Billy Joe Saunders is going to shock the world!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by xnico, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    I will be shocked if Sanders wins this one.

Sap1en and Malph like this.
  2. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I'm going to put some money on Saunders.

I won't be shocked if he is better fighter on the night. Something just tells me he is a bad matchup for Canelo.

But ill be very surprised if he is good enough to overcome the 3 round handicap thr ginger boi tends to get. So I dont expect a return on my investment.

3. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    can anybody tell me what BJS has done to justify any sort of confidence in him?

Lemieux? Sure, OK, it was a good performance, but let's be honest, Lemieux was tailor made for BJS, what has happened since then? Anything? I'll wait..

Saunders is living off one performance and it's starting to pee me off.

Canelo spanks him senseless, it's going to be a brutal watch, brutal.

Actually to be honest, I don't even think the fight happens, BJS will find a way to wriggle out of it.

Sap1en, Toney F*** U and Badbot like this.
  4. NEETzschean

NEETzschean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2021
    Canelo to win at 1/5 implies an 83.3% chance of victory (you'd have to win your bet five times out of six to break even). If Canelo and BJS fought 100 times, how many would BJS win or even get a draw?

Seeing as Canelo went 24 rounds with GGG without being wobbled, let alone dropped, I think we can safely rule out a Saunders KO. Then we look at the judging in the first GGG fight where I had Golovkin winning 10 rounds and we see a scorecard of 118-110 Canelo and a draw scored overall. And Saunders will be the B-side more than GGG was. Hell will freeze over before two judges give BJS 6 rounds, let alone 7 (that's if Canelo doesn't stop BJS late after he gasses). Saunders has not been a consummate professional over the years while Canelo has and Canelo is the better fighter to top it all off. It won't be difficult for all three judges to find 7+ rounds for Canelo.

So all that being said, I don't give BJS even a 5% chance of getting anything from this fight other than a paycheck. Anyone thinking about betting on BJS should save their money and bet on Canelo, either outright or on points. The return is small but the risk is miniscule.

5. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I like to live dangerously with my $50 a gamble a month

6. eltirado

eltirado Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Billy is an undefeated 180cm tall slick Gypsy, he is the bigger man. He is supposed to outbox the smaller Canelo

160cm short Avtandil Khurtsidze 10-0 run vs top 160 contenders shocked the world, he had to be put in Jail, because he easily beats all DAZN products, no one wants to see his Middleweight heavily promoted products get stomped down by a violent midget

Sap1en likes this.
  7. hoopsman

hoopsman Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2005
    A fit, dialed in Saunders is a handful stylistically for anyone from 160-168.

Canelo fights with a next level IQ, however, and simply has more wrinkles to his game.

Canelo 116-112 in a competitive bout.

Carl Weathers likes this.
  8. Malph

Malph Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Saunders boxes well early then gets brutally starched.

9. eltirado

Jul 31, 2013
    • Didn't lose
    • Didn't duck
    • Too disagreeable to make deals
    BJS should be able to outbox Canelo, no shock no upset...close fight slightly favoring BJS

10. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013

Didn't lose... yeah, true but he hasn't really fight anybody worth fighting.

Didn't duck... hmmm, hasn't fought Canelo, GGG, Jacobs and a long list of others, maybe not blatant ducking but to me his resume suggests he avoids big fights

Too disagreeable to make deals... What does that even mean? In my opinion he looks for reasons not to make fights, he finds excuses, any other fighter would be accused of pricing themselves out, asking for too much or ducking.

Since Lemieux.. BJS went the distance with a shot to pieces Murray, struggled with Coceres and eventually got the stoppage very late, went the distance with Isufi, had old man Amadu retire.

In roughly the same time Canelo has beaten GGG, battered Rocky Fielding, beat Jacobs, knocked out Kovalev at 175 and beat the apparent number 1, ring magazine champion at 168 Smith in a very very one sided lesson.

There is no comparison, it isn't even close, BJS is not on the same level, this is about levels and BJS hasn't shown anything to suggest he is on the same level as Canelo, nothing.

This may, at best for Saunders go a little like Kelly Avanesyan, if BJs is at his best then he will start fast, have a few good rounds and then Canelo will just beat him up.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  11. Jackman65

Jackman65 FJB Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    I’d be shocked if BJS comes back to his old form and fights two good opponents in the same year. He has squandered his career and made so many poor choices. I liked him over Canelo a few years ago but we haven’t seen that BJS in a long time. Fury resurrected his career so anything is possible. Not sure if it’s probably for this guy although he’s a colorful personality and would make boxing more interesting if he came back. I don’t think he can KO Canelo and can’t see the judges giving BJS a decision no matter how well he does. His prospects of winning this one are very slim.

12. DramaShow

DramaShow 19 banned Full Member

Dec 22, 2020
    At 160, I'd give him every chance of giving Canelo a tough fight, not as tough as GGG, but a competitive fight.

At 168 BJS has no chance. He doesn't have the power to hurt Canelo, nor does he have the size to assert his dominance in the ring.

13. eltirado

Jul 31, 2013
    It means BJS will not accept any $ at the expense of his legacy. It doesn't have to be a blatant dive, legacy is sold via concessions (catch weight or short notice or any other disadvantage in return for paper). When the Swiss debaser had the sit-down with 43-0 Canelo & then a jittery DLH...Canelo made a deal and became a vassal of Floyd Mayweather forever.

Because of making deals, Canelo is basically a laborer from Floyd's POV
    • If BJS loses, it boosts Floyd Mayweather legacy
    • If Canelo loses, it boosts BJS legacy

14. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Very good, rational analysis. Did you include Adelaide Byrd in you equations? Would impact Saunders' odds of losing very much.

15. FromBuenosAires

FromBuenosAires Active Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2019
    Motivated master boxer saunders is as mythical as focused kevin mitchell , he beats anyone but never actually shows up. Saunders has stagnated and squandered his career after his big break against lemieux and ruin his opportunity against andrade, since then he is back fighting at euro level.

Sap1en likes this.