Billy Joe and Callum Smith to have tick over fights in November

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by NasalSpray, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Patter983

Patter983 Active Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Have you seen the list of opponents put forward for Billy’s “ tick over fight “ top of the list Martin Murray !!!

This was a **** fight two years ago !!! When they were suppose to fight , Murray is 38 in a few weeks has been done for over three years now ! Ridiculous fight if this gets made

2. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    A "tick over" is what it says on the tin and a British fighter obviously makes things much easier given the current corona saga.

If this is going to be in November then to be honest, although he's on the slide Martin Murray is about as good as we can hope for and FAR better than dragging over some Latvian bin man.

After this though, Billy needs to be active and his name shouldn't be mentioned next to "tick over" fights. He needs to crack the whip on his career otherwise his talent is going down the shitter.

kojak, Holler and Smudge_ like this.
  3. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    We say this after every fight he has and im sure we will say it again.

wassupjg and Journey Man like this.
  4. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    This post gave me a flashback to school 1983..i was asked what id wish for if given 1 wish i said "israel give back the land to Palestinians,theu become best friends than make the USSR and America talk and become best friends.Than they all come to my birthday party"

5. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    I wouldnt call them " hugely talented"...bj sinus is a limited guy who knows it..the ticking over is a strategy to enhance his "brand". All of them think they are mayweather.he had talent...sinus and mundane are domestic at heart

6. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Someone on Twitter had make a fake poster for BJS vs MM and put Sky Sports Box office. The depressing thing was I had to check it hadnt been announced on PPV

Patter983 likes this.
  7. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Is quite funny, all the narrative that he is a "fighting man". His toughest oppenent since 1 Jan 2018 is Shefat Isufi

I did think Warren was the one unable to get things done for BJS. But isnt looking that way at all.

Scissors, Patter983 and Journey Man like this.
  8. jm2729v

jm2729v Active Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2016
    While they both frustrate me it is not fair to put Billy Joe and Callum in the same category. Billy Joe has had many many more chances and has taken fans for a ride for much much longer. British fans need to let BJS go, he's not what we wanted him to be.

Jurgen likes this.
  9. ArseBandit

ArseBandit Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Can Callum have a 'tick over fight' against Ryder again please.

wassupjg, Wizbit1013, Smudge_ and 2 others like this.
  10. Carlton Cole

Carlton Cole Member banned Full Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Pair of them are nothing fighters now. Ryder bashed the weirdly entitled Smith and billy joe looks like 2017 Tyson Fury. Sick of hearing about the pair of them. Far cry from the days of Groves, Froch and even Degale who fronted up on the road in big fights

Smudge_, Patter983, Scissors and 3 others like this.
  11. ipitythefool

ipitythefool Prediction ? Pain Full Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Mundane Smith is only interested in a cash out with ginger nuts. He has no ambition for anything else.

12. Donald Donaldson

Donald Donaldson Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I've always liked BJS he's clearly a character and it's a refreshing to see a top fighter who has a bit of a personality and doesn't just go along with whatever he's told to say. His main problem has never been promoters or lack of opportunity though, it's always been his total lack of discipline and laziness.

In the past few years that brief 12 month or so spell he had with Dominic Ingle when he had the Monroe/Lemieux fights back to back is the only time he has looked in good shape and dedicated. Maybe no coincidence it's exactly then that he had his 'nose spray' issues and failed a drug test? Every time nowadays he does an interview he looks about 16 stone!

He's looked awful at supper middle, to me he lost at least 50% of the movement and sharpness he had at his natural weight.

At this point I don't really think it matters who he fights next. I think if/when he does step up in a serious fight at world level he will get beaten and without a belt at 32 next year he won't want to fight for the sort of money available to him at a level or two down from where he is now.

wassupjg, Inglis_1 and Smudge_ like this.
  13. NasalSpray

NasalSpray Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2018
    This content is protected

14. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Absolute joke that BJS and Smith aren’t fighting each other next. Does either fighter have any aspiration to win another world title? It’s been a terrible division for a while now. We didn’t even get all the best 168’s together in the WBSS which had to be padded out with 160’s, a career 175 fighter and a kick boxer. Utter drivel.

Jurgen, kojak, Skyver and 1 other person like this.
  15. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    It’s a joke if it doesn’t happen after this next fight each for them. Right now it’s obvious they aren’t going to fight without an audience. I wish they would but just never going to happen.

I just hope Smith gets a better opponent than Murray.

Twentyman likes this.