Best jab In British boxing

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by ginger warrior, May 27, 2013.

1. 2 good examples on Saturday,froch used his effectively shooting from the hip and before people dismiss his skills.you have to have a quality jab to control the action against Abraham and Kessler

Then George groves,ramrod jab used as a genuine weapon.he puts all his body weight hips and shoulders into it and is very accurate

Others that are effective off the top of my head
    Amir khan
    Kell brook
    Nathan cleverly
    Andy lee

I personally think groves is top draw
    What do people think

2. NJR

NJR And The New Full Member

Mar 22, 2013
    I love Groves' jab, I think his style is the most exciting to watch.

3. Berliner

Berliner Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Groves has not proved that his jab is great at world level. Froch has.

4. atberry

atberry Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2009
    There have been excellent jabs in British post-war boxing, as well.

Buchanan, Conteh, Eubank and Lewis come to mind.

Then there's Jim Watt who timed his jab as well as anyone, there's Nigel Benn who was out-jabbing ultra-rangey Lenzie Morgan, Naz who was out-jabbing ultra-rangey Kevin Kelley, and Joe Calzaghe had a nice, spearing right jab. Frank Bruno also had an underrated jab.

5. Hamas

Hamas Active Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Darren barker
    Tyson fury when he can be arsed to use it

6. billy nelson

billy nelson the fighting scots gym Full Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Look a bit more north guys!

7. pikecubic

pikecubic Active Member Full Member

May 8, 2012
    Yeh ricky's jab is one of the best around. Bellew hs got a great jab when he gets it going, and kev satchell has got a beautiful jab which he throws from odd angles and ca really hurt oppoonents.

8. Bellew is underrated but he needs to vary more I think

9. I thought burns jab against katsidis and Moses in particular were great examples of how to control the fight and your opponent

10. rossco666

rossco666 Guest

Right now probably Froch and Burns.
    All time - Buchanan, Lewis and Conteh. Im not very clued up on the pre war fighters.

11. billy nelson

billy nelson the fighting scots gym Full Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Buchanan and Lewis had fantastic jabs agreed

12. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Guest

Brook has a decent jab, but again not yet tested at world level.

13. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Noticed similarities in the way Groves throws the jab in a similar manner as to how Eubank Sr did.

Granted Groves jab isn't proven in any way or sort at the same level as Eubank's was.

14. craney91

craney91 Boxing Addict banned

Mar 23, 2012
    :lol:

The same jab Ricky couldn't even get close with against Gonzalez? :nut

Ricky's got a great jab, no doubting it, but its hardly the best as you need to be able to use it against all kinds of styles. Ricky had trouble hitting Gonzalez with anything and got noticeably frustrated.

The best jab IMO is also the most effective and whilst Carl Froch's technique is hardly the best, he makes it work and its effective.

Mikkel Kessler will tell you that from the 1st and 2nd fight. Carl has got long arms and a weird reach, and for the first three rounds Saturday, Carl made that jab work and controlled the fight. Which surprised me if I'm honest because I always thought Carl had a "nothing" jab, more of a feeler than an actual punch. Going into the fight I thought it would be a battle of the jabs, one I thought Kessler would win hands down. But it was so effective against Kessler who himself has got a world class jab. Kessler only found a way to get past it 3-4 rounds into the fight and even then he was still getting his head knocked back all fight.

Groves' jab is super quick and its eye candy, but its not always the most effective. On efficiency and the ability to dictate a fight from distance, I'll say Carl Froch has got the best jab in British Boxing. Even if it doesn't look as nice as Groves'. He's got a good up-jab aswell Carl.

15. Smoggy7188

Smoggy7188 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Satchell has a very good jab.