Best five wins thread. Lineal / Ring Magazine heavyweight champions.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, May 8, 2020.

1. ideafix12

ideafix12 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Prime Tua would have killed prime Briggs

Big Ukrainian likes this.
  2. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    that’s fair he lost but he did fight vitali and Lewis. Where as Wilder didn’t fight top guys at all and let’s keep it real they took the Fury fight believing he was washed up. They are both extremely overrated Briggs and Wilder.

Big Ukrainian, ideafix12 and Mendoza like this.
  3. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I can agree with that. Briggs was never thought of as great or over hyped.. Wilder and his fans, well...

As for Fury he'll be is this thread. I hold my comment on him for later.

The Long Count likes this.
  4. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Briggs was one of the best puncher's. And he was a fairly decent boxer. My point was he could beat past lineal champions, and would have done better outside the 90's-00's.

30's champ's

[url]Jack Sharkey[/url] The Boston Gob 1932-1933
    [url]Primo Carnera[/url]
    The Ambling Alp 1933-1934
    [url]Max Baer[/url]
    The "Livermore Larruper" 1934-1935
    [url]James J. Braddock[/url]
    The Cinderella Man 1935-1937

IMO, Briggs is going 2-2 or 3-1 here.

Ingo did not hit harder than Klitschko and had a glass jaw himself. Patterson is better in a pound for pound sense but no way could he take Briggs punches. Spinks, both of them were too small. Moorer would liked beat Briggs.

5. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    No he's not, he just fought terrible competition.
    He was outboxed by ancient, slow motion 50 years old Foreman.
    Sharkey would make him look like a fool.
    Baer would stop him.
    Braddock and Carnera would outbox him.

I'd give him a fair chance only against Carnera because he wasn't the most durable, so he'd go 0-4 or 1-3.
    He wouldn't need to, because he would outbox him.
    Michael beat Holmes and Cooney, that's enough to pick him over Briggs.

What is funny is how you call 1990s so great and yet this era had three of the worst lineal champions ever - Moorer, old Foreman and Briggs.

ideafix12 and Big Ukrainian like this.
  6. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007

Lewis, who fought great opponents, says Briggs was the hardest hitter. Briggs has 37 of first round KO's, which is the record of heavyweight champions. That means something.

Sharkey had a glass jaw ( down 15 times in his career that I know of ), and lost a ton. Canera took him out with one shot. Sharkey could not punch hard either. Briggs would likely do the same as Carnera did.

Baer could stop him, but the man dropped many and could not box as well. Anyone who knows boxing can see Baer had mediocre skills at best and next to no jab.

Braddock for lack of a better word did nothing well, he sucked as a champion. Briggs would take him out inside 3 rounds. The size and power difference here is staggering. Carnera won some lost some but could not take power either.

Spinks beat an aging Homes and a washed up Cooney. He didn't belong at heavyweight and judging how easily Tyson stopped him, Briggs would do the same.

The 1990's will have 8 EIGHT active ATG's: Lewis, Holyfield, Tyson, Foreman, Holmes, ,Klitschko, Klitschko, Bowe and many good contenders. Way better than the 1930's boxing. Moorer was champion because Holyfield was inconstant, and Foreman because he cashed in late on Moorer.

Ring Magazine, who ranked the decades at heavyweight said the 1930's was the worst. You might like the fighters better, and that's fine but the 1990's is so much better overall. I see no reason why Briggs could not do well in the 1930's. Guys like Galento, Hamas and Nova were #1 ranked. Braddock and many of the top contenders of the time would be waxed vs the best in the 1990's.

I think fighters like Tua, Rahaman, Ike, Mercer, Byrd, Morrison, Ruddock, and Tucker would better #1 ranked guys in the 1930's like Galento, Hamas and Nova, in addition to creaming the standard contenders of the times.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  7. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Maybe to you, for me it says that he was even worse boxer than I thought. Having such a power and being so bad doesn't look good.
    How many times was Sharkey stopped in his prime? Jack beat Godfrey and Wills, much better fighters than Briggs. Sharkey thrived against slow, one dimensional sluggers.
    Briggs wasn't a better boxer than Baer, he was bad. Baer was much, much better.
    It doesn't make this era that great when you count two 40+years old fighters.
    You don't understand - Briggs did nothing in his era. He got a gift against an ancient Foreman who schooled him and did nothing after. If you assume that he might get lucky like Galento and get 1st place for very brief moment, then fine. He'd get destroyed by any of elite fighter of this era.

dinovelvet likes this.
  8. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I am not sure that he would have to be honest.

