Best version of McCellan and Toney at MW

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by KuRuPT, Sep 21, 2017.

1. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    who wins this fight and why?

2. Ike-Man

Ike-Man Active Member Full Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Toney late TKO.

ETM likes this.
  3. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I feel Toney because of his much better defense but their sparring match on youtube was pretty even with most people saying Gerald won.

4. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Toney does him late on, probably by stoppage.

5. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I am not a huge Toney fan, but threads keep coming up where I pick him. Perhaps I think more highly of him than I like yo admit?

I think G-Man would come out firing and Toney would bide his time as Gerald gradually slows down. Around the 4th Toney begins to get the timing down, and the tide of the fight shifts. By the 9th Toney has assumed control and stops G-man in the 11th

escudo likes this.
  6. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Toney, better fighter

7. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Odd I felt Toney clearly got the better of that sparring match maybe I need to watch again

8. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Toney would pick him apart. McClellan is tailor-made for Toney. An aggressive fighter with poor defense is ideal for Toney. Although Toney was more comfortable at 168, he was brilliant in the first bout with McCallum, very sharp and crisp and I clearly thought he won that one (rematch is a different story). That was the best version of Toney at middleweight.

McClellan would look to land his big shots and may get some in, but Toney was one of the toughest fighters I've ever seen in the ring. It's interesting that Reggie Johnson hurt Toney more than anyone in the ring until Sam Peter, I guess Toney didn't see it coming with the angle it traveled. Kind of weird but anyway, I don't think McClellan lands that miracle shot upstairs, and Toney could take a hell of a bodyshot too.

Movers gave Toney more problems, and McClellan wasn't that.

Toney shakes off some early thunder to pick G-Man apart and win a wide UD or late stoppage.

Clinton, ticar and Brixton Bomber like this.
  9. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Toney by UD. Mc Clellan is made to order for James.

10. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    On paper it should be Toney, but Gerald had those two amazing weapons in the left hook to the body and the straight right.

And when he put them together, many men fell. I don't see James taking body shots like that.

I think Toney takes it 7-5. He will certainly have to weather some storm though!

11. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Unlikely.See fights against the likes of Mc Callum and Jirov. James keeps his arms wrapped around his body that it is very difficult to penetrate his body anyway.

I agree though on your assessment that Toney would win a competitve decision.

12. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    oh toney, once the macca finds he cant smack toney out

13. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I think people are selling G-Man a little short here. He would be pretty comfortable fighting Toney having been in the ring with him and seeing what he likes to do defensively. I think Toney is tough to figure out if you're first facing him, but that wouldn't be the case for G-Man. Their sparring match seemed pretty competitive to me, and they were going at it as well.

14. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Sparring is different though. He may have some success with Toney in the first half of the fight but if James is still there after 5 or 6 rounds what then? We really don't know enough about McCellen once he got into deep water. I don't know how much to take from the Benn fight. Toney has enough power himself to make Gerald pay with counters off his defense. I think Toney is the more well rounded proven fighter.

I agree with James Toney by late stoppage.