Biggs Vs Bugner in October 87; your call?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by TBooze, Sep 22, 2020.

1. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Both lost to fighters at or near their prime that month. And were results that would indeed help set up Tyson/BrunoI in Feb 89. But what if Joe and Tyrell had met each other instead that month?

Jamal Perkins likes this.
  2. SerbianLoudmouth

SerbianLoudmouth Overhand right-Suzie Q Full Member

May 3, 2019
    Bugner would beat him badly even a past prime Bugner.
    Prime for prime Bugner kills him in 5 rounds.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  3. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    No way could Bugner finish Biggs quicker than a prime Tyson.

ideafix12 likes this.
  4. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Bugner on points

5. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Biggs lasted longer against a Rooney trained Tyson than Bruno did v an out of sorts Tyson, a prime Mike would have destryoyed Bugner far quicker than he destroyed Biggs in `87, Biggs were far quicker than the fatter oldder Bugner, he was finished, Biggs was a top 10 contender in `87 and Bugner was nowhdere near that level by that stage.

6. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    `87 Bugner would be out boxed by Biggs by using his superior speed

7. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Although my pick would be Biggs, it is wrong to say Bugner was nowhere near the top 10.

A weak era meant wins over Tillis, Bey and Page over the previous 12 months or so got Bugner in the top 10 debate.

Indeed a Bey coming off the Bugner defeat was second only to Snipes in the quality of Biggs' resume at the time. And no one I knew did not think Biggs was a top 10 fighter at the time.

Jamal Perkins likes this.
  8. SerbianLoudmouth

SerbianLoudmouth Overhand right-Suzie Q Full Member

May 3, 2019
    I agree abiut the old Bugner who would need 7-10 rounds while young would need 5 rounds

9. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Bugner didn`t have the power to knock Biggs out, his punch technique v Bruno was sloppy and his body looked untrained.

10. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Tillis did far better v Tyson than Bugner would have.

11. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Not really a fair match up. In 1987 Joe was broke, as usual and turned up to face Bruno for the £1m cheque he was getting.
    The 1973 version of Bugner would have ruined Tyrell Biggs. Even the 1982 Bugner would not have been detained for long.

12. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    The "Aussie Joe" portion of bugners career was arguably his most succesful...the 3 consective wins over a still useful tillis,bey and page were impressive...however i dont think he gets past biggs ....biggs for all his drug abuse and poor dedication was still a live fighter up until the mason loss.bugner hasnt the power to put him away...and i think biggs will win over 10 rounds

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    TBooze likes this.
  13. Jamal Perkins

Oct 19, 2012
    Fair play its a worthy opinion...but the 1982"ish version bugner lost to an ancient shavers,marvis frazier & stefan tangstad.

I like bugner but he akways lacked dedication and consistency...sure he was fighting the fraziers,alis,lyles and shavers..but he always lost the big ones.

The bruno fight was actually very winnable...but he turns up 20-25 lbs over weight and foolishly trying to roughouse a master rabbit puncher like bruno....the momentt the payday was signed he seemed to lose his determination vs bruno......still the hate in the crowd thst night was a disgrace...as well as the refereeing

TBooze and LoadedGlove like this.
  14. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Good points all Jamal but I still think he hammers Biggs who was already struggling with cocaine and depression. Biggs' people had to feed him a bunch of has beens and stiffs to blow him up into a contender for a payday against Tyson. The rest of his career was sad to watch as he became an instant stepping stone.

TBooze and Jamal Perkins like this.
  15. Jamal Perkins

Oct 19, 2012
    I see where your coming from loaded.