As awful as Briggs top five are, he seemed to show something against the best in the division!

Mendoza likes this.
  9. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    I disagree, Tua has much better resume than Briggs.

ideafix12 and Big Ukrainian like this.
  10. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    You really want me to drill down more to make points. Jack Sharkey was stopped 4 times and retired at age 33. He was down at least 15 times. He lost 13 times, many of which to no names, and drew 4 times. Even with lighter gloves his KO% was just 24.53%.He really did not beat Schmling so make that 14 losses. And Renault according to the press beat Jack Sharkey, now that's 15 losses. This should factor into anyone's reasoning on ranking. If you want to claim age, Briggs had a far better case than Sharkey does...by a mile. Do you really want to go there?

Godfrey could have been handcuffed, Wills was older. Those are the wins to brag about? Foreman is better than that, and likely Laihovich on that night Briggs beat him was too.

Galento had no skills at all. He was short and fat with limited at best skills. He would not rate at all in the 1990's This is 1930's era was mostly small men who couldn't punch, guys who could not box well and few punchers.

The only two guys who could box and punch were Louis and Schmeling, and they would be small in the 1990's and IMO neither took a punch above the level Schmeling could offer. You can gasp on 1 Biggs TKO loss.. Agreed! Now factor in the multiple on no names that old the best in the 1930's. See my point? Why not compare apples to apples?

Yes Briggs was a better boxer than Max Baer. Watch the films. Briggs was an accomplished amateur, and far more technical.

I still can not believe you suggest the 1930's was better than the 1990s.

Why not view Brigg's KO's. I don't see these slow hands you mention. I see skills.

This content is protected

11. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Jesse Fergusson has better wins than Briggs

12. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    How would you rate Briggs' TOP-5 wins, by the way?

13. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Absollutely. Also we have to admit that Tua in his prime lost only to very good fighters like Ike, Lennox or Byrd, while Briggs was beaten by jorneyman Fields and KO'd by fringe contender Wilson. Yes, the same Wilson who was KO'd by Tua in 1 in his next fight

ideafix12, dinovelvet and 70sFan865 like this.
  14. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    So not many times.
    Sharkey fought almost 30 ranked opponents, it's normal that he had down performances against such a competition. Don't even compare that to Briggs competition.
    You don't have any evidences for that, so it's not an argument.
    He was still top contender and much better than any win Briggs has.
    Briggs lost to Foreman, why do you even keep mentioning this fight? He was schooled by 50 years old man who struggled with journeymen.
    What are you talking about? There were plenty of punchers in thay era and plenty of boxers as well.
    You forgot about countless of other boxer punchers... Someone like Lou Nova was better than Briggs.
    He wasn't, he had terrible stamina and never outboxed anyone notable. Baer won many decisions against good fighters.
    I never said that, I just point out your double standards. There are plenty of reasons to criticize 1990s and plenty of reasons to defend 1930s.
    Anyone can look good against bad competition. Better tell me who Briggs stop to call him such a great puncher.

15. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I am not here to defend Briggs resume.

Very much the opposite.

What I am going to say next might sound a bit philosophical, so feel free to dismiss it.

Even the weakest lineal heavyweight champions, seem to share a bit of an X factor, that most fighters don't!

Briggs beat old Foreman controversially.

He gave Lennox Lewis a better fight than many.

He sensationally knocked out Lyakovich, with seconds to spare, when many people thought that Lyakovich was the best heavyweight in the world!

Yes, many did, and the news stunned me!

Evan as an empty shell, he lasted the distance against Vitally Klitschko, and absorbed one of the worse beatings in heavyweight history, while the best contemporary contenders couldn't do this!

A weak lineal champion, but still something special?

Bokaj likes this.