Best Physiques in Boxing History ?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Claw4075, Oct 24, 2021.

1. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
  2. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    He's not exactly the best, but Jem Smith was pre-steroids (indeed, pre-basic-nutrition-or-sanitation), but looked like a tank. 5'8.5" and up to 212 at that height. Some of the pictures of him look like a much more recent fighter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jem_Smith#/media/File:Jem-Smith-c1885.png

He wasn't huge compared to later guys, but considering the options available for training, food, and public health at the time, he was a very muscular man.

3. CroBox29

CroBox29 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I would say Wladimir Klitschko, he has always had great physique, and today he is in great physical shape...

Toney F*** U and cross_trainer like this.
  4. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    IMO, in reasonable terms, they don't get better conditioned or better built than this pair. Carson, Ali and Norton. Doesn't get anymore 70s than that. A true Golden Age for boxing. Carson side kick Ed McMahon wasn't a small fella himself. Go to 17:50 for the weigh in.

This content is protected

5. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Flipping the premise for a moment, how about the least impressive physiques.? I don't mean the obvious, like overweight Butterbean types or the like.

Easiest to make the point which an actual example. IMO, Gene Tunney. Certainly, demonstrably well conditioned, strong, athletic etc. but nothing too startling about his build. Compare his flexing his back muscles on the old newsreel to Jack Dempsey doing same. Well, there is no comparison. In appearances, in all respects, Dempsey appeared exactly as one might think a fighter should look. The epitome. Besides his obvious fighting abilities, I think his overall appearance to some extent lent this huge fan base, including those accrued years after his actual career.

richdanahuff likes this.
  6. Moggy94

Moggy94 Active Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2021
    Realistically no way did Ken Norton have a better physique than Steve Cunningham, Timothy Bradley or Mike Weaver but Norton did come from a more popular era and stood out more so he will get more mentions.

cross_trainer likes this.
  7. TheWorstEver(TWE)

TheWorstEver(TWE) Active Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    Back in the early 90's a British Middleweight.....can't for the life of me remember his name but he was domestic level....came into a shop I was working in at the time & kept insisting that I felt his chest & abs, absolutely rock hard they were. Right character he was. This thread just reminded me of it.

Journeyman92 and cross_trainer like this.
  8. Moggy94

Moggy94 Active Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2021

Johnny Nelson and Carl Thompson were two other Brits who deserve a mention in the best physiques department:

This content is protected

9. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Pretty suspect, that.

10. Jake Speed

Jake Speed New Member Full Member

Jun 25, 2015
    The 80s/90s American heavyweight Mike Williams is worth a mention. He looked like a character from a Rocky film - which is probably why he ended up in a Rocky film.

11. TheWorstEver(TWE)

TheWorstEver(TWE) Active Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    It was a bit odd but he was very insistant!

George Crowcroft likes this.
  12. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    When commentating on Shavers v Roy Williams, Ken Norton noted that Shavers did weight work and how it lent to faster fatiguing of arm muscles.

Now Norton had said on other occasions that he didn’t do weights himself. I believe that in so far he didn’t do weights in any significant way. The younger Norton was just genetically well muscled and cut. He didn’t have that tell tale, extra muscle mass.

However, post career, Norton also said that he wished he had got into weights sooner. Don’t know if he was implying that he meant he began weights later in his career or post retirement.

Norton did appear to upsize a bit in muscle mass in later fights without gaining fat. He was 205 lb for the first Ali fight but later comfortably carried 220 lbs, even 224 lbs, when he fought Shavers.

13. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Dude was a unit. I wonder what vocations or training pursuits he had otherwise that might’ve lent to his build which doesn’t appear simply due to genetics.

14. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    I read somewhere that Maxick did a bit of Boxing so I'll go with him. Pre-roids too.

15. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Cleveland Williams

swagdelfadeel likes this.