Beterbiev vs Bivol: Competitive or One-Sided?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Flo_Raiden, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Redbeard7

Redbeard7 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2022
    The Beterbiev that hypothetically faces Bivol will have two more fights worth of wear (and at least one more war, if not two) than he had going in against Yarde and he'll be a year older. So age, wear and the weight cut will all be greater problems than they are now.

All things considered Beterbiev's performance was good but I don't think what we saw from him yesterday would be enough to beat Bivol. His best career win and performance was retiring prime Gvozdyk and that was 3+ years ago now, and it will be 4 years ago before too long.

Beterbiev should be thinking about retirement. If he lost to Bivol it would hurt his legacy, along with the unnecessary late career damage. He beat Usyk, Hunter, Dorticos and Kovalev x2 in the amateurs and has the best LHW win in a very long time, he's got nothing to prove.

2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    No way did Beterbiev win that fight v Usyk, I watched it and he clearly got out-boxed.

3. Redbeard7

Redbeard7 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2022
    Opinions are like ar*eholes as they say. Beterbiev got the decision in the 4 rounder and the other two fights were wars, with Beterbiev also dropping Usyk in the 2nd fight. Usyk said that Beterbiev was his toughest opponent in the amateurs for a reason.

4. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Any thoughts now? Can Beterbiev run through Bivol or will Bivol hold his ground and tame him? This is really a 50/50 fight, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the fight itself ends up becoming like Crawford vs Spence.

5. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    When have we ever seen Beterbiev outboxed? He might lose a round, possibly even 2 in a row, but even then the rounds are still always very competitive and he never looks like he isn't in control of the fight, has lost control of it, isn't on even footing, or in any danger of being outboxed.

Gvozdyk is a highly skilled boxer puncher and he gave him his toughest fight and outboxed him in some of the rounds but it was still nip and tuck all the way. Can Bivol win more than 2 rounds in a row against Artur? His skills are such that he dominated Clenelo without barely needing to move out of second gear but I don't see him being able to come close to doing that against Artur.

6. MetalLicker

MetalLicker Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 10, 2011
    The beauty of this matchup is that they can potentially be each other's kryptonite.

Bivol has the skills to outbox Beterbiev and Beterviev has the power and style to knock Bivol out.

This is a one of the most intriguing matchups in a long time, and that's why it needs to happen.

gollumsluvslave and Wizbit1013 like this.
  7. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Competitive.

I like this match up and I'm a big fan of both styles. Really excited for it.. this is what boxing is about.

Two contrasting styles, both effective.. both strengths and weaknesses.. at the top of their game. May the best man win, I won't back either... just whoever is best man on night.

Though I may edge Beterbiev based on a stronger resume, and plenty of evidence in stopping tough guys. It would be upto Bivol to do an Usyk vs Joshua style job.

8. No_name_tard

No_name_tard Active Member Full Member

Nov 13, 2023
    Compubox, Ward and myself all had Beterbiev ahead by a round or 2 (atleast) going into the final round against Gvozdyk. I can't see how the judges had Gvozdyk ahead. He did well in some rounds but was clearly still ceding them to Artur.

Serge likes this.
  9. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    From what I recall of it, it was nip and tuck, one would win a round, the other would win the next, or at worst one would win two rounds, the other would win the next, but then Beterbiev's pressure and power started to take a toll on Gvozdyk in the last couple of rounds and Beterbiev was obviously able to secure the stoppage.

10. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I see it going the same way Beterbiev vs gvozdyk with Bivol throwing a lot but eventually Beterbiev breaking him down and stopping him late.

I’d be surprised if the fight happens this year. Bivol didn’t exactly looked interested when they met face to face recently and would prefer to give canelo a rematch plus it’s probably a bigger payday than fighting Beterbiev.

Also Bob Arum after the fight against smith ‘Bivol next hopefully but will be 3 months after April’ ??? So in august when then normally isn’t any boxing. Can’t see it myself

11. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Also what’s happening with gvozdyk? Great win against bolotniks not long ago

12. Mickc

Mickc Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Bivol is a wonderful boxer but his lack of power costs him this fight with Beterbiev, Beterbiev has the power and presence no doubt and his iq and ring craft is very deceptive as well as him being very good at manipulating opponents, I just can’t see Beterbiev allowing Bivol to stay on the outside and try to box his way to a win. Beterbiev will be on Bivol from the first bell looking for the stoppage .

13. bluebird

bluebird Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Beterbiev stops him in 7-12