Biggest fight in history?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Freddy Benson., Mar 24, 2023.

1. Freddy Benson.

Freddy Benson. Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Feel free to. It's good to see some accuracy.

Greg Price99 likes this.
  2. Freddy Benson.

Jan 14, 2022
    Can see that too. There are three very close choices for me.

spravedlivylev and Greg Price99 like this.
  3. davidjay

davidjay Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 23, 2009
    At the time, FotC. Now, Rumble in the Jungle.

4. Greg Price99

Greg Price99 Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Great Post Freddy. Its refreshing, in this thread, for me to read opinions on the matters discussed, backed up with educated knowledge.

5. Freddy Benson.

Jan 14, 2022
    Much appreciated and the same with regards to your posts too.

Though just noticed a typo I should have said African American not just American. Accidently deleted that while correctly something else. Typical!

Eddie Ezzard and Greg Price99 like this.
  6. James Page

James Page Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 21, 2023

Do you have any links/references from actual German sources where they describe the fight I'm this way?

7. Freddy Benson.

Jan 14, 2022
    I guess that's a no on the reference for Owens being treated like a star? Do you have any references for anything you have posted? Margolick's book has references to German reports (from the time)to the fight as well as how it was heard within Germany. It's actually a great book. Goes into the social and historical context of both men. Recommended. Though get the impression that nothing will be satisfactory. References to German sources from which period and which sources would you find acceptable?

Greg Price99 has also responded to you with facts on this thread too which you seem to have ignored.

Greg Price99 likes this.
  8. James Page

Mar 21, 2023
    What have I ignored? Everything I stated was my own opinion. Yeah I heard Owens was treated well over there. Don't remember where I heard that and I have no source, but I'm certainly not going to take sources like SNOPES or NY Times at face value when they have proven to spout misinformation to further their own agendas on numerous occasions.
    SNOPES isn't even on the level of a CNN fact checker hack.
    All I said was show me the actual Germans making such statements .
    Not second or third hand accounts from a book.
    Literally everything is on YouTube these days, I'm sure we could find a German press conference or ticker tape parade for Schmelling going into that fight .
    Was Schmelling 1 that significant?
    Why not? It was only a few years before, the Germans were still racist, why wasn't that scene as the fight of the century? True, Louis wasn't champ at the time, but he was certainly already a star in the making.

Why does Ali never mention this fight?
    He had many gripes against the whites. If this was such a black vs white super event, it would have had a profound effect on Ali would it not? I've never seen him mention it and to be honest he always comes off as a bit disrespectful towards Louis ( in my opinion), you would think he would have more reverence for a black super hero like Louis.

Look, I'm sure the fight was a big deal in Germany, I just don't trust the narrative surrounding it, especially when I read in Ring or KO when I was a kid that Schmelling was "shreiking in pain" when carried out after the fight. That was a bald face lie, I've listened to the broadcast multiple times and have heard nothing of the sorts .

Why lie about something like that if there was no agenda being pushed?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  9. Freddy Benson.

Jan 14, 2022
    If you have a fight you want to mention as the biggest in history go ahead.

Greg Price99 likes this.
  10. James Page

Mar 21, 2023
    Well let's see....will only speak for my lifetime, so that would have to include one of the following:

Mayweather vs Pac...
    Mayweather vs ODH...
    ODH vs Trinidad....
    Tyson vs Holyfield....

If you count ODH as a "Mexican", then these were all international mega fights....
    The one exception being Tyson Holyfield

11. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    Biggest fight for reasons outside of boxing -- Louis Schmeling 2
    Biggest fight for boxing itself -- Ali Frazier 1

It would seem difficult to argue with either of these. I guess Jack Johnson beating Tommy Burns gets a runner-up for reasons outside of boxing, as he was the first black HW champ. (then again, the only reason such fights didn't happen before was that everyone knew a black HW champ WOULD exist if they let those fights happen)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    Freddy Benson. and Greg Price99 like this.
  12. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    ODH was born in Los Angeles. He's American. And Trinidad was born in Puerto Rico. He's also American. In what world was this an international fight? It was two American hispanics.

Freddy Benson. and Greg Price99 like this.
  13. James Page

Mar 21, 2023
    While I see the point you are trying to make, trust me, Puerto Ricans are proud of who they are, and none of them claim America over their own country (same goes for Mexicans)

Yes I agree about ODH (same as Andy Ruiz) but TRUST ME, none of them themselves would even claim their American heritage over Mexico or Puerto Rico.... honestly Tito doesn't even speak English, so you're whole argument is bunk

14. Melankomas

Melankomas Prime Jeffries would demolish a grizzly in 2 Full Member

Dec 18, 2022
    The Snopes article debunks the fake photo going around of Hitler and Jesse Owens together, but that different from the photo I'm talking about. Owens never showed this picture publicly, he only talked about having it.

15. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Hi Buddy.
    With regards to the " shrieking " part of your post, that incident was made clearer when I read an article by the much respected british writer Peter Wilson, he was at ringside, and yes there was a " scream " it was during the bombardment of Max by Louis, but emanated from Max,s wife Anny Ondra, who was also at ringside, indeed Max was taken from the stadium to the Polyclinic Hospital on the night, where he stayed for 10 days, and as we all know suffered most of his life with back issues.
    Just a gentle steer, with no rancour, have been impressed with your posts thus far, stay safe amigo.