Beterbiev vs prime GGG

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by DeadZen, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Presenting-Fight-Film

Presenting-Fight-Film Active Member Full Member

Apr 18, 2022
    Canelo won a belt at 175 and 168

CleneloAnavarez likes this.
  2. vargasfan1985

vargasfan1985 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Clown thread

3. vargasfan1985

Mar 8, 2008
    Apples to oranges. Clenelo felt he was the best at 175 until Daddy Bivol welcomed him with an L.

UniversalPart likes this.
  4. vargasfan1985

Mar 8, 2008
    Clenelo is golfing and not training.

5. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    I didn't want to start a thread for this so I'll just ask this here.

In your opinions, is Bievs demolition of Joe Smith a more impressive display of power (not necessarily ranking higher legacy wise, simply more impressive) than anything Golovkin did? P4p of course.

How would you rank their top combined feats of power?

6. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Uh because Canelo moved up to LHW and wanted all the smoke there

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  7. Reg

Reg Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    I've been on the beterbiev hypetrain for years and I was on GGGS as well. Ill call it like I see it which hasnt changed a bit in the past 5 years or so. Beterbiev is up there with the most powerful punchers in history. GGG has great power but its not on that ATG level. Before GGG fought Jacobs I made the claim that Lemieux was the harder puncher, just lacked any real skill. I rated Jacobs, GGG, and Stevens to having similar power. Overall I think GGG is better than Beterbiev but Beterbievs boxing shouldn't be overlooked. Golovkins power mesmerised the casuals into overlooking his overall ability but his ATG jab and chin is hard to miss for most followers of the sport. However in the case of Beterbiev his boxing, footwork. Chin, and stamina arent quite to par with GGGs. This combined with Beterbievs elite power may cause a lot of hardcore fans to overlook Beterbievs overall quality as a fighter.

Wilder, Adonis Stevenson, Lemieux, Beterbiev, Tank, Inoue, and W. Klitschko are the biggest punchers of the last decade. GGG and Kovalev have great power but dont stand out above the rest purely in that department for me.

mirexxa and kirk like this.
  8. ArtBoxer

ArtBoxer Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2022
    GGG hits as hard if not harder
    Beterbiev was dropped
    Size-wise the difference won't be as big as you might think

9. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Beterbiev is a bigger puncher p4p than Golvokin. GGG was never a great puncher just a good puncher.

Beterbiev is also a LHW. So hes in a punchers weight class. The man is a natural 195 pounds. Who breaks down to 175. He doesnt even bulk to reach about 200 pounds. That's just his natural weight and hes less than 6ft tall. Hes built for power.

kirk likes this.
  10. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Golovkin has more skill and is higher ranked on the P4P list, and rightfully so.

However everyone and every BODY has a physical limit and Beterbiev would be difficult for most LHWs in history to overcome, let alone a career MW like Golovkin.

mirexxa likes this.
  11. KiwiMan

KiwiMan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2016
    I would say yes. Everyone who fights Beterbiev is immediately thrown into deep waters by his power, and I haven't forgotten how Usyk found his power troublesome in the ams.

Golovkin does the same for most MWs, but he found a few who could take it and force him to box: Canelo, Jacobs, and Derevyanchenko. I know power plays a greater role in the higher weights, but it still seems to me that Beterbiev's power is more exceptional.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    UniversalPart and box33 like this.