Better win: Donaire or Kovalev?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Big Ukrainian, Nov 7, 2019.

Which win is better?

1. Donaire

82.8%
  2. Kovalev

17.2%
  1. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Both 36 y.o., both bigger than their younger opponents, so... which win is better?

2. Jackman65

Jackman65 FJB Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    No comparison. Nonito came to win, not just to collect a check. He looked like he turned back the clock for a while. I’m a huge fan of Donaire and admire him as the warrior he is. Kov was trying to survive and was obviously faded. Also, Donaire went into the Lion’s Den and fought Monster in his backyard. There is no comparison between the fighters or the heart Donaire showed in his fight. This was probably FOTY. The Canelo fight was just mildly entertaining.

3. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Donaire hasn't been hurt or knocked down or knocked out since Walters. And Donaire put in one of the greatest performances of his life. He stepped his game up big time.

OvidsExile, shza, ShovelHook and 7 others like this.
  4. ellerbe

ellerbe It’s a Tank world Full Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Kov. An opponent making it competitive doesn’t raise the stock of the win. I know y’all hate canelo but dude went up 2 weight classes ffs if Inoue went to 126 and best donaire that’s a diff story

5. titanic

titanic Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Donaire earns much more of my respect :campeon:

6. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Donaire hasn't been hurt or knocked down or knocked out since Walters. And Donaire put in one of the greatest performances of his life. He stepped his game up big time.

Kovalev was almost knocked out in his last fight and had only 3 weeks rest and a rehydration clause that clearly took away his the little punch resistance he had left.

OvidsExile, ShovelHook, pacas and 4 others like this.
  7. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    You kidding? Donaire by FAR.

shoe, elbonzoseco, CST80 and 11 others like this.
  8. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I believe they were both solid wins. Beyond that, I believe that Canelo and Donaire both deserve a lot of credit for their efforts, and I likewise applaud the efforts from Kovalev and Donaire.

In a very real sense, Kovalev and Donaire were both drawn into wars of attrition they ultimately couldn't cope with, but not for lack of trying.

KO KIDD, drenlou and Pimp C like this.
  9. theanatolian

theanatolian Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 2, 2015
    Donaire is definetly a better p4p fighter than Kovalev at this point, but there's also the factor of Canelo having never fought at 175 before, so not sure.

10. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Donaire. Who else would've beat him today, around this weight? You couldn't pick anyone solidly. He is also the greater fighter in an All Time sense.

OvidsExile and pincai like this.
  11. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Donaire is CLEARLY the better "older" fighter. More durable, better conditioned, performs better against elite opponents. Donaire wouldn't struggle and nearly get taken out by someone like Yarde. Not now, not ever.

12. Stiff Jab

Stiff Jab Despiser of Super-Middleweights Full Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Donaire and anyone who argues otherwise is clearly either a troll or a Canelo stan that is BIG MAD their favorite cheating ginger got upstaged huge.

13. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Canelo moved up 2 divisions to fight Kovalev. Donaire recently went back down 1 division to fight Inoue. Canelo stalked and KO'd Kovalev. Inoue went to war and decisioned Donaire comfortably. Donaire is the much greater historical fighter than Kovalev, no question about that.

It wasn't very long ago that Donaire lost to Magdaleno and Frampton within a year. He was viewed by everyone as much more faded than Kovalev and for much longer, too.

Don't get too caught up in the moment. Kovalev win is better.

drenlou, Richmondpete, Pimp C and 3 others like this.
  14. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    You make some good points. It was a great fight. I still think Donaire win was better, but yeah its close either way.

Pimp C likes this.
  15. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    thanks for being reasonable.
    inoue fight was much better, but that was because of nonito, kovalev did not lend himself for the same dramatic moments, but canelo had the tougher assignment pre fight.

Pimp C likes this.