Billy Joe Saunders is Andrade's next mandatory challenger

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Smudge_, Jan 22, 2019.

1. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Yeah, I think in the context of things the Lemieux fight tends to see him get slightly overrated. Very close wins over Lee, Eubank and Akavov don't scream 'this is the guy to beat Canelo' to me.

2. ButeTheBeast

ButeTheBeast Well-Known Member Full Member

May 27, 2012
    This is effectively an eliminator for the winner of Canelo-Jacobs.

Billy has a chance to land the Canelo shot.

Scissors likes this.
  3. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    After watching Frank latest IFL I’m Not too sure whether Billy takes this fight, over in America, VADA testing again and only 25% split!

It’s a lot of obstacles/excuses.

4. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Slightly overrated, he put on one of the best ever displays for a British fighter abroad. He boxed his head off. He knocked Lee down twice and deserved the win. It took Junior over 6 rounds to lay a glove on him. Akavov was dull as dishwater but Andrade just had the same problem with him. He boxed Spike’s head off too. He’s world class in the ring but unfortunately a work class bell**d out of it.

DirtyOldTown and Scissors like this.
  5. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    BJS has had a few close cards in the past go his way. I can see him winning this but not getting the result this time round.

6. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I'm not saying he didn't deserve the wins against Eubank and Lee, but they were close.

He's obviously very talented, but it was strange after the Lemieux fight that all of a sudden he was a massive threat to Golovkin. The same Golovkin who won every round against Lemieux, dropped him and stopped him in eight.

7. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    I could see why they were saying that, stylistically it was a pretty special performance.

Wizbit1013 and Snowy1989 like this.
  8. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Lemieux was an unfit mess against BJS, as good a performance as it was, it wrongly elevated him to a level where people were talking about him as if he was Sugar Ray Robinson.

9. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    You’re just coming across as a hater now.

10. EJC83

Jan 20, 2019
    There was no hate in my post, I merely stated that , in my opinion, BJS beating Lemieux elevated him to a higher level than he deserved. I rate BJS highly, I think he's a very good boxer, as I've said before.

Twentyman likes this.
  11. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Fair play. Personally, I think Lemieux gave 100% in that training camp and came into that fight to knock BJS spark out. Stylistically, it was the best opponent for Saunders to showcase his talents. That was not an easy fight, and Lemieux certainly wasn’t an easy opponent. BJS will not be able to perform like that against every opponent but he knows what it takes to get the win imo.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  12. caligula4

caligula4 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2011
    The thing with BJS and only talking inside the ring, as no need highlighting what we all know in my point, is that he shows such inconsistencies. Will look great in fights, even look great in 7 rounds of a fight, and then slack off. Many have said it before but it's very true, he's a boxer that raises his performance and gets up for the level of ability and performance in the opponent. He's the most frustrating to like and keep up with, due to such poor performances, inactivity in the ring. He's had a good career but a very inactive one, and I'm still stunned and confused as to where he would be if he'd somehow fought at the top level 2-3 times a year. I think a lack of power would have been his downfall at the very top, but really hope we one day find out as time is ticking.

13. EJC83

Jan 20, 2019
    Up until this point BJS has done all that he has needed to do, to stay unbeaten and be considered one of the top boxers in the Middleweight division. As Caligula4 mentioned, had he had 2-3 fights a year against top level fighters it might be different , who knows, he might be the undisputed champion, I don't think we'll ever know though as I don't think he's that kind of fighter, which is a shame as he's very talented and entertaining out of the ring and can sell a fight, he just doesn't have enough of them.

caligula4, Twentyman and Scissors like this.
  14. DirtyOldTown

DirtyOldTown Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Billy-Joe takes this Bum Bum Andrade to school. Will rightfully regain his title.