Big Daddy's Boxing Log - The making of a legend.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Slacker, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Slacker

Slacker Big & Slow Full Member

Sep 19, 2009
    First workout with the coach.

OK, here is the update after the first day with the coach.

I learned quite a few things.

1. Three minutes can seem like an ETERNITY!

2. I have been stepping off incorrectly when circling around the target... for nine years. lol

3. I have good punches and power, but my footwork sucks.

So, the workout was 6 (3min) rounds of basic footwork, 6 (3min) rounds of alternating DEB & Heavy Bag and 20 situps.

I run 2 -4 miles and do a little boxing, some sit ups and push ups most days....but I never feel worked like I did today.

I've got homework for next week. Looking forward to going back.

2. Slacker

Sep 19, 2009
    Notes on the first workout:

By stepping off and bad footwork, I mean that I have developed a habit of having the heel of my back foot flat on the floor at times, and the coach was all over me to "toe the line". "If you are ready, you are on your toes. If you are tired, get out of the box (taped around the bag)."

So, I spent a lot of time paying attention to my footwork while circling the DEB, which I thought I was passable at. The bag only got me twice in about a three rounds and it was my first time at it. Of course I missed LOTS of jabs and right hands at the bag.. so maybe it was a wash. :)

An example of the exercises we were doing:

1. Working the cross: Step up two inches, back two inches, left two inches, right two inches by pushing with the opposite foot and sliding the other behind. ie: Stepping forward involves pushing from the ball of the right foot, sliding the front foot two inches forward while maintaining balance. Moving back is the opposite. When moving left, push with the right foot and slide the left. Basically, its the opposite of what most would consider "a natural movement".

2. Working on the bags I was doing 1+2, side step, 1, side step, 1. Of course I had to maintain the right heel up, and use the correct footwork as above.

3. Slacker

Sep 19, 2009
    Second workout 3/21:

Another killer day at the gym. :)

I'm tell you, if you are not doing this, you are missing out. I'd still be there if I could be. Its that much fun.

Today was the typical work out: 6 rnds of footwork, 3 rounds on the Heavy, 3 rounds on the speed bag (DEB was broken), sit ups..

Then, the coach pulled out the mitts and we worked on various combos as he moved around. That was something new, and was a blast. I've been practicing combos on stationary targets, and keeping good form and chasing him and forcing him back was something new.

We did these combos:
    1+2+1+1
    2+3+2
    1+2+1
    1+2+3
    8+7+6
    1+3 feint+2

I also learned the 5 punch, the lead upper cut, which I had never practiced (and currently suck at), but am now.

All in all, a great time!

4. Slacker

Sep 19, 2009
    3rd workout 3/28:

2 rnds of the cross (footwork)
    35 situps
    3x3min rnds of random combos on the heavy bag
    4x3min rnds of shadow boxing, worked on regaining balance by "jabbing out of the pocket", worked on circling.

5x3min rnds on the mitts: 6+7+3+2, 1+2+2, 2+3F+2, 1+3+3, 5+3+5 (new combo), 2+3+2+3+2+3+2+3 (walking combos), 5+2+3+1+1

Notes: Learned 5+3+5, worked on jabbing out of the pocket. Jab+balance+turn+jab. Heavy sparring likely in 6 months, possibly amateur fights down the road. Says I am a very fast learner and too bad we didn't start this when I was young b/c I have big power.

Graduated from The Cross today. Also perfected 1+2+2 stepping combo

5. Slacker

Sep 19, 2009
    Skipped a week for Easter. Not listing my work outs at home, only the ones with the coach.

Yesterday we did:

5 rnds of Heavy Bag combos

5 rnds of Shadow Boxing

5 Rounds of DEB

5 Rounds of mitts

Worked on previous combos.

Learned that my right upper is a beast, my heaviest punch.

I think my hook sucks, but the coach laughed and says its very heavy, just not a monster like the 4 punch.

Practiced circling opponent in the ring and forcing to the ropes and letting the hands go.

Learned about the lanes in the ring, how close is too close.

Easiest combo for me now: 1+2+2

Most difficult: Lead upper + 3 + Lead upper

Learned new punch, the overhand right. Differs from the straight because it hooks over/around the opponents jab. Dip your left shoulder, move the weight to the lead leg, hook it up/around, BOOM!

6. Slacker

Sep 19, 2009
    5 rnds of Shadow Boxing

5 rnds of heavy bag

4 rnds of DEB

4 rnds of speed bag

35 situps

No mitts, no new punches.

First workout with hand wraps and 16oz gloves. Coming up from 6 or 8oz glove, these things feel like balloons! Hands look better afterward than usual.

