Better All-Around Fighter: Primo Carnera or Riddick Bowe?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mrkoolkevin, Apr 23, 2017.

Who was the better all-around fighter, Primo Carnera or Riddick Bowe?

1. Primo Carnera

2. Riddick Bowe

3. They were equally good all-around fighters

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    The underlined is just supposition not supported by facts. Hide was floored 7 times in 6 rounds!
    BTW Hide was 6'2" and 214lbs, 4.5lbs more than Baer was when he dropped Carnera 11 times! Bowe looked pretty good against Holyfield, a "shorter ,faster man." Evander would crucify Carnera and so would Hide!

This content is protected

Carnera v Impelletiere.
    This content is protected

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Contro likes this.
  2. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Evander makes Carnera look like a circus act !

Contro likes this.
  3. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Carnera ,when he is against punchers not wearing the cuffs, reminds me of an Elephant in the ring, dutifully going through his act for his trainer ,its as though he is boxing by numbers.I think it is a very shameful episode in boxing, a very brave man being exploited by blood sucking parasites. It's pleasant to know he made money wrestling ,because he sure didn't get much out of boxing aside from a lot of pain and bruises.

Contro likes this.
  4. Birmingham

Jan 13, 2017
    was he bullied by gangsters/mafia ?

5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    He was owned by them." I wanted to get out but they had me by the throat."

6. Birmingham

Jan 13, 2017
    sad man. Big friendly giant. Not a fighter

Contro likes this.
  7. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Hide was great at dishing it out but could not hold any kind of punch at elite level. Max Baer took a better punch than hide and was much bigger than him too. Hide was only ever masquerading as a heavyweight but he never really was one. at the end of his career, when traditionally a fighter weighs more than in his prime, little herbie was a cruiser.

No matter how many times Hide was decked by Bowe, in a fight I only used as an example for Bowes blundering oafishness, Bowe, against a small man, looked as awkward as Carnera ever did.

Bowe was better than Hide made him look. Just as primo was better than he looked too.

Did you notice Bowe throwing himself over as he missed with a hook and landing in a giant heap?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I noticed Hide butting Bowe and falling to the floor without being hit.

9. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Yes I saw that too. When a 30lb lighter opponent who went over without getting hit still made Riddick look like a blundering Oaf it goes without saying that there's a chance any fighter so small and awkward would make any SHW look like a blundering oaf.

10. ticar

ticar Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Hide was very very fast and explosive, fast twitch sprinter muscles, he could have made almost everyone slow... I don't think Carnera could follow him with eyes, let alone with feet and hands

mcvey likes this.
  11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    That's if he did indeed make him look like a blundering oaf and I don't think he did ,he confused him with his speed for a couple of rounds then the fight rapidly became non competitive.

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Exactly! Carnera looked the same no matter the size of his opponent!

Contro likes this.
  13. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    15 pages and we're still debating on which of these two are the better all around fighter. Maybe I'll start a thread asking the same question of Mike Jameson and Muhammad Ali and see if that one goes any longer.

Contro likes this.
  14. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I'm still stunned that Bowe only got 83% of the vote (a bit more if we count the non-voters who weighed in during the thread).

15. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Some of the attacks on Primo Carnera almost seem to be ideological in nature.

He is a big heavyweight of the past, who lost to some smaller heavyweights, and that makes him a target for the advocates of modern fighters.

reznick and choklab like this.