Best way to transfer my DVD collection to hard drive?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by D.Haye-no1-p4p, Jan 10, 2008.

1. D.Haye-no1-p4p

D.Haye-no1-p4p Active Member Full Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Hello,

I now have a few hundred boxing DVDs and it's becoming increasingly difficult to keep track of them. So I thought the best method would be to rip every single one of them to my hard drive - so I can watch and find any fight I want.

However, this is proving to be more difficult than I though with vob files, ifo's and all this lark.

Can anyone recommend software that will simply convert a DVD to a single windows media friendly format such as mpeg or avi?

Any help is much appreciated.

2. LeadLeftHook

LeadLeftHook Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Thats a pretty big collection. Why do you want to report each of your DVDS to windows format?

Why not just buy an External USB HD? I have 500GB external HD and put all my videos there.

3. D.Haye-no1-p4p

D.Haye-no1-p4p Active Member Full Member

Jan 10, 2008
    That's what I have...I still want to be able to play them.

4. StWerburghs

StWerburghs Active Member Full Member

Mar 11, 2006

I think you can use ratdvd to compress dvds into a format called ratdvd which works on windows media player.
    But not sure if that is the best software.

You can download it for free at filehippo.com
    you will definately find something suitable there for your purposes

5. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Rip them to .divx or .avi (the codecs virtually the same). Then they will be compressed and about a quarter of the orginal size. .vob files are dvd chapters that can be burnt straight to DVD but there uncompressed and very large. Try tools like superdvd ripper or wincopy DVD. Theres literally tons of DVD ripping tools out there just google them. The only difficulty you will come across are those with CSS encryption but thats relatively easy to circumvent providing you have the right tools.

P.S This is in the wrong forum no?

6. safe_pa

safe_pa Howlin' Mad Full Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Google DVD decrypter and auto gk. But Remember kids video piracy is a crime ;)