Best strategy for a boxer vs a mma fighter?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Bogotazo, Apr 5, 2010.

1. GreatWhiteHype

GreatWhiteHype Member Full Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Because he had been fighting MMA as a pro since 2005, and that fight was in 2008.

Can't verify, but rumor is he also has a judo black belt. Regardless, you don't fight MMA that long and never train grappling. It's ridiculous to think so.

2. paloalto00

paloalto00 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 15, 2009
    And he also had his last boxing match in 2007... either way what's your point. His standup dominated

3. Partaxian

Partaxian Active Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2009

Well it's clear that he was taken to the ground and he used his ground grappling experience to get himself out and back up to his feet where he can dominate. Plenty of mma fighters dominate standing, doesn't mean their not an mma fighter. Jeremy also has a black belt in judo. Judo is a martial art. Boxing is a martial art. You combine the 2 it's called mixing martial arts... Real simple. Jeremy ha also been working on bjj.

You go into mma with just wrestling, you get submitted, go in there with just bjj, you get ktfo, go there with just striking, boxing/kb/muay thai, you get submitted or ground and pounded.

Btw there's sparring vID of Jeremy n Lennox, Jeremy gets frustrated and starts throwing Lewis around.

4. paloalto00

Mar 15, 2009
    You are basically backing up my point, if I'm a championship boxer I'm at a huge advantage for all I need to learn is how to stay and get back up to my feet

5. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Wow. You seriously have no clue. I believe this is what Toney thought, go watch the video of what happened to him.

6. paloalto00

Mar 15, 2009
    Out of shape, not even good at his own sport Toney?

7. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    It's not as black and white as you put it, if you get taken down get back up so you can carry on trying to punch the guy. There's a lot more that goes on between getting taken down and getting back up. Like what to do if he starts getting you in a triangle or guillotine choke. What if he starts getting you in a leg lock. You have to learn how to defend yourself on the gound i.e. BJJ, you don't know what position you're going to end up in. This was Toney's downfall as he thought like you, the "I'll just get back up" mindset. People that think like that have no clue and won't get far in MMA.

8. Partaxian

Partaxian Active Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2009
    You are borrowing skills from other martial arts in order to get back up, most likely bjj and borrowing wrestling moves to stay standing. Cro cop won't submit anyone but to stay standing, he is learning different skills fr different martial arts. By learning different arts, it is, wait for it, mixing martial arts.

Look I'm a boxer but I know my limitations. Saying you will simply get back up from a hold of a bjj black belt without proper grappling training yourself is like saying you will simply slip and block a top professional boxers punches without any boxing background yourself. That's ignorant and incredibly naive.

9. KillSomething

KillSomething Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 1, 2009
    :rofl:rofl:rofl

I love how you just assume that James Toney actually 'thought'. And a semi-rational thought at that! You are no longer to be taken seriously sir. :rasta

10. learn to sprawl. seriously this isnt even a question, its a proven theory.

11. lol the sad thing is keeping it standing wont necessarily help either. pele reid kayod klitsch. people forget that.

12. Sprawla

Sprawla Active Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2010
    you say polaoto, i say potatoe

polatoto you are a idiot...you have no idea what you are talking about

13. vonLPC

vonLPC Active Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2010
    I can't believe people still argue this point. David Haye, who is one of the most athletic boxers in the sport said he got taken down at will when he tried this.

14. paloalto00

Mar 15, 2009
    You seem extremely butt hurt on the this, no need for the tears

15. paloalto00

Mar 15, 2009
    I hope you're not talking about James toney lmfao!!!