Best five wins thread. Lineal / Ring Magazine heavyweight champions.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, May 8, 2020.

1. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    You should put your arguments forward.

Mendoza and mattdonnellon like this.
  2. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Not many posters really know the early period, McVey's input would be invaluable.

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Jeffries had over a year to get down to fighting weight for the Johnson fight,he came into the ring undefeated and in hard condition,a six pack stomach is evidence of his religious training.
    You can say that he wasn' t whom he had been but, if you,as the OP has , try and suggest that ,"Jackson was "in good shape" after nearly 6 years out of the ring and 37 years old with a drink problem for his fight with Jeffries,then it smacks of blatant hypocrisy and bias to then totally change your criteria when it is Jeffries as the older man coming out of retirement.
    It was Fitz's opinion that Johnson could have stopped Jeffries whenever he opened up on him.
    The problem with quotes is if you highlight one as part of your argument,you cannot then reject others from the same source and expect to retain any credibility or pretensions towards objectivity.
    It is perhaps interesting that William Brady, and Gus Ruhlin both believed and stated that Jeffries was "leery of Johnson and wanted none of his game". Both men have quotes to that effect in Pollack's Jeffries book.

4. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Jeffries made it very clear that he would not fight Martin as well.

mcvey likes this.
  5. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I think that I need say a bit more about McVea.

He probably had fourteen professional fights before he faced Johnson for the first time.

The betting odds were 10/7 in Johnson's favor, despite the fight being in McVea's home town, probably because of Johnson's brilliant win over Martin.

McVea had knocked out Fred Russel, who had just knocked out Hank Griffin, who had just held Jack Johnson to a draw, so this fight was not seen as a foregone conclusion.

In his autobiography, Johnson wrote that McVea knew more about boxing than any other pugilist that he fought, with the exception of Joe Choynski!

After their first fight the Los Angeles Express said that McVea "stood up to blows that ordinarily would kill any other man."

mcvey likes this.
  6. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I've asked. Not sure what he's waiting for.

7. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Jeffries was in Ali like shape when he fought Holmes. 6 years of ring rust, and age + the heat. The shell fact comes from those who saw the fight.

8. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Well, was Jeffries one of Johnson's five best wins or not in your opinion? Others are asking for your opinion. Join in on the thread, the water is fine.

On Jackson, the press who saw him work out said he was in shape and regained his form. He didn't need to lose a lot of weight. His friends concurred and were excited that he re-gained his form. This is the press on hand I'm quoting, not Pollack, who wasn't there. Jackson had a lively round one. There was no visible decline in his game from age shown early. He got caught by a hook in round two and quickly went south. Down a few more times and that was it, he was out in the ropes and couldn't move.

Jackson who according to George Siler was better than Jack Johnson by long odds seemed to have chin limitations. A solid puncher ( like Goddard ) could floor him, a big puncher like Jeffries, well we saw. My theory as to why is Jackson, who was built for speed had just a 15" neck which is very small for a man his size. ( Full tale of the tape measurements form the Corbett fight ) Either way Jeffries did what he should have. He didn't need 15 rounds to put a past is prime guy away, this fight was essential over in 2 rounds. Not top 5 win for Jeffries in my opinion. His resume is rather deep.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  9. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Despite the conclusive nature of the first Johnson McVea fight, the later ones seem to have generated interest.

"Among sporting men here who have followed bot, much doubt is expressed as to Johnson's ability to repeat the dose. McVea is now larger and stronger, as well as faster, and he has improved considerably in ring skill since the previous meeting, as shown by his quick disposal of Denver Ed Martin. The Oxnard man is not twenty years old, and many ring followers think that they see in him a black Jeffries."

Los Angeles Times

"It really looks as if Jeffries will have to fight a black man or quit the game. McVea's easy victory over Ed Martin has boomed the first named's stock at the coast, and a battle between McVea and Jack Johnson should now be a big drawing card. With this over, there would be nothing further to consider but a match between the winner and Jeffries."

