Biggest One-Fight "Stock" Drop

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Slyk, Apr 30, 2021.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Wilder throws far less punches than Canelo does, he`s only more exciting because he has morre power and is much easier to hit, Canelo is always moving forward trying to initiate action, his opponents make his fights boring cause they go backwards pot-shotting aside from GGG who had a barn stormer in his rematch v Canelo, Wilder has never been in a fight like that.

2. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Morrison wasn`t universally rated how when he fought Mercder, they were only top 10 contenders fighting for the lesser WBO belt, I don`t know if the viewing figures were that good for that bout.

Blandman likes this.
  3. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    No, Mike Tyson was considered unbeatable before Douglas beat him and he was far more famous globally at that point in 1990, when Tyson losrt to Douglas it made front page news in British newspaper`s, AJ`s loss to Ruiz didn`t.

4. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Then getting beat again.

5. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Don Curry going from P4P No.1 boxder in the world to getting battered by Honeyghan.

Jackman65 likes this.
  6. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Canelo cherry picks. He is very skilled but is hometown protected cash bringer for promotions.
    He did not had fought GGG until did not had noticed that he had declined and Canelo cards are very famous, also Canelo is very boring boxer, to be fair, Ward was more exciting to watch, also there these biased comments in Canelo fights are thing I will never wish to listen again.
    I had better opinions about Canelo and I'm not so delusional about natural juice in pro sport, I think he had been on natural this horsmeat all his career.
    Khan fight watching killed in me any intent to watch his fights anymore.
    This isn't PBF or young DLH or even like Ward in more than half his fights was cool to watch.

Canelo did not had fought vs dudes like pre Beterbiev fight Gvozdyk or 30-35 y.o Beterbiev and for Kovalev beating he does deserve far lesser credit than Yarde for fight he ( Yarde ) had lost.
    Prime Kovalev looks that was too tough for Canelo to fight with.
    Ward at least did this, yeah, as hometown officiated tickets seller but still.

7. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Ward backed off and was very defensive, Canelo throws more hooks and generally does more inside work, Ward was a boring fighter.

Jackman65 likes this.
  8. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    I had watched 7 his fights in top level amateur scene and he then for me looked damn cool to watch.;)

9. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Amateur boxing isn`t as good as pro boxing.

10. Surrix

Sep 16, 2020
    You mean rules and knock outs?
    Yeah, modern pro boxing is about to sell ppvs and charge for tickets and broadcasting rights, advertisements in arenas, on trunks etc, boxer is brand.
    Ammy Ward really was also agile and skilled boxer.

If about stoppages, world history does have not low numbers with ammy boxers who had achieved more stoppages than a lot of notable pro boxers worshiped by ppl in internet.
    Ofc in late 60 ies and then 80 ies, also 90 ies am boxing had changed a lot more to point fighting and still sometimes very bad outcomes happens there and in ammies at medium/ top level you can't get 37+ y.o formerly big names for beat up etc like pro boxing things.
    You can't get anyone with very short notice as opponent in am boxing and you fight vs one dude, then next and then next and maybe next dude in row.
    While in pros you might even get ppl who doesn't train anymore, does have 4 lost fights before this fight, does have records like 0-10-0 or even worse. 40+ y.o big names.

Ofc pro boxing is more watchable and fights are longer.
    If they had things like tournament format, had been common that if you are #8 you attempt to fight with #6-7 or at least #9-10 then pro boxing had been more intensive, more competitive, less boring.

11. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    AJs loss was front news

12. James Hudson

James Hudson Active Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Was my thoughts as soon as i seen this thread. Don 'the cobra' Curry was seen as one of the top P4P in a golden era.....he never recovered from what Honeyghan done to him

heerko koois likes this.
  13. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Felix Trinidad getting schooled and stopped by Bernard Hopkins was huge

Trinidad was undefeated, had beaten DLH, Whitaker, Vargas, demolished William Joppy and was seen as the P4P successor to Roy Jones. Hopkins on the other hand was seen as an old man there for the taking, didn't quite play out like that

14. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    No, boxers improve in the pro ranks that`s why they start off with easy fights until they develop and are ready for title shots, how many amateurs can win a world title in their first pro fight?