Better jab?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by King Alibaba, Jan 26, 2018.

1. King Alibaba

King Alibaba New Member Full Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Whats the best way to help build power in your jab.

2. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Full Member

May 18, 2013
    Why do you need more power in your jab? Isn't a jab more of a punch that set up other power punches?

But, to add some power to the jab you could, either time your opponent moving in, or jump in yourself when letting the jab go. Using your own or your opponents bodyweight in the punch.

My two cents

Giacomino and oldcanvasback like this.
  3. Giacomino

Giacomino Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I'd agree with the poster below - to an extent - that the jab is about much else besides power. But there is something to be said for a crunching power in the jab. How are you throwing it currently? Try to describe the mechanics of how you throw it, and let's see if we can suggest modifications. The more detailed you can be, the better advice we can give.

joe brown likes this.
  4. King Alibaba

King Alibaba New Member Full Member

Jan 1, 2018
    throwing it in snap motion

5. Giacomino

Oct 15, 2016
    Ok, that's good - but what does that mean to you? 'Snap' is an elusive concept that seems to mean different - valid - things to different people.

If you mean 'snapping' your fist back from the target (after making solid contact), I'd say you're on the right track. The goal should be to minimize the time spent in actual contact with the target - but without skimping on force of the impact. Sounds contradictory, right? Imagine you touch a boiling hot surface. That's the kind of speed you want to recoil with.

Speed is the essential ingredient. I'd say that, and also to 'throw' your weight from the back foot and catch it with the right.

As I say, though, if you can describe how you're jabbing now in detail you'll get more useful feedback.

Bax183 and oldcanvasback like this.
  6. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Full Member

May 18, 2013
    Stand more square to the opponent with your feet and shoulders if you want more power in your left (if orthodox). But you'll loose the speed in it and sacrifice power from your right.

7. YearZero

YearZero Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Lift weights to get your left arm as strong as your right arm

8. Caimán

Caimán Member Full Member

Feb 1, 2015
    - Full extention of your arm.
    - Twist your hips a little.
    - Pivot a little in your front feet.
    - Start by feinting a punch from your right, so you can throw your jab with your entire body as you come back to your stance.
    - Square your legs.

oldcanvasback likes this.
  9. oldcanvasback

oldcanvasback Active Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2018
    I reckon the best jab is an accurate one. Have a look at Winky Right. He times his opponent so well and it lands so often.

Bax183 and Giacomino like this.
  10. JagOfTroy

JagOfTroy Jag Full Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Not everyone is going to or meant to have a heavy jab.

oldcanvasback likes this.
  11. Giacomino

Oct 15, 2016
    I think that's very good advice - particularly because you also point out that the cost outweighs the benefit.

(To the OP) It's a good move now and again to switch up with the squarer(?) stance and go in heavy with the left - but 99% of the time one should stay narrow and jab fast and straight. The arrow, not the cannonball. You might be surprised with the force a rapid jab, thrown with good technique, can carry.

12. Giacomino

Oct 15, 2016
    Indeed. Personally, I do have the mixed blessing of a very hard jab. But would I swap 20% of the power for 20% more speed if I could? Absolutely!

13. rodney

rodney Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Push off your back foot.

14. Yuri Costa

Yuri Costa New Member Full Member

Mar 31, 2018
    man this is a worst thing he can do, has a relationship with physics, if the spin is the front, a centripetal force, watch the video a little put in the 4:00 minute he speaks ''when you do the turn with the front leg you are making two mistakes the one is that you are throwing your body back and the second is that you are causing the force of your blow to go off on the tangent.''

This content is protected