Detroit Free Press

10. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007

The press reports Jeffries KO1 over Martin, which could have happened early in his career. Since Martin mixed it with Armstrong so often, its possible this fight did happen.

The color line is complicated. I think if the money was right, fighters do not turn down huge purses. As Champion Jeffries did fight Griffin in 1901, who was black. While it was only 4 rounds and he floored him a few times, it does show as champion he could break the color line. Had Griffin somehow knocked him out, he's the next lineal champion. After he beat Munroe, Jeffries did mention Johnson's name to the press as a possible next opponent. Why? Perhaps Johnson's reputation had grown since 1901 when Jeffries told Johnson you could not draw flies, then offered a private fight on the spot which Johnson refused.

Hart vs. Johnson was billed as an elimination match. Jeffries said if there is interest, he would fight Hart, there wasn't. Fans and didn't want to see an early-round KO, which is what they saw with Munore who was durable. This is too bad, because the filming was better in 1905-1906. Jeffries vs. Hart would have shown us Hart, and Jeffries at his best.

11. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    We need to say a bit about Sandy Ferguson.

He was also touted as a logical challenger for Jeffries, and like Martin and McVea, he lost his chance to Johnson.

Unlike them, he probably had better options than fighting Johnson, and he would probably have made better challenger for Jeffries than Munro.

After he got a draw against Gus Ruhlin, which many thought should have been a win, the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin wrote that his performance put him in line to meet the winner of the upcoming Jeffries Corbett fight.

The Police Gazette wrote:

"Though not quite twenty one years old Sandy weighs 226 pounds in condition and stands 6 feet 3 inches in his stocking feet. This makes him a bigger chunk of humanity then the present champion, who is no Lilliputian."

Johnson himself said:

"He is about the fastest man on his feet for a heavyweight since Corbett. He is quick, too, and is there with the punch."

If I have to name which fight I am picking, then I see the third as being the most important of the series.

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    An interesting tid bit re Choynski ,his first opponent,George Bush 1-0-0 was not only Sullivans regular sparring partner,he was his only one.
    Sullivan avoided conventional sparring because he was concerned about damage to his hands.Bush used to hold a rugby ball in his hands at chest height and move around John L while the big man attempted to hit it.
    A sort of primitive fore-runner of the hook and jab pads.

13. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    So what am I getting at, and what choices am I justifying?

1. Jeffries
    I am very reluctantly putting the Jeffries fight in first place, in view of his dominance in his prime, and the lack of evidence that other fighters could have duplicated the feat.
    2. McVea II
    This takes second place because of its role in establishing Johnson as a standout contender. Any of the three fights could occupy this position alone, but if I have to chose one, then I select the second.
    3. Martin I
    Chosen because of its role in establishing Johnson as the top contender, the stylistic problems posed by Martin, and the fact that Martin was expected to win.
    4. Burns
    Whatever physical advantages Johnson had, Burns was the champion, and this has to count for something.
    5. Ferguson III
    A win over a dangerous contender, who was seen by some as the logical challenger for Jeffries, and perhaps the most capable of all the white challengers of the period.

Jason Thomas and 70sFan865 like this.
  14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    After Johnson's December 1903 win over Ferguson , Jeffries was asked for a comment.
    This was his response."If the public demands that I fight Johnson I will surely have to decline.
    If I am defeated the championship will go to a white man,for I wil not fight a colored one.
    Now mind, I am not shirking from this match because I am afraid of Johnson,for I think I could lick him as easily as the rest,but I simply will not fight a colored man for the championship.
    The only regret I feel is that Sandy Ferguson did not whip Johnson.I would willingly have given him a match.
    I was anxious that he should win in order that I might do so." Boston Globe December14th 1903.

15. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Ferguson would have had a more successful boxing career, if he had drawn the color line.

If he had just focused on beating the white contenders, he would surely have fought for the title at some point.

mcvey likes this.