Best five wins thread. Lineal / Ring Magazine heavyweight champions.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, May 8, 2020.

1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    The voting ends for Spinks to night. Might we see his name on the next guy's list?

2. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    When one guy is over the limit, it's not a fight at that weight class. Since there was no official cruiser weight division at that time, it makes it a heavyweight fight. Janitor thinks the same. No one else has an issue with it.

dmt likes this.
  3. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Mike Tyson

1. Spinks - as Mendoza said on Joe Louis top 5 sometimes how you win matters

2. Ruddock
    3. Tucker
    4. Holmes
    5. Bruno

4. dmt

dmt Hardest hitting hw ever Full Member

Jul 2, 2006
    Mike Tyson

1. Razor Ruddock
    2. Tony Tucker
    3. Pinklon Thomas
    4. Frank Bruno
    5. Michael Spinks

IMO Tyson's win over a prime Bruno is better than beating an aging Holmes. I would put the win over Holmes at #6 considering Holmes was ring rusty.

5. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Tyson has quite decent top 5, but on the highest tier.

6. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Tyson will be interesting, I see various placements for the spinks bout. I chose spinks as top choice because I remember the magnitude of the bout. The hype was huge even if the conclusion was never in doubt. Still I don’t think anyone expected 90 seconds. It was the apex of Tyson’s career.
    His 5th slot will be interesting too, Berbick to be youngest champ ever? Pinklon Thomas and his quality career, same with Bruno.
    Holmes was rusty but was never stopped before or again and still had win over Mercer ahead, as well as tough competitive bout with Evander ahead of him.
    One of the more interesting champs with choices for sure

7. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Spinks top 5 was no easy task. Counting the votes that were made it came out like this.

1. Holmes 25 points
    2. Cooney 20 points
    3. Tangstand 15 points
    4. Johnson 6 points
    5. Ranquello 2 points.

8. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    I take it people could wait to get off the " Jinx " and move on to Tyson. Looking back, Tyson really fit the times and the culture. Like Jack Dempsey, he put boxing on the front page in non boxing media.

Tyson's top 5

1. Thomas. He was 29-1-1, close to his peak. A great performance by Tyson on offense and defense.

2. Bruno. A decent big / alphabet champion stopped.

3. Tucker. Tyson won easy on points. Not the most exciting fight, but a good opponent beaten. Tucker has wins over Douglas and McCall, and went the distance with Tyson and Lewis. For a short period of time, he was a really good fighter.

4. Holmes. Tyson was the only man to stop Holmes. He was brilliant on this night.

5. Tubbs. Taken out in 2 rounds.

I might tinker with this. Spinks might place. Ruddock might place. A win over Withrepsoon would really make this a solid top 5. Too bad that one never happened. It could have been Tyson's best win.

Voting ends Friday night 11:59PM Eastern standard time USA.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  9. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Tyson
    1) Holmes
    2) Spinks
    3) Ruddock
    4) Thomas
    5) Bruno
    A rather weak top five for such a great fighter. Wish he would have come back and beat Douglas or Holyfield. No revenge wins or ever came off the canvas to come back and win. Hurts his resume

Jason Thomas likes this.
  10. Jason Thomas

Jason Thomas Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2019
    Mike Tyson

1-----Michael Spinks
    2-----Larry Holmes
    3-----Trevor Berbick
    4-----Pinklon Thomas
    5-----Razor Ruddock

I echo Gazelle Punch's post. It isn't as impressive as one would expect.

Spinks--Tyson is the only guy to ever beat this two division champion.
    Holmes--Tyson the only guy to ever stop Holmes, who had lost to that time only to Spinks
    Berbick--a guy whose career is speckled with upset wins over guys like Page and Thomas, and was the fellow Tyson first won a title from. And also a durable fighter whom Tyson stopped impressively.
    After that there is a fairly deep resume of A beats B who beats C who beats A type of fighters. Several others could be picked, but I went with Thomas and Ruddock as looking like the best of this group.

Tyson really needed a win over Holyfield to cement high ATG status. As is, he ends being one of those fighters more impressive for being exiting than for having a great resume, like his idol, Jack Dempsey.

11. dmt

dmt Hardest hitting hw ever Full Member

Jul 2, 2006
    I will take a win over a prime dangerous contender like Ruddock over past their prime versions of Spinks or Holmes

Spinks's knees were gone by this time, IMO Ruddock beats 1988 Spinks

12. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    1. Tony Tucker
    2. Michael Spinks
    3. Larry Holmes
    4. Bonecrusher Smith
    5. Trevor Berbick

I am noting some very different lists here!

13. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    And all look very reasonable. He has a very even top 10 even.

14. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    1-Spinks
    2-Tucker
    3-Tubbs
    4-Ruddock
    5-Holmes

15. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I struggle to see why Bruno is featuring on these lists.