Best trainer in the game?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Beouche, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Beouche

Beouche Juan Manuel Marquez Full Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Doctor White

This content is protected

alexland likes this.
  2. alexland

alexland student of the sweet science Full Member

Mar 20, 2017
    well i think the Abel Sanchez - GGG partnership is having an incredible run. Abel has been GGG's trainer since mid 2008; that's 24 straight victories, all but one by stoppage.

but would GGG have done the same with another elite trainer (eg, Freddie Roach)? Probably not, but not because others are not as good as Abel, but because training in a smaller gym with fewer fighters, in a remote setting, and at altitude, all seem to be ideal for GGG

whether Abel could take an elite prospect that walked into his gym tomorrow and turn him in to a superstar faster than could, say Freddie Roach or Virgil Hunter--i have no idea. The fighter-trainer relationship is highly personal and depends on the unique idiosyncrasies of both. Either they mesh or they don't. For instance, Danny Garcia is certainly a successful professional among the elite; likewise, Chris Eubank Jr has 25 wins and only one loss; he's only 27 so plenty of time to improve. But i doubt either Angel Garcia or Chris Eubank Sr would be successful training different fighters who they aren't related to by blood.

khaosai galaxi and Beouche like this.
  3. Beouche

Beouche Juan Manuel Marquez Full Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Good post. Abel takes a lot of flak but Gennady seems happy

Ricky Hatton and Billy Graham had a great working relationship

khaosai galaxi likes this.
  4. cippi

cippi Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 28, 2009
    javen sugar hill on the rise. soon he will get more recognition

but i think maybe abel sanchez is on top right now.

virgil hill i dont like the guy but hes prolly up there. him n andre have heck of a bond. and virgil took on some tough challenges with berto , khan, angulo, and fonfara all the fights those guys took . they still had sum success but those guys already been thru wars and got beat up then they went to virgil so that was a tough task.

freddie is still up there. his offensive approach is great for certain fighters.

5. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
  6. Gil Gonzalez

Gil Gonzalez Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jun 15, 2012
    If you want to talk about guys who trained more than one fighter to be a champion from scratch, then we're talking about Cus D'Amato and Robert Garcia Sr.

Who else?

Did Beristain have Lopez and Marquez from the beginning?

7. JL Fighter

JL Fighter Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 24, 2009
    James Buddy McGirt.

8. Hope4Better

Hope4Better Active Member Full Member

Apr 2, 2015
  9. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    FREDDIE ROACH FOLLOWED BT ABEL SANCHEZ