Better All-Around Fighter: Primo Carnera or Riddick Bowe?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mrkoolkevin, Apr 23, 2017.

Who was the better all-around fighter, Primo Carnera or Riddick Bowe?

1. Primo Carnera

2. Riddick Bowe

3. They were equally good all-around fighters

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    No worries, and thank you for the compliment.

I will say this: Sometimes, people interpret film evidence differently. This doesn't mean that people are lying. Sometimes they just see the same evidence a different way. Sometimes they don't understand what they're looking at. Sometimes they're just wrong.

I'm sure people do occasionally lie about boxing, but I think honest mistakes or disagreements are much more likely.

moneytheman12 likes this.
  2. moneytheman12

moneytheman12 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 4, 2021
    it is no way to take watching a old vid then saying how the camera makes them fight in slow motion when the motion is not slow even if the motion was slow people can still speed up a vid and see the person fighting slow

or saying how a person who fought slow wasnt slow when it's on vid showing they did these are lies to debate still I have been known that for awile now it's a known troll move that's been done for years

3. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    Well, let me give you an example:

You and I seem to disagree about how much power Foreman looks like he has on film. I don't think either of us are lying, even though we are watching the same film.

4. moneytheman12

Feb 4, 2021
    I didnt disagree on his power I have always said it was overrated his power is always talked up of which was never shown on vid I think you did argee to that to

5. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    I am undecided about his power. At times it looks incredible on film. He sent Moorer to sleep by tapping the guy. Launched Frazier with his uppercuts. But there are other times where Foreman looks sloppy.

The punches are slow and sometimes look weak, but as soon as they hit, they very clearly do tons of damage anyway.

This is what I mean when I say you can see the film and interpret it two different ways. I'm just one person, and I could see a case made for both sides.

6. moneytheman12

Feb 4, 2021
    the old George tech was good we argeed on that and that he was had a better jab which was good

he never did drop a person with a good timed shot like he did Moorer when he was young

im like that to I look at the young George and his tech was trash but he hit hard
    threw mutiple shots wasted alot

old george less wasting of shots
    heavier in weight usally adds to hitting power
    better tech

lots of people will say he hit harder when young did he or was it just cause his punch output was way higher

I like the old George cause of better tech and other flaws he fixed

I never been impressed by young George

7. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    So has anyone changed their opinions since 2017 when this monumental thread started?

8. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I recon the recent primo renaissance would even things up somewhat. However, Even back then, If you take out the Alts the result would have been closer to 50-50 anyway.

9. Melankomas

Melankomas Prime Jeffries would demolish a grizzly in 2 Full Member

Dec 18, 2022
    I will never understand how this thread has nearly 2,000 replies when the answer is so obvious. Bowe outclasses Carnera in the skill department, not to hate on Primo

Bukkake, Bokaj, cross_trainer and 3 others like this.
  10. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    This was a funny thread TBH.

Bokaj and cross_trainer like this.
  11. DS Phil Hunter

DS Phil Hunter Active Member Full Member

Jun 11, 2022
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/slamwrestling.net/index.php/2006/10/26/the-strange-case-of-carnera/amp/

This was the most interesting article on Primo Carnera I have read. According to Boxing News he died of a liver and psorasis disease induced by alcoholism not much more information on that but I would be like to know if anyone else knows anymore details about that?

Riddick Bowe's amateur background edges a win for me he won the New York Golden Gloves if recall correctly? Primo Carnera had a lot of heart though.

Journeyman92 likes this.
  12. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    I’ve had a few more accounts since then, I will stick with my guns on this and add another vote to Carnera. We are climbing the poles!

cross_trainer likes this.
  13. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    Carnera once lost to an African POW via 1st round KO …but he did spar a Kangroo…

DS Phil Hunter likes this.
  14. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    Thread closed you heathens

cross_trainer likes this.
  15. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Active Member Full Member

Aug 10, 2023
    Why?