Biggest fight in history?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Freddy Benson., Mar 24, 2023.

1. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    The "usual suspects" answers to this question are usually: Johnson vs Jeffries, Louis vs Schmeling 2 and the FOTC.

2. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    FOTC closely followed by Louis v Max 2.

Curtis Lowe, Rumsfeld, Pugguy and 2 others like this.
  3. Freddy Benson.

Freddy Benson. Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    It's hard to know how to reply to you. Most of your posts have been so full of inaccuracies both in terms of boxing but also wider history that it's staggering. I could go through this point by point but since you ignore anything that anyone says that disagrees with your opinion, it also seems pointless. The book that I mentioned does note the 'shriek' and that many (including Louis) thought it came from a woman at ringside. It also gives some contemporary German responses to all of this.

"If this was such a black vs white super event,"

It was far more than that, that's been a point of many of the responses to you.

Also not sure why you limited your choices to only your lifetime or by which criteria you chose. Fair enough though it's all subjective and they are your picks.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    mcvey and Greg Price99 like this.
  4. Freddy Benson.

Jan 14, 2022
    Just to say good point about this. Many did think it to be from a woman at ringside but Anny Ondra was not at the fight. She was at home in Germany, Schmeling later said she was not allowed to leave and that was the reason he had never defected.

5. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Yeah but what if we take politics an outside the ring social conflicts out of it? which other fightswould be in contention .I would include

Dempsey vs Tunney 2
    Ali vs Foreman
    Ali vs Frazier 3
    Ali vs Holmes
    Hagler vs Leonard
    Tyson vs Spinks
    Mayweather vs Pacquiao

was gonna included Holmes vs Cooney but the significance of that fight was definitely boosted by the racial overtones

Reinhardt and Pugguy like this.
  6. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    From The Holocaust Encyclopaedia
    When Adolf Hitler and the Nazis came to power in 1933, there were several thousand Black people living in Germany. The Nazi regime discriminated against them because the Nazis viewed Black people as racially inferior. During the Nazi era (1933–1945), the Nazis used racial laws and policies to restrict the economic and social opportunities of Black people in Germany. They also harassed, imprisoned, sterilized, and murdered an unknown number of Black people.

Hitler left the arena before Owens medal ceremony started.

Schmeling let out a scream when he involuntarily turned away from Louis and Joe hit him in the lumbar area fracturing some of his vertebrae.

7. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Hi Buddy.
    No problem being corrected, the writer in question was prone to have a hip flask on him at all times, so maybe he was a tad confused.
    stay safe buddy.

Freddy Benson. likes this.
  8. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Ali Frazier I ,
    Dempsey Tunney II
    Louis Schmeling II

Curtis Lowe likes this.
  9. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Dempsey v Carpentier was the 1st million dollar gate,I suppose it depends on one's own criteria.
    Ali v Frazier was 2 unbeaten heavyweight champions at MSG.it doesn't get much bigger than that ,imo

Freddy Benson. and Pugguy like this.
  10. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    Puerto Rico literally isn't a separate country. It's part of the US. Legally, there's zero difference between someone like Tito and a good ol' boy born in the hills of Tennessee -- US citizens by birth, US passport, etc.

I absolutely get what you're saying (my wife is Mexican, as in she was actually born and raised in Mexico, and has a large extended family living in our area, so I'm very familiar with Mexican culture both from the immigrant end as well as from the US-born and chicano end -- side note, she's still annoyed at me for rooting for Mayweather when he fought Canelo). But, dammit, I'm tired of America somehow not being able to claim our own hispanic fighters.

Sorry. Just being a pain.

Pugguy likes this.
  11. steve21

steve21 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Globally, I'd say a toss between Louis-Schmelling and FOTC ... I have better awareness of the FOTC in my time; two undefeated HWs at the peak of their game, witnessed by 300 million people worldwide. I know the consequences of Louis-Schmelling, but for sheer numbers you'd be hard pressed in a pre-Internet era than Frazier-Ali I.

Pugguy and Curtis Lowe like this.
  12. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I’ve never seen someone defend Hitler, the Nazis and reject any historical record not backed by articles from the Nazi propaganda machine before.

Damn.

Freddy Benson. and Greg Price99 like this.
  13. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    I agree, hard to beat the FOTC but good call on the 1st million-dollar gate which def. has merit to be ranked highly in the discussion, groundbreaking - the celebrity and charisma of the opponents outside the ring bringing even more fans to the sport and creating greater general interest otherwise.

Greg Price99 likes this.
  14. Curtis Lowe

Curtis Lowe Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ali vs Frazier 1, the FOTC. Period.

15. Freddy Benson.

Jan 14, 2022
    Thanks. You too.