Better win: Donaire or Kovalev?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Big Ukrainian, Nov 7, 2019.

Which win is better?

1. Donaire

82.8%
  2. Kovalev

17.2%
  1. mirkofilipovic

mirkofilipovic ESB Management Full Member

Jan 7, 2014
    no. You shut up!

Pakkuman and OvidsExile like this.
  2. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    There's hardly that much of a difference between the two wins. Donaire being gifted a win against a guy who suffered a career ending injury is not better than Kovalev over turning the Alverez loss in dominating fashion.

Beating non-ranker Young with a 30% stoppage rate isn't better than beating top 10 ranked and unbeaten Yarde who had a 95% stoppage rate.

That's 2-0 to Kovalev.

drenlou likes this.
  3. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Nonito "Performance for the Ages" Donaire > Shotgey Vodkalev with 3 Weeks Rest + Rehydration Clause

OvidsExile likes this.
  4. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Okay, enough with the childish partisan idiotic bickering. There's a clear cut answer here, and anyone of you who disagree with me are delusional, agenda driven, intellectually dishonest haters or flat out lunatics.

The answer is quite obvious and definitive. Nonito Donaire.

Why? Because CONTEXT MATTERS.... you mother****ers.:mad:

Kovalev's last two performances, while decent, any and all traces of the actual Krusher was long since gone. Years of hard living and half-assed training camps finally caught up to him in the first Eleider Alvarez match. Buddy McGirt did a fine job accentuating the positive and eliminating the negative, but that strategy could only take him so far. His power while not completely gone, with two stoppage losses due to going all out and gassing in the back of his mind, it made the Krusher timid and afraid to over commit. Kovalev himself said if there was a division between 175 and 200, he'd fight there, because he was having a hard time making 175. His life was spiraling out of control, he has a court case he has to deal with, so merely the honor of being given a match against a P4P king and 12 Million in the process, meant so much to Kovalev, he was smiling from ear to ear like the Cheshire Cat throughout the entire run up. He was just happy to be there, he didn't care what happened, he was getting his retirement bonus.

Yes, the wins over Eleider in the rematch was solid, as was his win over Yarde. However, hardly a punch was thrown in spite either time. Eleider showed up looking to land another big right, and Kovalev's entire gameplan was predicated on avoiding letting him land it and it worked. Yarde while heavy handed, was a novice and not all that skilled and when he finally decided to go all out, most of the pop had left his punches and he gassed out. Kovalev fought scared both times and with good reason, his punch resistance at this point is non-existent as evidenced by the fact that Yarde, a glorified body builder nearly took him out. And let's be honest, an abbreviated training camp for an old frail fighter whose heart isn't in it any more, coming off of a match which was grueling at times and in all likelihood a concussion, it's questionable if this match should have even been sanctioned at all. Especially so soon.

His performance against Canelo was tepid at best, shameful at worse, he showed up looking to pick and peck his way to a SD loss, never threw a shot in anger or with any spite behind it. His effort was abominable coming out of the bigger man. He was two divisions north of this little ginger runt, but never fought like it, and the precise reason for that was.... he was so shot he knew he'd probably gas horribly and get KTFO even earlier if he actually tried.

Donaire.... while not close to prime, his move north didn't bear much fruit, he was the smaller man and his power was somewhat diminished. And even then he managed to badly rock and hurt everyone he shared the ring with, including Frampton, Magdaleno and even big ass Walters. Since moving back down in weight he's looked revitalized, sharper, faster, more aggressive, tenacious, healthier, and a more focused beast of a Donaire than we've seen in years and most importantly he's been fighting like he had his love of the sport back and was actually TRYING TO WIN.

Donaire went into that fight looking and wanting to win, giving it his all, sitting down on almost every punch, his timing, reflexes, speed, defense, counters were all sharp as ****. He was a man on a mission and would have beaten every other fighter that shared the ring with him that night/morning. He came in like a man possessed and fought like it.

Sure Donaire was coming off of a few losses, but so was Kovalev, and none of them to Cruiserweights. Donaire was still aside from Rigo, the man at bantamweight and he proved it once again beyond a reasonable doubt, against The Monster Inoue.

Now you'll all say, but Chris, this is just sour grapes, you picked Kovalev to win and he lost, you're butthurt, wah, wah, wah. Yeah, you're right, I did. But not because I thought Kovalev wasn't all of the things I said above. It's because I didn't think Canelo could outbox even the walking corpse of Kovalev. And you know what..... I was right.:lol: He lost 8 ****ing rounds to him and in a fair world, needed that come from behind KO.

Canelo fought a shell of a fighter and lost 8 rounds to him, and no that wasn't by design. He was just as scared of Kovalev as Kovalev was of him.

Inoue went to war with a monster puncher who was looking to take his head off, outslugged him, won the lion's share of the rounds and came damn close to stopping the iron chinned tough as nails former King of the division in a fight of the year candidate. The answer is elementary, and if you can't see that. Go back to elementary school. Because YDKSAB.

5. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I got a feel in the fight that the rounds early meant nothing to Canelo, his game plan wasn't winning rounds, that imo made Kov look even better than what he truly was, which is a shell of a fighter, not even 100% as good as he could be(prep) and that's still a shell. Canelo could've took them rounds that Kov banked if it was a truly competitive fight, but it wasn't, he could afford to fight his fight and take his time.. Kovs way past anymore hard fights, he needs to retire. I could see him losing a retirement fight even, dramatically against anyone !

mirkofilipovic, elbonzoseco and CST80 like this.
  6. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    :ibutt :ibutt :worship2:

CST80 likes this.
  7. Alo2006

Alo2006 R.I.P Sean Taylor Full Member

Jun 28, 2006
  8. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    all things considered, about equal. but canelo showed he is a level above. he was more efficient in taking care of his business, he never allowed himself to be put in real danger. inoue could have possibly been facing a tougher task, relatively speaking, but part of that difficulty is attributed to his deficiencies in technique, something i cant fault canelo for.