Better Chin: Mike Weaver or Corrie Sanders?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by KeedCubano, Jan 18, 2020.

???

1. Weaver

33.3%
  2. Sanders

66.7%
  1. KeedCubano

KeedCubano Read my posts in a Jamaican accent Full Member

Jul 21, 2019
  2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
  3. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I'm sticking with Weaver on this. A rare sight.

Richard M Murrieta and Reinhardt like this.
  4. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Going with the colonel.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  5. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Sanders' feats of chin:

Taking 3 rounds of sheer punishment against Vitali Klitschko, who we know was a damaging volume puncher, whilst gassed.
    Took HUGE punches off Rahman, who could BANG, before breaking.

Nate Tubbs KO2
    Whilst green.

Rahman TKO7
    Whilst prime.

Vitali TKO8
    Osborn Machimana KO1
    Whilst shot or past prime.

Weaver's:

Howard Smith KO3
    Billy Ryan TKO2
    Larry Frazier KO2
    Duane Bobick TKO7

Larry Holmes TKO11
    Micheal Dokes TKO1
    Pinklon Thomas TKO8
    James Smith TKO1

All whilst prime...
    He did also go the distance with Dokes and Smith in rematches however, as well as going 10 with Rudduck.

Johnny Du Plooy KO2
    Lennox Lewis KO6
    Larry Holmes TKO6

All whilst past prime to completely shot

6. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Sanders id say.

7. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007

I don’t think Weaver was prime anymore by the time of the first Dokes meeting. He had been off for most of the previous two years nursing injuries and was now in his thirties. After both Dokes meetings he never did much of significance again accept beat Carl Williams who was overly prone to getting hurt with left hooks

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  8. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    You've missed some of (or at least one and probably the best) Weaver's notable feats of chin by not mentioning wins. His chin was excellent against Gerrie Coetzee as he shook off numerous right hand bombs on his way to a KO. Even against John Tate, a decent if not great puncher Weaver shook off plenty.

Weaver didn't take boxing seriously early on and didn't barely train until Ken Norton gave him some motivation. The early career stoppages all came prior to him upping his mentality, fitness and dedication. He hit the gym about once a week and if he ran he didn't train and vice versa. He changed all this around 1976 and Weaver showed a decent chin from then on until Pinklon Thomas.

The thing we have to take into account later is this - how much did the Tony Anthony dog shot affect Weaver? Weaver was dropped heavily at the end of the first round while walking back to his corner. Maybe it affected him maybe it didn't but it's certainly there.

Weaver's next fight was for the title against Pink Thomas and i thought it was clear he'd become pretty fragile. Even Carl Williams shook him early in his next bout.

i'm not saying Weaver has more than Sanders but just throwing out a bit of info on Weaver.

9. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

In a head to head matchup, both presumably at their best ,,I'd take Weaver, not confidently though

10. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Sanders was above having good power, he was a sniper with that left, a true killer punch on him

11. MMAMIKE

MMAMIKE Member banned Full Member

May 15, 2020
    weaver ko sanders 7

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  12. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    I am a big Weaver fan, but don't care for Sanders much, so that kind of clouds my judgment, but I think both had fair chins, but they certainly weren't amazing. I am tempted to lean toward Weaver tho. Nice pro Sanders list Crowcroft. I noticed you didn't mention that Weaver got of the floor against Mercado, a big puncher, to win by knockout. Of course, Tate and Coetzee hit on him round after round, and barely moved him. Weaver and Dokes II saw a lot of tough rounds, and Weaver fought with a headbutt late in the fight. Weaver also gave a good account of himself vs. Pinklon Thomas. He was floored in Round 1, cut on one eye in Round 2, and thumbed in the other. He came back to outjab the jabber and slug with Thomas toe-to-toe, it was no disgrace for him to lose in the eighth. Weaver also took many unanswered punches from Truth in round 2 before lashing out with that WICKED left. I must concede tho, that I would not really have a favorite in this fight.

13. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Mike Weaver has the better chin here, he fought a prime Larry Holmes and withstood bombs by Gerrie Coetzee, before kayoing him in round 13, on Oct 25 1980, in a WBA Title defense. He also withstood a boxing lesson from defending WBA Champion, Big John Tate, kayoing John in round 15, to win the title.