Best Middleweight Chin?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by dpw417, Jan 19, 2008.

1. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Greb? Monzon? Hagler? LaMotta? Fullmer?.....Who is the most durable in your opinion? What order would you put them in?:think

Addendum: and Walker too!

2. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Greb, follow by Walker, I suppose Fullmer would be next, Robinson is other one.

3. Sweet Pea

Sweet Pea Obsessed with Boxing banned

Dec 26, 2007
    Fullmer can be discounted immediately for going lights out against Robinson.

Monzon has been down legitimately.

Hagler has never been legitimately down.

LaMotta has never been legitimately down at MW I don't believe, and even took some of the best shots from HW hard hitter Bob Satterfield.

Greb took great shots from bigger fighters often, only once stopped due to an arm radius fracture.

Between Hagler, LaMotta, and Greb. LaMotta took more punishment based on what I've seen than Hagler, but Hagler took just as good punches full on. Haven't seen Greb in action, but if his record is any indication, he easily belongs in this group. Not much to sperate them though.

4. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I agree Sweet Pea.

I'll put LaMotta at the top of the tree with Hagler and Greb there or there abouts.

Hopkins deserves a mention.

5. BoppaZoo

BoppaZoo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Les Darcy or Harry Greb

6. DFW

DFW Active Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2007
    How about Dick Tiger? And Carmen Basilio although most will say he doesn't couint because he was really a welterweight.Giardello had a great chin as well.I don't remember any of these guys on the deck in a middleweight match more than one time each. Griffith had Tiger down once and Pender had Basilio down in their battle. Was Giardello ever off his feet? I can't recall.

7. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Eubank is up there.

8. Sweet Pea

Dec 26, 2007
    Is that why he went down as much as he did, even against Calzaghe? Benn was not the hardest hitter in MW history either.

9. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Hardly worth worrying about, considering the quality of the punch, how ridiculously quick he was up and the fact that he wasn't hurt barely at all. I would argue that fighters staying on their feet have been hurt much worse.

10. Nick Balsamo

Nick Balsamo Member Full Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Hagler took absolute bombs from Hearns & Mugabi. He's impossible to KO at MW.

11. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    I like Greb and Monzon personally, tho not 100% applicable Monzon's extreme resistence to cuts counts for him as well. Regardless tho chin only he is incredible. Bouts vs peak Valdez and Briscoe are plenty impressive.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  12. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Tiger needs to be mentioned. Hard, hard man.

Antofurmo, who was only down from flash knockdowns and more or less proved himself by taking Eugene Hart's best shos (That lifted him off the ****ing canvas) and going to war with Hagler and beating him at his own in the trenches game. Cuts were the only way he was ever stopped as far as I know.

McClellan had an amazing chin, as shown against Jackson.

He was literally on his feet until he punched himself into a coma.

13. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Briscoe needs to be mentioned as well.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  14. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Harder than Jones, McClellen, Jackson, Valdez, Hart, Hearns, Mugabi, Moore and Langford?

Benn's very definitely up there, but noway is he on his own mate. Great puncher tho!

Mike Cannon likes this.
  15. Sweet Pea

Dec 26, 2007
    You're being foolish. Eubanks is on his own as faras chin in the history of boxing! Benn is on his own as far as punching power in the history of boxing! Seriously, you're out of line.

Calzaghe was not the only man he was down by either, I trust you know that. Eubanks had a good chin and was tough to stop. But not the best of all time. And McClellan himself was a better puncher than Benn, as well as a few others.