Better Chin: Anthony Joshua or Lennox Lewis

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Thunderstorm, Feb 6, 2022.

Better Chin

1. Joshua

14 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. Lewis

92 vote(s)
    86.8%
  1. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Why do you think they hit harder than Wlad?

JunlongXiFan likes this.
  2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I`m not sure they did, I just don`t think Wlad hit harder, all three were good punchers.

3. Bigcheese

Bigcheese Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Wlad most definitely hit harder than Rahman and McCall. Not to say the punches he hit AJ with were harder, who's to say. Lewis has the better chin BTW.

JunlongXiFan likes this.
  4. Rico Spadafora

Rico Spadafora Master of Chins Full Member

Feb 20, 2008
    This.

5. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    Their chins are similar. Joshua might actually be a bit more durable. Lewis wouldn’t have gotten up if he took that right hand from Wlad.

What sets them apart is Lewis’ defense and survival skills were far superior. If Joshua had gotten hurt like Lewis was against Briggs early in the fight I’m not sure he would’ve survived the round.

6. Quina74

Quina74 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Past it Tyson and Tucker. Fat out of shaped Tua (who was limited to begin with). You can argue a case for Mercer beating Lewis. Bruno was winning against Lewis until he threw some of the most stupid ass punches I've ever seen and Lewis capitalised on it.

One win and one very competitive fight against ancient 37 yo Holyfield.

Rahman and McCall, guys I would barely consider B level KOd him before he got a second try.

Let's not make out Lewis' resume is good. How in the world is the above not clear as day context??

7. Austinboxing

Austinboxing British Boxing fan Full Member

Jul 8, 2021
    Is this even a question? Lennox took punches from some of the best punchers in the history of the sport. AJ on the other hand got knocked down by a 38 year old klitchsko, he got knocked out by a 6,2 overweight no body. And got seriously hurt and wobbled by a cruiser weight feather duster. I respect AJ but his chin is no wear near that of Lewis’s.

8. JunlongXiFan

JunlongXiFan Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 9, 2020
    My takes:
    37 year old Holyfield: He had lost a step or two. Joshua probably gets it. Could go either way but I favor Joshua 65/100 times
    2002 Mike Tyson: (I think 36, but a couple years after that he was losing to journeymen). Joshua KOs violently 100/100 times.
    Tua: AJ would probably beat Tua if he fought reasonably, but could be a Tua win. Joshua 8/10 times
    Ray Mercer: AJ gets a UD, I don't see him losing. Joshua 100/100 times
    Frank Bruno: Bruno lost to the guys to the people people remember at least as much as he won. Joshua 100/100 times.
    Tony Tucker: It's hard to say exactly how good he was at his best. He has no height disadvantage and went the distance against Mike Tyson at Tyson's best. That said, he didn't push himself in fights as much as he could, and seemed very hesitant (even a little afraid?) at times. Not good against Joshua. Joshua 70/100 times.
    Hasim Rahman: This guy had an awful chin, or at least he didn't particularly feel like fighting Maskaev. (2000s Pulev). Post Ruiz he gets in 95/100 times. Pre Ruiz he gets it 75/100 times.
    Oliver McCall: McCall had a weird career. At his best he was almost brilliant. But Joshua is almost brilliant, too, and a lot better of an athlete. Joshua 70/100
    Vitali: I genuinely can't answer this one. I'd probably favor Vitali, though. Vitali is the ultimate "resume does not determine skill" argument ace.

I think Joshua would probably take 2-3 losses if he fought everybody on this list.

9. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Hard to say. They both had/have underrated chins. Lennox fought a ton of the who's who of punchers in the 90s and only got stopped twice. Joshua's fought most of the best fighters in this generation and only got stopped once so he's clearly doing something right. Lennox had the superior recuperation powers, I think that's clear though.

ikrasevic likes this.
  10. Mickc

Mickc Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Lewis had the better chin and also fought in a much better era than Joshua,then you have to add to the fact the big elephant in the room that Lewis would travel and could fight in the USA no problem,where as Joshua !

Sinew likes this.
  11. ikrasevic

ikrasevic For the honorable cross and the golden freedom Full Member

Nov 3, 2021
    The question is: who wouldn't fall from such a punch to Hasim Rahman?
    Calling AJ a bodybuilder is disrespectful; he deserves more than that. I certainly wouldn't place on Mr. Universe, and to Mr. Olympia.
    Better chin Lewis.

Sinew and Moonlight like this.
  12. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Wlad was an extremely hard hitter by all accounts.

TipNom and JunlongXiFan like this.
  13. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    McCall was awful.

14. BigBone

BigBone Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 20, 2007
    /thread

15. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011