Billy Joe Saunders making excuses already not sounding confident

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Olu G. Rotimi, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    I don't think saying Canelos fights having crooked officiating is an excuse.. that's just common knowledge. I'll be honest, I don't have huge expectations for Billy Joe Saunders in this fight, not many do but I think he'll do better than Callum Smith who embarrassed himself imo.. 2 years he talked up that fight yet when it happened he looked like absolute trash.. British fighters need to start getting their act together because it is getting embarrassing now. Covid or no Covid .. Saunders on his day is world-class and good enough to compete with any middleweight or super middleweight… his form is just too unreliable though. If this fight isn't competitive I'll be surprised. Because Saunders genuinely looks focused and in top shape…

Toney F*** U, iii, BoxerToxer and 3 others like this.
  2. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Don't you get the point though? I mean in terms of Amir Khan was able to win rounds early on by using footwork, landing, then getting out. That in-and-out movement was effective early on and I think we could see something similar early on here. Obviously Saunders is different, not as chinny as Khan, bigger, southpaw, etc, and yes Canelo has improved since then. But if Amir Khan could win rounds vs Canelo, why can't Saunders? And with Saunders, he's not chinny like Khan, so he's not gonna get sparked out like Khan did I don't think. So that's potentially a problem for Canelo. Saunders could have a similar amount of success that Khan had early on, but without the getting sparked out part.

3. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    I agree with all of this, except for that part where you said Canelo's fights having crooked officiating being "common knowledge". That's just propaganda. You don't get to the level in the sport that Canelo has by just randomly being the beneficiary of crooked officiating over and over again. Canelo obviously has massive next-level talent and his performances speak for themselves. Saunders appears to have gotten himself in great shape, so we could be in for a great fight.

4. kiwi_boxer

kiwi_boxer nighty night, ellerbe ☠ ☠ ☠ banned Full Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Come on now lads, let's not get in the way of their agenda :nonono HOW DARE you make up these tracking marks, clen, failed tests, and outrageous scorecards :lol:

iii, BCS8, Wizbit1013 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Canelo received all sorts of flack for picking Khan to fight at that time. It was seen as a complete mismatch. Everyone worried for Khan's safety. Canelo heard it and took it easy on him for a couple rounds. Then he nearly killed him.

The situation is totally different. People have been locked down and are ready to celebrate. There will be a large crowd on hand. Everyone is ready to explode. Canelo can't wait to perform in front of a large crowd of his people. It's a celebratory weekend. And Saunders is complaining about judges.

Saunders is Khan, but Canelo won't take it easy on him. And the crowd won't have a soft spot for Saunders, like they did Khan. They are coming to see blood.

Like I said, wrong time, wrong place, wrong opponent. It will be brutal while it lasts.

Texas isn't Vegas.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Olu G. Rotimi likes this.
  6. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    Saunders complaining about judges is part of a tactic to try and put himself in a better position on the night. Saunders is playing mind games. He also said he's a fan of Canelo and considered Canelo his idol lol. This is the sort of stuff that Billy Joe does to generate interest and motivate himself.

I see the picture you are envisioning that this is going to be a showcase match for Canelo. And maybe it will, but I'm just not convinced it will. I think there's a good chance that Saunders will show up and have a lot of success, as Khan did early. And unlike Khan, Saunders won't tire or fatigue and won't get caught, I don't think. I could be wrong, but that's just my sense of what could happen.

7. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Dude, if Saunders tries to stay away and hold, the boos that will rain down won't win help him any rounds anyway. He's going to have to fight, and he's going to get hurt. That's all.

Wrong place, wrong time, wrong opponent. He's a human sacrifice. It could be as bad as Duran-Moore. These guys are on different levels. Canelo is WAY up here, and Saunders isn't.

8. BrainyBoxer

BrainyBoxer Active Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2016
    I'm surprised we got this far. Saunders normally ruins this kind of opportunity.

Toney F*** U likes this.
  9. Rico Spadafora

Rico Spadafora Master of Chins Full Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Texas is one of if not the most corrupt state commission in Boxing. How long have you been watching boxing? Are you aware of the history there of corruption when it comes to referees and judges? Are you aware of the disgraceful acts of Dickie and Laurence Cole? Yes Dickie is dead now but his corruption via his handpicked minions is still alive and well.

iii and Wizbit1013 like this.
  10. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    it wasnt so much that particular statement and what it literally means, but more the focus and energy of a fighter going into the biggest fight of his life. a fighter who has been waiting for the opportunity to show how good he is sounds a lot different. why even bring that up? what purpose does it serve?

Olu G. Rotimi likes this.
  11. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    How dare a boxer not give it the "I'm so grateful to Saul Alvarez" spiel.

Let's crucify him for being honest.

Toney F*** U, iii, kiwi_boxer and 2 others like this.
  12. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Nothing like getting your excuses in early eh.

13. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    Yes I see that.

14. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    Rubbish sorry I am not buying this. Loser mindsets make excuses.

15. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Mans just stating facts

Toney F*** U, iii, BCS8 and 1 other person like this.