Better Resume JCC or PBF

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by quintonjacksonfan, Jun 26, 2007.

1. quintonjacksonfan

quintonjacksonfan Active Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
  2. Danny Ocean

Danny Ocean My nAmE IS MoNeY Full Member

Jun 19, 2007
    chavez had 3 times more fights than pbf

stupid question

The Morlocks likes this.
  3. FlatNose

FlatNose Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 16, 2006
    I remember Greg Haugens remark about Chavez's record being padded with "Tijuana Cab Drivers".Of course Julio got Greg in the ring and plastered him, but it was still a funny remark that also had a ring of truth to it.Still, on the championship level Julio still beat more beltholdersthan did Mayweather , including knocking the stuffing out of Uncle Rodger, and guys like Meldrick Taylor and Edwin Rosario, just to name a few.Julio put it on the line much more than Mayweather does, with a lot less natural talent.

4. Marnoff

Marnoff Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 14, 2006
    We'll see when Floyd's career is over. He still could rack up some monster wins.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  5. Jose FM

Jose FM Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2007
    PBF's only HOF fighter on his resume is DLH, so no hes resume sucks...

6. Pat_Lowe

Pat_Lowe Active Member Full Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Well if you really want to get into it, Chavez lost to almost all of the HOF fighters he versed.

But Chavez has the better resume at the moment, he lacked a real ATG on his record but he beat so many good-very good fighters that it more than makes up for it. His best win over Meldrick Taylor is a great one, Taylor was an olympic gold medalist and very talented, but due to fighting Chavez (and other factors) we never quite got to see what he could've become. Add in wins over Ramirez, Rosario, R.Mayweather, Castillo, Lockridge, LaPorte, Camacho and Martinez and it surpasses Mayweather.

Mayweathers best wins are over De La Hoya, Corrales, Castillo, Chavez, G.Hernandez, C.Hernandez, Gatti and Judah. I just can't see how this equals Chavez. If Mayweather goes about adding Hatton, Cotto and Mosley to his win column, then I would definently reconsider their resumes.

Also another factor is that its likely Chavez would win head to head. I know that just because fighter A struggled with fighter B, doesn't mean fighter C would beat A. But Mayweather did have alot of difficulty with Castillo and Chavez was quite a few notches above Castillo. His defence is better, he cuts the ring off better, his offence is better, he is generally a superior greater version of Castillo. Thats why I see Mayweather struggling (And losing) to Chavez. If Mayweather gets trapped on the ropes against Chavez he is going to be in a world of trouble.

7. jyuza

jyuza Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Chavez obviously. Fought much more quality opponents and he fought a lot of them in their prime.
    He also, fought way beyond his best days against the best like Tszyu and De La Hoya.

I can't even mention PBF in the same thread as Chavez. Oups I just did :patsch

8. RAMPAGE0017

RAMPAGE0017 Well-Known Member Full Member

May 30, 2007
    As time goes on, Chavez is always going to be remembered as a true ATG, a warrior, and a folk-hero to his country. If Floyd were to retire at this very moment, with his current undefeated status, I think he'll just be remembered as someone who was a good fighter for his time and place. I don't think he'll be remembered for any real memorable performance, but more or less.. just a by-the-books fighter with a glossy, undefeated record.

9. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006
    Definitely, Chavez (though to his date he's took part in way more fights). Mayweather Jr definintely needs more HOF wins on his resume to be considered in the same bracket.

To this date PBF is a very good fighter, Chavez was a true great.

10. Asterion

Asterion Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2005

That doesn't make it automatically better.

But I also think Chavez' resume is better, just not because of the same reason as you. :yep

11. jyuza

jyuza Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2005
    So what is your reason ? :D

12. Asterion

Asterion Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2005
    The quality of fighters that JCC faced is superior. In 38 fights Mayweather has done a lot though. If he beats Mosley, Cotto or Hatton and Williams/Margarito winner...then I would reconsider.

13. Sizzle

Sizzle Active Member Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    So you guys actually give Chavez the Taylor win? :?
    In my mind Taylor won that fight. I think the ref made an awful decision, not a sinister one, but an inept one.

Obviously Chavez has the better resume - But you could perhaps argue that Floyd has the better "density" of competition, most of his 38 fights are title fights against ranked opponents, Chavez's has a fair bit of filler - Although this is kind of beside the point ;)

14. RAMPAGE0017

RAMPAGE0017 Well-Known Member Full Member

May 30, 2007

Chavez' win over Taylor was an absolutely fair decision. Richard Steele can't just throw a fighter back to the dogs if he is non-responsive. And I always hear people say how " the two seconds belonged to Taylor " but didn't they belong to Chavez just as much? Chavez deserved those two seconds to try and win the fight just as much as Taylor did.

15. heerko koois

heerko koois Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Chavez .............10 times more courage than Mayweather......