Best résumé O.A.T?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by George Crowcroft, Apr 28, 2019.

1. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Mayweather > Pacquiao

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm not sure what resume means - are we just talking about how many "names" or ATGs that have on their record ? Or ones they beat ? Or ones they beat, plus factoring how those opponents were at the time they beat them ??
    What is it ?

Anyway, Sam Langford deserves a mention.
    As do Sugar Ray Robinson and Henry Armstrong.

3. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Sam Langford had WINS against:

Joe Gans, Harry Wills, Sam McVey, Tiger Flowers, Kid Norfolk, Gunboat Smith, Joe Jeanette, George McFadden, Jack Blackburn, Jeff Clark, Philadelphia Jack O'Brien, George Godfrey .... among others

also, a "newspaper" win (NO DECISION) against Stanley Ketchel.
    and a DRAW with Joe Walcott in a fight that many witnesses reckoned he deserved to be winner.

I don't know how good these fellows were but they were considered very good or greats in their own time.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Artur Grigorian

5. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Of course, i didn't include him because I wanted the others to have a chance

6. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004
    I hate attacking Greb on these types of threads, because what he did nobody could replicate and there is no doubt he has one of if not the greatest resume's ever. But, His atg Resume includes:
    A losing series with Tunney, a Tied Series with both Gibbons brothers, A series with Loughran that featured wins, Losses, Draws and No Decisions, I am also not certain the all time greatest records features draws and losses to Soldier Bartfield (according to Boxrec at least).

Interestingly, by my count off boxrec, Benny Leonard was 4 and 0 against Soldier Bartfield according to Boxrec!

It really depends on personal preference, but Bob Fitzsimmons, Ray Robinson, Jack Johnson, Willie Pep, and several others have great resumes and achievements.

Unforgiven likes this.
  7. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Not attacking this, but Jack johnson beat most of those good wins (including Langford himself) in absolutely dominating fashion, plus his resume includes all time greats Fitzsimmons and Jeffries, as well as virtually every decent white or black Heavy of his time (i know some argue about the timing). He was never as light as Langford, but he dominated every bit as much as Langford. IN fact he was winning fights both before and after Langford's career was finished. Off the top of my head he dominated Langford, McVey, Jeanette, O Brien, Gardner (world Light heavy champ), Flynn (beat Langford and Dempsey), Young Peter Jackson (coming off a draw with Langford), Tommy Burns (world heavyweight champ), Stanley Ketchell World Middleweight champion, James Jeffries (undefeated World Heavyweight champion), Bob Fitzsimmons (world Heavyweight, Light heavyweight, Middleweight Champion).

That is one hell of a resume by any standards.

ps. I admit that Gunboat smith is missing from the resume, but i cant think of anyone off hand who would see that as an issue.

The Morlocks and Unforgiven like this.
  8. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Yes. It's a great resume when you look at the names.

9. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Yeah, I'm not sure what criteria is being assumed when people are making "Harry Greb" a no-brainer reply.
    I mean, he's as good a shout as anyone else, but I'm not sure what the definition of resume that makes him the only and obvious pick.
    I think there's a good handful of boxers in the running for the greatest resume.