7. Slacker

Sep 19, 2009
    Had my first sparring session yesterday.

Wasn't sure what to expect, but it wound up being a lot of fun. I was glad I had the chance to get in there. But, I was disappointed that in the heat of the moment I made fundamental mistakes.

The guy I was supposed to spar was a no show so I sparred another coach (Larry) and another new guy. Both guys were smaller, faster and in better condition. The other coach is obviously much more skilled than I am.

Larry said he would get in and work with me, but if I hit him hard he would hit me back...he seemed to be half joking. I told him I was looking to just feel it out, and I wouldn't try to blast anyone out of there. Larry is 50 yrs, about 170 and 5'10 and in great condition. I'm 36 yrs, 6ft, 280lbs, overweight but I run about 10 miles a week, do 40 situps & 20 push ups a day. I train on the bags about twice a week. I can do about 20 rounds on the bags and mitts before I'm dead tired, but wasn't sure how I would hold up condition wise sparring.

My coach told me repeatedly to pull my punches. DO NOT unload on Larry. Use the jab, no right hands or hooks, and practice catching his jab. Larry will do the same.

We got in the ring for a 3min rounds and I realized that Larry didn't get the memo about just using the jab. He was popping me with right hand counters over my jab and wiffed a few hooks and body shots at me. I broke the rules and thew a few right hands back, just to keep him from swarming in on me.

Lessons learned from round 1 of my boxing career:
    1. Getting hit sucks.
    2. Don't look down or away when you get hit or you will surely get hit more than once.
    3. Don't count on the the other guy sticking to the "playing nice" and just "working" instead of hard sparring". Things change after you get punched in the head a couple times.

Round 2 I sat out while Larry boxed his new pupil (his first time in the ring also).

Round 3 I boxed the New Guy. He was about 6'1 and 185. It was much more competitive. I tried to pull punches and just land more than I was taking. He got me with a few shots, and when I got tired he landed quite a few in a row. I realized he had my timing down, and I was throwing the 1+2 over and over. I mixed it up and was able to land a wild overhand right that he wasn't expecting and it rearranged his headgear a little. Everyone asked and he said he was OK, so we kept on. By the middle of the round I was sucking wind, TIRED! We were both hacking and wheezing but finished the round. I wasn't sure that I got the better of him, but felt good.

Lessons learned:
    1. Keep moving. The only time you are not getting hit is if you are throwing punches or moving, and I don't have the stamina yet to throw 1000 jabs a round.
    2. Don't throw 1+2's repeatedly unless you want to get countered repeatedly. Mix up the punches.
    3. Fighting someone faster can be demoralizing.

Round 3 everyone sat out and took a breather.

Round 4 I got back in with Larry. He was much more skilled and was toying with me a bit. He also had my timing down and threw a counter right over top of all of my jabs. He was much quicker than I was. I started mixing up my punches and was settling down a little. I landed a couple jabs, a straight right or two and a surprise uppercut. At one point Larry fell into the ropes. He said he slipped but I suspect I was roughing him a little.

Lessons learned:
    1. I am seriously out of shape.

2. Larry is in great shape.

3. An in shape, well trained old guy can kick my ass in the ring if I'm not allowed to try to blast him out of there.

Overall, my coach said that in his 40 years of coaching that I did a fantastic job for a first day. I made some mistakes, but we will work on correcting them before the next sparring session.

The good:
    1. My balance was excellent until about the last minute of the last round, when I was dog ass tired.

2. I adapted well to changes. Seeing mistakes, trying to correct them on the fly.

3. I can take a punch.

4. I didn't quit even when I was tired tired tired.

The bad:
    1. Don't look away or down during a barrage of punches will get you hit over and over.

2. Sucker for the right hand counter over the jab.

3. Circle more and don't come straight in.

4. Settle down, choose your shots. Don't get wild or chase the opponent after taking a shot, it wastes energy and opens you up.

5. Recover your fist immediately after throwing. Don't let them hang out there.

6. Don't crack the old guys too hard, even if they are beating your ass.
    I got yelled at a few times to "slow it down" and "take it easy".

8. Slacker

Sep 19, 2009
    Its been a while since I posted here.

After my first sparring session, I wasn't very happy with my performance, and the lack of follow up I got from my coach.

I expected a feedback training session afterward to talk about and work on my mistakes and good points. That didn't happen.

Instead, our 1 on 1 Sunday lessons turned into Sunday Sparring Club, and when I came back to the gym there were 10-15 people there next time.

I got no download session from the coach, aside from some quick conversations. We didn't work on 1 on 1 on my mistakes on the mitts, like I expected.

