of remaining on the periphery as I have done, and if a different poster had been the author of this thread I would have been happy to have engaged with it. My sincere best wishes for your future endeavours .

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    mattdonnellon likes this.
  15. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    That is going to be a game changer where Johnson is concerned!