Best five wins thread. Lineal / Ring Magazine heavyweight champions.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, May 8, 2020.

1. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004
    I am suprised by just how poor Tyson's list is to some other ATGs. Lots of depth, lots of dominance, but no real top end wins (By atg status). Not sure if my consideration of the circumstances will change this for me, by the end of this post.

1. Spinks - Pressure was on this was his crunch moment and he won it in 90 seconds. Right up there with any performance of any heavy in history, when i think about it.
    2. Holmes - Was considered past it at the time, but holmes had been dominant champ, performed well in his last fights against spinks, would be a top contender for many years. He started okay, but was simply demolished. This was a very, very good win.
    3. Berbick - He was a champion with as good a claim as any (at the time), was experienced, had beaten very good fighters. He wasnt unbeatable but he was proven first class. Tyson smashed him in a round. It was a huge win and we are supposed to be considering the manner of the win here. This was considered a real (if not splintered) championship fight and tyson came through with flying colours.
    4. Smith - Bonecrusher was a massive fight. He just KOd witherspoon in a round, hype was massive, no one thought it would last longer than a round. Tyson completely dominated him, and made him hug for dear life. It was a domination on points which showed Tyson could go the distance. He couldnt really have done much more in this fight and it was considered a massive fight.
    5. Bruno 2 - there was a number of fights, Tucker, ruddock etc which could have gone here. I have used the 2nd Bruno fight, not because he was the best of these fighters, but because he was a good fighter, and Tyson was past prime by this time. Despite this, he didnt just win the fight well, he did so in a manner that was so impressive that no one had an inkling of just how vulnerable he was going to be in his next fight with Evander Holyfield. It was a very good performance by Tyson, considering his condition (in relation to his prime).

All in all, after looking at those wins, i think his ATG ranking does make a comeback in my eyes, though it is based on the impressiveness of his performances more so than the quality of opposition.

Bokaj likes this.
  2. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Tyson wasn't rocked badly vs Bruno.

And it wasn't his toughest fight prior to Douglas.

Tillis, Thomas, Tucker all gave Tyson harder fights than Bruno.

3. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I disagree. Yes Bruno did rock Tyson. Tyson's leg buckled and his balance wasn't all there. If Bruno had landed something serious during this process one never knows. It was on that night I said to myself, Tyson is beatable.

4. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    The diversity among Tyson's top 5 is fascinating. I just can't put Spinks as a top 2 win. Spinks entered the ring as if he was a fluffy white kitten thrown over a fence landing on an unleashed junkyard dog.

The man was scared and promptly blown away. If I felt Spinks was better than other Tyson opponents, I'd list this as a high win. Spinks knew his gig at heavyweight was up. Right after this fight Spinks retired from boxing.

Straight up a focused Bruce Seldon, who was also petrified with fear and also blown out in one round by Tyson would probably defeat Spinks

As a footnote, I'm going to tally up Tyson earlier than usual tonight as I will be on vacation for a bit so if you have not voted yet, please do so now. On the horizon of Tokyo Bay looms the monster named Buster Douglas. His top 5 will also be interesting.

dmt likes this.
  5. VVMM

VVMM Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Not to mention Bruno lost every round against Tyson. I think the Tucker fight was Tyson's toughest before Douglas.
    To me the Tillis fight looks fixed.

6. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    James Buster Douglas

1. Tyson
    2. Trevor Berbick
    3. Oliver McCall
    4. Tex Cobb
    5. Greg Page

Interesting choices for Douglas not as bad as I thought but not great by any stretch

7. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Everyone says Spinks was scared. I think that is garbage. Spinks was just outclassed by a better and more focused Tyson who kod him early. If you watch spinks, even after Tyson caught him and Knocked him down with his Bob Fitzsimmons style Left hand shift, the first time, Spinks still went for the big right hand, and was beaten to the punch again.

Spinks wasnt scared, he just knew that he needed to earn Tysons respect and until he did that he wasnt winning or settling into the fight.. Tyson was just too good on the night. No shame in that either Larry Holmes had an all time great chin and was dropped the first time he was caught clean. Berbick, Williams and others all had very good chins and were demolished.

If spinks really was scared stiff, hed have held on for dear life and fought like say Bonecrusher smith or tony tucker. He was demolished but he did his best. If Tyson wasnt at his best, Spinks would have found a way to make it a great fight. I think he beats the mythical Tokyo Tyson and i would certainly back him against Tokyo Douglas and several of Tyson's other opponents. Spinks Holyfield would have been a great, great fight.

8. Big Ukrainian

Jan 10, 2007
    James Buster Douglas

1. Tyson
    2. Page
    3. Berbick
    4. McCall
    5. Williams

9. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    tyson
    mccall
    berbick
    page
    cobb

10. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I had assumed that everybody would have McCall as the #2 on their Douglas lists.

He was very much a going concern when Douglas beat him, while Page and Berbick were very definitely on the slide.

Bokaj and Gazelle Punch like this.
  11. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Tyson's vote featured 13 people voting for 10 different fighters and with 5 different names featured as #1's. Not one fighter made everyone's top 5 vote. It's almost as if we are talking about a guy with no film from 100+ year ago. Wow. *For an extra special, I will PM Klompton the results, to see if Mike himself, who's a student of the game would like to ring in on his own top 5. * Any living lineal champion if they care to vote will be counted * Late rule amendment.

Tyson's best five wins

1. Spinks - 44 points
    2. Tucker - 34 points
    3. Holmes - 29 points
    4. Ruddock -25 points
    5. Berbick - 21 points.

Missing the cut: Thomas, Bruno, Tubbs, Smith ,Williams.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    The Long Count and dmt like this.
  12. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    On to Buster Douglas, who gave one of the most memorable upsets in boxing history. Those who saw it happen live know exactly where they were when it happened. The phones were ringing back then.

Buster Douglas top 5 wins

1. Tyson
    2. McCall
    3. Berbick
    4. Page
    5. Cobb.

Pretty good.

ideafix12 and Gazelle Punch like this.
  13. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Can't disagree more, Spinks was nervous walking into the ring, looked like he saw a ghost as soon as Tyson was in it, and that knee brace didn't inspire confidence.

During the walk into the ring a fan shouted to Spinks, "Knock him out! " The reply back from, Spinks " I'll try " was with a weak and shaky voice.

14. Big Ukrainian

Jan 10, 2007
    The reason why I put Page at #2. Two fights prior he brutally KO'd Gerrie Coetzee and won the WBA belt. He may have been on the slide, but not so far from his prime.

Also you can watch the fight, and Page looks pretty good there.

Berbick and McCall were both nice wins too.

Cobb is another good win, and Mike Williams as well.

Pretty good resume overall.

15. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Tyson
    1-Tucker
    2-Holmes
    3-Spinks
    4-Bruno
    5-Thomas

Douglas
    1-Tyson