The result was me not being too excited about about getting back in the ring and being someones punching bag. The next, and last two times, I was at the Shamrock I declined sparring. I just didn't feel ready to defend myself against someone who knew what they were doing, and being so out of shape I didn't want to be defenseless and tired at the same time.

9. Slacker

Sep 19, 2009
    During August and September we had some family issues going on, and I wasn't boxing until late in September again.

The nagging feeling that I was avoiding the ring instead of "manning up" got me working out again. My plan was to get into better shape, practice at home or another gym, then show up at the Shamrock and hopefully pickup where I left off.

After several home workouts where I was recording my heavybag and DEB work, I found some flaws I was working on. It turns out that both of my kids are interested in boxing, especially my son who is only 17 months old. He puts on the glove and runs to the bag to wail on it. Its so funny. :)

My daughter and I have been checking out gyms in the area and she seems interested in working out with me, which is awesome.

I've been getting in 2 runs and 1 or 2 boxing sessions on a bad week. On a good week I might get in 3 runs and two boxing workouts.

Mostly, I am working on the 1+2-sidestep, 1+2+3+4, 1+5+3, 1+6+2+3 and mixing in the overhand right. I am also working on the DEB, mostly 1+2's, but some 3's and 4's also.

10. Slacker

Sep 19, 2009
    10/18/2010

Worked out at Spears Amateur Boxing in Cincinnati.

My daughter and I went over to check the place out and had a good workout. Over the course of an hour we worked the Heavybag, showing her the 1+2. I practiced the 1+2 with her.

Tried showing her the Hook, but she wasn't getting it. Her 2 needs work. She's dropping the right hand and throwing an arm punch; no hip rotation. Her jab is coming along, but she chicken wings it sometimes, especially when she is tired.

We worked the DEB, same punches. I worked the speed bag. They had smaller, faster bags than what I have at home. I think I'm ready to step up to a faster bag. I was able to work it just fine on the rickety platform they have there.

Finally, I got into the ring and did some focus mitts with Coach Spears. He had me working on some awkward step-jab+2. It looked horrible. Darby taped it, and the video is here.

He said "I'm going to show you how to hit HARD." I guess those punches were hard, but they were telegraphed to hell and back. Also, the footwork gets you out of position and feels awful.

Everyone who has seen the video said he had no idea what he was doing. I checked him out but could find no pro record for him. Not sure where he got his experience, but he has a nice facility. Family atmosphere.

My daughter liked it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2suh5o719w[/ame]

11. Slacker

Sep 19, 2009
    10/22/2010

Had a solo workout at Spears Amateur Boxing.

Friday night, so it was empty.

I worked the heavybag for 3 rounds. 1+2, 1+2+3, feint+2B

Worked the DEB. 2 rounds of 1+2+3. 1 round of slips, movement and 1+2's.

3 rounds speedbag.

3 rounds of mitts with the coach working on that horrible step-jab+2 combo.

100 punches on the "Spears sparring partner", which is basically a DEB hung horizontally across the room. Guys there hit it 500 to 1000 times before leaving. I did 100 at the end of my workout, given I was already tired, but it was HARD to do.

12. Slacker

Sep 19, 2009
    10/25/2010

Worked out at home. 5 rnds: DEB and Heavybag

Ran 2 miles.

13. Slacker

Sep 19, 2009
    Bad news. The Shamrock Closed.

I talked to my old coach, Terry, the other day and he told me he had to sell the building. He's not running a private gym out of his home.

Looks like I need a new gym. Also, Shamrock needs a new home.

To try to help out like this:

And like this:

You can read the entire thread here: http://www.eastsideboxing.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10316189#post10316189

14. Slacker

Sep 19, 2009
    Today was my first boxing workout in a while.

5 rounds (lost track). 1 rnd speed bag, 2 rnds DEB, 1 Heavy bag, 1 shadow boxing

Lets see how sore I am tomorrow. :)

1. My goals for this fall are to find someone to work the mitts with.

2. Attend a USBA coaching seminar

3. Find a sparring outlet

4. Spar 4 rounds without falling over from exhaustion.

5. Improve in fitness/lose weight.

6. Become a better fighter by training regularly (3 times a week, plus cardio)

15. Slacker

Sep 19, 2009
    Wasn't very sore after last workout.

Friday, 9/30/11, did several rounds (lost track). 3 rnds on new speed bag, 2 rnds DEB, 1 Heavy bag, 1 shadow boxing.

Got this new speed bag in the smallest (5x8 ) size:

This content is protected

http://store.titleboxing.com/rival-new-generation-speed-bag.html

Thought I might have trouble with the smaller, faster size, but I didn't. Went right to work on it and its a lot of fun.